Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Difference of Opinion
    • By Difference of Opinion 25th Aug 17, 9:47 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Difference of Opinion
    93 WOW
    National Trust Loophole by joining Scotland using in England
    • 25th Aug 17, 9:47 AM
    93 WOW
    National Trust Loophole by joining Scotland using in England 25th Aug 17 at 9:47 AM
    Can you still join the Scottish National Trust and use it at English properties. Does this loophole still exist, as it is significantly cheaper to join the Scottish National Trust then the English National Trust. Annually joint membership is £63 compared to £108
Page 3
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 17th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    To Summerise from various posts it would appear to get an annual joint membership of the National Trust the following costs will apply.

English National Trust. £108 (includes Parking)
    Scottish National Trust £ 63 (includes Parking)
    New Zealand National Trust NZ$72 (approx £40) (Includes some parking)
    Malta National Trust 30 Euros (approx £29)( No Parking)

There are 10 other Organisations/countries with reciprocal arrangements but I do not know if they are open to Overseas residents or what is the cost of membership.

My opinion if you only going to make 3 or 4 visits then the Malta option is the best value
    If you going to make a significant amount of visit the the Scottish one would be the best deal
    New Zealand falls between the two..As it currently stands with the present rules all work out a lot cheaper than joining the English National Trust.
    Originally posted by 88Sarah
    No, not quite right. Heritage New Zealand offers NO free parking entitlements at National Trust or English Heritage sites. It says so in their blurb, everyone who has a card knows it to be the case. As I've said, I have the card, I have the terms and conditions, I've been subscribed to the NZ organisation for several years courtesy of one of their five year membership deals (no longer available to UK residents). The one year option still exists. Whether the New Zealand card (and it's absence of free parking) remains option of choice is debatable given that the Scottish option is so relatively favourable (for over 60's especially) if you value the parking benefit.
    • Syman
    • By Syman 18th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    Syman
    Why do you say the English NT has no age restraints? Or am I misunderstanding you? If so I apologise.

See here ..... To say a big thank you to our loyal members and to make sure everybody can continue to enjoy the places they love, we offer a 25 per cent senior discount. If youíre 60 or over and youíve held an individual or joint membership for at least five of the last ten years, youíll be eligible for the reduced fee.
    For 2017 youíll pay £48.60 for an individual senior membership and if you hold a joint senior membership itís £80.40.
    Originally posted by Stan.In.Devon
    the discount from NT scotland is applied if you are ove 60. so as a couple under 60 we do cannot get the discount by using NT Scotland.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2017 reading Challenge total :- 51/30
    • AnneMarie4687
    • By AnneMarie4687 21st Sep 17, 10:31 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    AnneMarie4687
    National Trust Loophole
    It really depends how often you are going to visit a National Trust property. If you are only going say 5 times a year then it is worth taking the New Zealand or Malta option and pay for the parking. It will still work out cheaper. If you are visiting more regularly then look at choosing the Scottish National Trust. Whichever alternative you chose if you are over 60 and take out a joint membership you will save a minimum of £45 a year.
    Last edited by AnneMarie4687; 21-09-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    • peewhyeff
    • By peewhyeff 24th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    peewhyeff
    It really depends how often you are going to visit a National Trust property. If you are only going say 5 times a year then it is worth taking the New Zealand or Malta option and pay for the parking. It will still work out cheaper. If you are visiting more regularly then look at choosing the Scottish National Trust. Whichever alternative you chose if you are over 60 and take out a joint membership you will save a minimum of £45 a year.
    Originally posted by AnneMarie4687
    I looked at Scotland NT and noted you have to put a car registration in for a temporary parking pass which is valid for 3 mths. I am concerned that with a joint membership we may want to travel in another vehicle, or if away from home area possibly a hire car. Does the follow up parking pass have a reg number on it? And if not, does it really take 3 months for it to be processed?
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 5th Oct 17, 10:12 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 7,191 Thanks
    culpepper
    I looked at Scotland NT and noted you have to put a car registration in for a temporary parking pass which is valid for 3 mths. I am concerned that with a joint membership we may want to travel in another vehicle, or if away from home area possibly a hire car. Does the follow up parking pass have a reg number on it? And if not, does it really take 3 months for it to be processed?
    Originally posted by peewhyeff
    Ours came very quickly. First we had a paper temporary pass which was to put in the car window and that does have your registration on it , along with a little card for my pocket IIRC then it was only a few days later that the actual membership pack arrived and that has a car window sticker (non car specific and easy to take off /put on) and the plastic card and handbook.
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 7th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Ours came very quickly. First we had a paper temporary pass which was to put in the car window and that does have your registration on it , along with a little card for my pocket IIRC then it was only a few days later that the actual membership pack arrived and that has a car window sticker (non car specific and easy to take off /put on) and the plastic card and handbook.
    Originally posted by culpepper

That's helpful to know. Thanks.
    • LisaJane1979
    • By LisaJane1979 10th Oct 17, 9:53 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    LisaJane1979
    Yes my friends do this!
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 11th Oct 17, 5:19 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Yes my friends do this!
    Originally posted by LisaJane1979
    What is it that your friends do?
    • Up For the Challenge
    • By Up For the Challenge 31st Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Up For the Challenge
    We joined the New Zealand National trust a few years ago. It is ceratinly a cheaper option and suits our purpose as a couple
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 14th Nov 17, 10:13 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Re. Scottish National Trust car parking ....
    Given that this particular topic is about the Scottish NT then I can confirm (having visited Killerton, Devon today) that the new (ish) payment machines at English NT car parks specifically say that given you can't scan the Scottish card and get a ticket to display, then all you need to do is display the windscreen sticker that accompanies Scottish National Trust membership.

