Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JUAN8888
    • By JUAN8888 25th Aug 17, 10:45 AM
    • 26Posts
    • 6Thanks
    JUAN8888
    MBNA money transfers
    • 25th Aug 17, 10:45 AM
    MBNA money transfers 25th Aug 17 at 10:45 AM
    I recently applied and got an MBNA 4.9% card to use for money transfers. I did one initial transfer for around £8K into my bank account but because it was a new bank account (and the details were different to the one in my application form), it seemed to trip up on their fraud indicators. It took quite a few calls to sort that out and the transfer was eventually completed on Monday.

I then cleared out the MBNA balance by transferring to another card to leave a nil balance on the account as of Wednesday.

I've just tried to do another online money transfer to the same bank account but I'm getting a message saying that I need to call them as I've recently used this account for a transfer but it suggests I can nominate another account instead.

Is this normal for MBNA? The first encounter took so long to resolve going through so many calls and details that I don't really want to go through this for each transfer.

Do they frown on multiple transfers in a short space of time, or is it just their normal policy to require phone transfers in this situation?
Page 1
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 25th Aug 17, 12:59 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 25th Aug 17, 12:59 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 12:59 PM
    I made multiple Money Transfers from my MBNA card in March, most only a few days apart but that was to the current account that pays my MBNA card by DD each month. No problems or delays.
    • Chapuys
    • By Chapuys 25th Aug 17, 1:31 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Chapuys
    • 25th Aug 17, 1:31 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 1:31 PM
    When I money transferred from MBNA, I was only allowed to withdraw 95% of the limit.. maybe because you have tried to zero out the account using a transfer, it flagged it up?

The total transfer amount (which includes any transfer fees) plus any balances already on your account and any transfer requests already made, cannot be more than 95% of your credit limit. This is to allow for future transactions on the account.
    https://www.mbna.co.uk/understanding-credit/understanding-transfers/balance-transfers/
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
    • Mogley
    • By Mogley 25th Aug 17, 11:06 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Mogley
    • 25th Aug 17, 11:06 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 11:06 PM
    I carried out multiple money transfers last month to a different current account each time because of the message you describe. I had no problems with the transfers. On one of them they contacted me directly to confirm I had actually requested it so this delayed one by a couple of days but because I was doing multiple, I suppose they have to check for fraud/money laundering purposes.
    No.25 for 2017 £1070/£4000 saved.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,237Posts Today

8,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin