Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bunny4jeff
    • By Bunny4jeff 25th Aug 17, 12:32 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Bunny4jeff
    How to reclaim PPI from Abbey National mortgage
    • 25th Aug 17, 12:32 PM
    How to reclaim PPI from Abbey National mortgage 25th Aug 17 at 12:32 PM
    Hi,
    Id appreciate any help on reclaiming any PPI from an old mortgage I held with the Abbey National back in the 1980's. I have made a claim through a PPI claiming source, but they say I need to supply evidence I had a mortgage with the Abbey National before I can put in a claim. I don't have any evidence now as the mortgage was paid up and closed when I transferred the mortgage to a different company, (the Woolwich). The Woolwich mortgage details can be traced as it now belongs to Barclays.
    Does anyone know to whom I write or email, to get this evidence, ie. account number etc. I've been told that because the Abbey was taken over by Santander, a foreign company, that this information is not available. There must be some way of finding it, as I had a mortgage with them for quite a few years, and I believe we had to take out PPI or the mortgage offer would not be made.
    Many thanks for any advice.
Page 1
    • Nearlyold
    • By Nearlyold 25th Aug 17, 2:12 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    Nearlyold
    • 25th Aug 17, 2:12 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 2:12 PM
    All you can do is ask Santander if they can find your details of the mortgage or spend £10 on an SAR asking for all the information they have on you (which may be none at all after 30 odd years)

Are you sure you had MPPI it was not common in the 80s, I would have thought it was more likely life insurance or a MIG (Mortgage Indemnity Guarantee) compulsory if you didn't have a large enough deposit to put down at the time.
    Last edited by Nearlyold; 25-08-2017 at 2:16 PM.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 25th Aug 17, 2:29 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 2,639 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 25th Aug 17, 2:29 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 2:29 PM
    Why would you expect someone to keep your records from thirty years ago?

Santander, a foreign company
    'Dem foreigners, stealing our jobs and our banking records ...
    • societys child
    • By societys child 25th Aug 17, 4:38 PM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 4,851 Thanks
    societys child
    • 25th Aug 17, 4:38 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 4:38 PM
    I've been told that because the Abbey was taken over by Santander, a foreign company, .
    Many thanks for any advice.
    Originally posted by Bunny4jeff
    Santander UK is not actually a foreign company, but anyway, after 30 years . . .

• dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 25th Aug 17, 11:37 PM
    • 89,519 Posts
    • 54,968 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 25th Aug 17, 11:37 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 11:37 PM
    Id appreciate any help on reclaiming any PPI from an old mortgage I held with the Abbey National back in the 1980's. I have made a claim through a PPI claiming source, but they say I need to supply evidence I had a mortgage with the Abbey National before I can put in a claim. I don't have any evidence now as the mortgage was paid up and closed when I transferred the mortgage to a different company, (the Woolwich).
    As MPPI was a late 80s product and didnt really go mainstream until early 90s, are you even sure you had it?

Evidence of mortgage doesnt matter. MPPI never appeared on any mortgage documentation. It was standalone.

and I believe we had to take out PPI or the mortgage offer would not be made.
    Not in the 80s you didnt. You probably needed life assurance and home insurance as a mandatory condition back then. There would likely have been MIG as well if you did not have a large enough deposit.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • jodieD
    • By jodieD 30th Aug 17, 7:02 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jodieD
    • 30th Aug 17, 7:02 AM
    • 30th Aug 17, 7:02 AM
    We had a mortgage with Abbey National back in 1998 about that time, don't have any details of the mortgage or the correct year when it was taken out. Since 2011 we got devolved etc. Can I still claim, like I said don't have any detail number of account etc.
    • Vectis
    • By Vectis 30th Aug 17, 7:09 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Vectis
    • 30th Aug 17, 7:09 AM
    • 30th Aug 17, 7:09 AM
    We had a mortgage with Abbey National back in 1998 about that time, don't have any details of the mortgage or the correct year when it was taken out. Since 2011 we got devolved etc. Can I still claim, like I said don't have any detail number of account etc.
    Originally posted by jodieD