Quite a few cars there today just showed a current English NT sticker and didn't display a ticket from the machine ... whether that's because they couldn't, for some reason, get a ticket from the machine I can't say, but there was no evidence of anyone having had warning notes or even parking charge notices handed out. Whether that's because an attendant wasn't on duty or because they're not enforcing anything anyway I don't know Maybe next year we shall see it that remains the case.
    • WayneTripp
    • By WayneTripp 2nd Dec 17, 12:00 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WayneTripp
    We have been members of the English National trust for 2 years now but find it expensive.We will not be rejoining when our subscription expires at the end of January. We will be looking to join either the Scottish National Trust or the New Zealand Heritage instead and they represent better value for money. As we see it the Scottish National Trust has the advantage of free parking. Whilst the New Zealand Heritage, we understand includes entry to English Heritage properties. Both these schemes are open to non residents.
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 2nd Dec 17, 1:40 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    ^^ Yes, that's pretty much spot on. As you will see, we do have the NZ card, and have used it to good effect and it's saved us a goodly sum (the very purpose of this site). It expires in 2019 and would serve its purpose up to then but am currently thinking we'll get a Scottish card - either before the NZ one expires, or, certainly, when it does run out. There's no problem getting into NT and English Heritage sites with the NZ card .... we've never had any disagreeable responses .... but it's just the matter of car parking. From next year I gather/suspect that the NT may enforce the chargeable ticketing system with renewed enthusiasm - after all they want as much money as they can get so are unlikely to let an opportunity pass them by. Hence the likelihood of the Scottish option (which undoubtedly allows you to park free in NT sites ... at the moment, anyway)

Do your sums to see which will be more cost effective for you.

Having said all that, something tells me the Scottish NT price will creep up towards the English NT. Currently a family of two adults plus a number of children (the actual number of children varies between English and Scottish NT) has to pay £112 with the English and £90 with the Scottish. I suspect that in the past the difference was greater. Others with more patience or better memories might contribute to say if the prices were, in fact, more substantially different in the past.
    Last edited by Stan.In.Devon; 02-12-2017 at 1:42 PM.
    • The Groat Counter
    • By The Groat Counter 5th Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    The Groat Counter
    From post #10...
    National Trust for Scotland membership definitely includes free car parking in England and Wales.
    Originally posted by Debran
    From post #50...
    Given that this particular topic is about the Scottish NT then I can confirm (having visited Killerton, Devon today) that the new (ish) payment machines at English NT car parks specifically say that given you can't scan the Scottish card and get a ticket to display, then all you need to do is display the windscreen sticker that accompanies Scottish National Trust membership.
    [...]
    Originally posted by Stan.In.Devon
    Recently I had a look at the signage on the ticket machine and nearby in NT's Corfe Castle car park in Dorset, and there was no mention whatsoever of what you should do if you were a National Trust for Scotland (NTS) member.

The only text I can find on the NTS website is on this FAQ page where it says this...

Does my NTS membership give me access to NT sites?

Yes. We have an agreement with other similar organisations around the world that means your NTS Membership gives you free entry to their places too - see the full list here. Where free parking is offered to National Trust members it also applies to NTS members.
    (My bolding.)

The situation regarding free parking at NT car parks for NTS members seems a bit hazy, given that it seems likely the National Trust is going to start enforcing the requirement to have a car parking ticket (at car parks without a staffed entry barrier at least) in 2018, now that all NT members should be in possession of a scannable membership card.
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 5th Dec 17, 10:48 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    The FAQs on the NTS site answer your question. It's written down in black and white. It's the third topic down. It says you CAN park ....etc etc etc

What more do you need ??

https://www.nts.org.uk/Site/FAQ/
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 6th Dec 17, 12:58 AM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    giraffe69
    I found the discussion about the "morals" of taking an alternative membership interesting. I don't visit NT properties enough to make any membership a sensible thing to do although when I last went to a property I thought they did everything to take as much money as they could and when paying for me and some guests it added up to a sizeable amount. I never worked out why I should give them x but x plus a bit if I wanted to use gift aid!
    In any event NT England charges more because they pray on the ignorance of the membership and those smart enough to know make alternative arrangements. NT England also make the rules about parking as opaque as possible so they can dissuade as many as possible from taking the cheaper route.
    If I did join it would be via NT Antarctica if that was a paying proposition and before there are any lectures consider the way NT England operate.
    • james007ago
    • By james007ago 13th Dec 17, 10:13 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    james007ago
    I have a joint NZ Heritage membership. I quite like visiting NT properties but they are expensive. I have renewed mine last week and based on exchanged rates, I paid £48 including postage to the UK. It is very good value. I like also the fact that it allows us to visit any English Heritage properties (e.g. love the one in Saffron Walden as its close to a miniature railway, fab day out). It doesn't include free parking but I don't think NT and EH patrol their car parks anyway.
    It is about moneysaving to me.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 13th Dec 17, 10:28 AM
    • 5,939 Posts
    • 2,469 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Thats good to know, you can park illeagley as they dont enforce! Good stuff (ps I know "illeagally" is not correct, but you know what I mean.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

373Posts Today

1,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin