Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mr Juggles
    • By Mr Juggles 25th Aug 17, 10:17 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Mr Juggles
    Damson chutney question
    • 25th Aug 17, 10:17 AM
    Damson chutney question 25th Aug 17 at 10:17 AM
    Can you get food poisoning from a very fresh batch of Damson Chutney? I made some a few years ago and it went really really well, so when someone asked me of I wanted a batch this year I said yes.

The Damson sat on the kitchen side for a few days as I was waiting for the Kilner jars to arrive and a few of the berries went off and there were a few fruit flies about. Before I started it I sorted through the damsons and chucked the ones that seemed off. There were a few with a few white spots on them that I washed and kept.
    I stewed the Damsons in a small amount of vinegar so I could take out all of the stones. The stewed damsons went in a glass bowl in the fridge until the jars arrived the next day.

I cooked them as per recipe, with ginger wine, vinegar and all the other ingredients. It took about 2.5 hours to stew down to a nice consistency and I put them in sterilised Kilner jars (these had been not only washed in hot water but heated up in the oven for an hour, so were suitably hot.

I tried some of it yesterday (less than 24 hours after it had been cooked) , no more than two or three teaspoons and it tasted OK. But going to bed last night I felt like I really wanted to be sick and psychologically felt I could taste the vinegar at the back of my throat, I could have easily got up and been sick.

Questions

Could this be food poisoning after the mixture has been through such an intensive cooking process with vinegar and wine.

Most recipes suggest it takes 3 months to mature, am I jumping the gun by expecting to it be nice instantly.

I'm now paranoid that I should have taken out the Damsons with white spots on. There wasn't a vast amount, maybe 10/15 in a batch of 3lb of damsons.

It might have been too vinegary and I'm feeling that. I don't want to chuck it all (but will if needed)

Any advice or thoughts would be really welcome.
Page 1
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 28th Aug 17, 8:13 PM
    • 4,675 Posts
    • 34,693 Thanks
    joedenise
    • 28th Aug 17, 8:13 PM
    • 28th Aug 17, 8:13 PM
    The vinegar taste is because it was freshly made. The chutney needs to mature and the vinegary taste should go.

Leave it for at least a month before using.

Denise
    • Farway
    • By Farway 29th Aug 17, 2:05 PM
    • 5,658 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    Farway
    • 29th Aug 17, 2:05 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 2:05 PM
    The white spots will only be wild yeast spores, which would be killed when you cooked it anyway

AS above, it really needs to mature. I am still using my 2014 batch of apple chutney
    • Mr Juggles
    • By Mr Juggles 6th Sep 17, 10:44 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mr Juggles
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:44 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:44 AM
    Thank you both for replying.

I was genuinely a little paranoid and was going to throw the lot. I think I felt I'll after eating the chutney and added 2+2 to get six. I need to thank my wife too now for persuading me not to throw the lot as well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,579Users online

Martin's Twitter