What are you intending to claim for?
    • Joby Fox
    • By Joby Fox 30th Aug 17, 10:23 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joby Fox
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:23 AM
    MIG or PPI?
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:23 AM
    'Are you sure you had MPPI it was not common in the 80s, I would have thought it was more likely life insurance or a MIG (Mortgage Indemnity Guarantee) compulsory if you didn't have a large enough deposit to put down at the time.' (quoted from NearlyOld above).
    Please explain the difference between PPI and MIG. My situation is very similar: 1982 mortgage with Abbey National; I was told the policy was compulsory as I had a 100% mortgage. I think it was called Mortgage Indemnity Guarantee. I had to pay a one-off premium as a lump sum, as I recall. I was in secure employment at the time with good sick pay so did not need such a policy. Isn't it PPI?
    Last edited by Joby Fox; 30-08-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: trying to show origin of quote
    • zx81
    • By zx81 30th Aug 17, 10:24 AM
    • 13,196 Posts
    • 13,509 Thanks
    zx81
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:24 AM
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:24 AM
    No. It's MIG.

It's a one off premium for a policy which the lender required you to take out if you wanted their mortgage.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 30th Aug 17, 10:32 AM
    • 89,519 Posts
    • 54,968 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Originally posted by jodieD
    As most MPPI is rejected, what is it that you think they did wrong?
    Did you even have MPPI? (could it have been life assurance - the far more dominant product used with mortgages)
    Abbey National mortgages were arranged by brokers and branches. Was yours a broker/adviser or via the branch (although in 1998, brokers would often use the branches of the lender)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • mardycow
    • By mardycow 30th Aug 17, 10:41 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    mardycow
    answered my question thanks
    I had mortgage with Alliance and Leicester - became Abbey National then Santander way back in the late 1980s, I do have all the old paperwork and had gone through it all but seen no mention of PPI although I also could remember having to pay that large sum even though i was a civil servant and covered for sickness etc, That has answered my question and put my mind at rest thinking i might have been eligible for refund. Thanks again, this forum is such a good resource
    • Joby Fox
    • By Joby Fox 30th Aug 17, 10:50 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joby Fox
    isn't MIG PPI by another name?
    Thanks. Yes, Abbey National told me I had to buy this policy as a condition of getting the mortgage. But I still don't see how it (MIG or whatever it was called) differs from PPI. Its purpose was insurance to pay the mortgage instalments during any prolonged period of sick leave or unemployment. Isn't that what PPI was sold for?

PS: I was replying to zx81's post above. I clicked 'Reply' under that post but my reply appears further down the thread. How do you quote part of someone else's comment in orange?
    Last edited by Joby Fox; 30-08-2017 at 10:53 AM. Reason: to explain who I was replying to
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 30th Aug 17, 10:54 AM
    • 89,519 Posts
    • 54,968 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Abbey National told me I had to buy this policy as a condition of getting the mortgage.
    Yes. MIG was a condition of borrowing. Lenders were allowed and are still allowed today to make conditions of borrowing. So, even if it was PPI, if the lender insisted on it, then it cannot have been missold.

But I still don't see how it (MIG or whatever it was called) differs from PPI. I
    MIG has as much in common as PPI as your car insurance does.

Its purpose was insurance to pay the mortgage instalments during any prolonged period of sick leave or unemployment. Isn't that what PPI was sold for?
    MIG did not cover sick leave or unemployment. MIG was charged to those borrowing above a certain percentage against the low to value. If you defaulted and were repossessed, it paid towards any shortfall if there was negative equity. MIG was a benefit for the lender. They just got you to pay for it.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 30th Aug 17, 10:56 AM
    • 89,519 Posts
    • 54,968 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I had mortgage with Alliance and Leicester - became Abbey National then Santander way back in the late 1980s, I do have all the old paperwork and had gone through it all but seen no mention of PPI although I also could remember having to pay that large sum even though i was a civil servant and covered for sickness etc, That has answered my question and put my mind at rest thinking i might have been eligible for refund. Thanks again, this forum is such a good resource
    Originally posted by mardycow
    Just so you know, the FOS do not consider employer sickpay an issue with MPPI as long as the MPPI pays out in addition to employer benefits. They have been rejecting complaints where there is 12 months sick pay when its MPPI. The reason being that a mortgage is a large secured debt with consequences if it goes unpaid. i.e. a serious debt. When its short term unsecured debt, the FOS is more likely to uphold a complaint where there is 12 months sick pay. MPPI is still sold today. One of only two types of PPI that is.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 30th Aug 17, 11:29 AM
    • 19,304 Posts
    • 9,413 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Abbey National told me I had to buy this policy as a condition of getting the mortgage. But I still don't see how it (MIG or whatever it was called) differs from PPI. Its purpose was insurance to pay the mortgage instalments during any prolonged period of sick leave or unemployment.
    Originally posted by Joby Fox
    It protected the lender (from negative equity), not you, and would only come into play if you defaulted on the mortgage and were repossessed. It didn't cover your unemployment or sickness.

You cannot complain it was mis-sold because it was indeed a condition of mortgages in which the borrower required a loan with little or no deposit. If you didn't want to pay the MIG, you had the option of saving for a bigger deposit.

So no refund will ever be forthcoming to you, I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 30-08-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 30th Aug 17, 7:50 PM
    • 7,348 Posts
    • 4,779 Thanks
    -taff
    MIG protects the lender, PPI is supposed to protect the borrower.

You were not missold in any case, as it was a conditoon of your 100% mortgage.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 30th Aug 17, 10:05 PM
    • 19,304 Posts
    • 9,413 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    your 100% mortgage.
    Originally posted by -taff
    Very unlikely to have been a 100% mortgage in 1982, but nevertheless one granted with a very small deposit.
    • Joby Fox
    • By Joby Fox 31st Aug 17, 12:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joby Fox
    Now clear that MIG isn't PPI!
    Very unlikely to have been a 100% mortgage in 1982, but nevertheless one granted with a very small deposit.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Actually I did have a 100% mortgage, from Abbey National, in 1982. I'm sure of that.
    Thanks for the various explanations above about the difference between MIG and PPI. It makes sense. I didn't feel I was mis-sold, but as everyone else seems to be getting on the claim bandwagon I just wondered if I was missing out on something I should be claiming too! Glad to know that isn't the case.
    • Nolucksofar
    • By Nolucksofar 11th Sep 17, 4:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nolucksofar
    Hopeless!
    Perhaps someone can shed light on problem similar to he one above. Took out a mortgage with Abbey National in 1980s which continued in various guises until around 1995 when I changed to The Coventry. I have no paperwork to support my claim for PPI from Abbey National as a box of personal paperwork went 'missing' during a house move. Abbey National say they cannot identify me even with all my personal details and three previous addresses - for which I had mortgages with them. When I took out the original mortgage (endowment) I also had to take out another insurance because they would not lend me the amount asked for without it. It was not a one off payment (MIG?) but a separate insurance which continued until the mortgage was paid off. I had the full deposit required. Was this a form of PPI, and why can't Abbey National identify me? Sorry if I have added this the wrong way but I am new to the forum and not sure how to do this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone actually been successful in claiming PPI from Abbey National?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 13,196 Posts
    • 13,509 Thanks
    zx81
    why can't Abbey National identify me?
    Originally posted by Nolucksofar
    This is why -

Took out a mortgage with Abbey National in 1980s which continued in various guises until around 1995
    Originally posted by Nolucksofar
    It was 22 years ago.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,033Posts Today

8,778Users online

Martin's Twitter