Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Difference of Opinion
    • By Difference of Opinion 25th Aug 17, 9:47 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Difference of Opinion
    67 WOW
    National Trust Loophole by joining Scotland using in England
    • 25th Aug 17, 9:47 AM
    67 WOW
    National Trust Loophole by joining Scotland using in England 25th Aug 17 at 9:47 AM
    Can you still join the Scottish National Trust and use it at English properties. Does this loophole still exist, as it is significantly cheaper to join the Scottish National Trust then the English National Trust. Annually joint membership is £63 compared to £108
Page 1
    • AElene
    • By AElene 25th Aug 17, 10:26 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    AElene
    • 25th Aug 17, 10:26 AM
    • 25th Aug 17, 10:26 AM
    I'd never thought of doing that I can't post links but it says on the national trust scotland website that you can explore the world with SNT membership.

A National Trust for Scotland membership isn’t just the key to Scotland’s treasures. It also opens up a whole world of heritage for members to explore. We have agreements with similar organisations around the globe which mean that NTS members can visit for free.We’ve listed their websites here, so you can start planning your trip.
    the page is at
    nts dot org dot uk/Site/Membership/Reciprocal-entry-sites/
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 25th Aug 17, 12:02 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 6,095 Thanks
    MandM90
    • 25th Aug 17, 12:02 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 12:02 PM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Difference of Opinion
    • By Difference of Opinion 25th Aug 17, 2:06 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Difference of Opinion
    • 25th Aug 17, 2:06 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 2:06 PM
    Where has the thread been moved to please as I am interested to learn whether anyone else has joined the Scottish National Trust and has used their membership to visit English properties.Thank you
    • chrissy59
    • By chrissy59 25th Aug 17, 2:36 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    chrissy59
    • 25th Aug 17, 2:36 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 2:36 PM
    yes you can we have just joined the scottish national trust and can use it in england and its a lot cheaper
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 25th Aug 17, 2:37 PM
    • 8,128 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Buzby
    • 25th Aug 17, 2:37 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 2:37 PM
    It is the National Trust for Scotland. The 1st year is exclusive (cannot use it for English properties). On the first renewal, you can. It isn't a 'loophole' as reciprocal access has always been promoted.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 25th Aug 17, 4:43 PM
    • 5,927 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 25th Aug 17, 4:43 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 4:43 PM
    U sure about that 1st yr bit?
    • Debran
    • By Debran 25th Aug 17, 5:56 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    Debran
    • 25th Aug 17, 5:56 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 5:56 PM
    According to this web page nothing has changed. You can visit properties in England, Wales and Northern Ireland if you become a member. There is no mention of waiting for a year.

http://www.nts.org.uk/Site/Membership/Reciprocal-entry-sites/
    Last edited by Debran; 25-08-2017 at 6:04 PM.
    • JohnWhite
    • By JohnWhite 26th Aug 17, 7:08 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    JohnWhite
    • 26th Aug 17, 7:08 PM
    • 26th Aug 17, 7:08 PM
    I am told that the New Zealand Heritage has a reciprocal arrangement with the English National Trust. You can join as an overseas visitor for 69 New Zealand dollars under £50 for a joint membership which is a tremendous saving. However I believe like the arrangement with the Scottish National Trust, I do not think either includes car parking, so you would have to pay for parking every time you visit a National Trust property in England
    Last edited by JohnWhite; 26-08-2017 at 7:52 PM.
    • Debran
    • By Debran 28th Aug 17, 9:22 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    Debran
    National Trust for Scotland membership definitely includes free car parking in England and Wales.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 29th Aug 17, 8:41 AM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 5,079 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Originally posted by MandM90
    This thread/post has been moved from another board.

Where has the thread been moved to please
    Originally posted by Difference of Opinion
    Its been moved here with a poorly worded explanation from the moderators.

To somewhere else implies it has gone elsewhere.
    From somewhere else explains it started somewhere else and is now here.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 29-08-2017 at 8:50 AM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • keithdc
    • By keithdc 29th Aug 17, 11:52 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    keithdc
    National Trust for Scotland membership definitely includes free car parking in England and Wales.
    Originally posted by Debran
    Does it? Have you got a link?

My understanding is that E&W National Trust are now rolling out a system where you will need to scan your card to get the free car park ticket (i.e. no longer sticker based).
    If Scottish NT do get free car parking, then presumably their cards will need to have the right scan code.
    • Wayne's Woes
    • By Wayne's Woes 29th Aug 17, 1:01 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Wayne's Woes
    The New Zealand Heritage option appears to be a really good one and it seems is available at a much lower cost .Examples of the cost are ;Family membership (two adults at same address, and includes school-age children if you have any) NZ $69. Individual membership is NZ$64. Joint Senior Citizen (retired person 60 years or over, plus one other person at same address) NZ$50. Looking at their website membership it is open to non residents with no restrictions. It does appear it can used under the reciprocal agreement at National Trust properties in England and Wales. Have I misread it and it seems to be too good to be true and a real good deal..(http://www.heritage.org.nz/get-involved/join-us)
    Last edited by Wayne's Woes; 29-08-2017 at 1:21 PM.
    • suzy g
    • By suzy g 31st Aug 17, 7:34 AM
    • 718 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    suzy g
    Has anyone use this loop hole yet ? I have always thought the English NT was a bit steep for me.
    Vegan and veg grower Nov 2015
    instagramer of food.... sue_the_plantbased
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 31st Aug 17, 8:03 AM
    • 5,927 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    roddydogs
    The old threads are the best, every few months this crops up!
    • TwoSeniorCitizens
    • By TwoSeniorCitizens 1st Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    TwoSeniorCitizens
    Certainly for pensioners the New Zealand Heritage joint membership looks to be a significant savings and it is something we will look into but cannot find anywhere if it includes parking.The other alternative being Scottish National Trust membership which falls between the two prices and does appear to include parking.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 1st Sep 17, 9:53 AM
    • 5,927 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    roddydogs
    NZ site specifically says "does not include parking" But people have posted on new that it does!
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 9th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    How does one get a moderator or staff member to gather all the threads about National Trust (England), National Trust (Scotland) and the equivalent New Zealand organization all into one place?

As has been said the same questions get asked regularly and the answers are all available in the two, (to my certain knowledge but there could be loads more) other comprehensive threads.
    • MalcolmsWit
    • By MalcolmsWit 10th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MalcolmsWit
    There is a reciprocal arrangements with 14 other National trusts countries throughout the world. Already mentioned Scotland and New Zealand both of which are open for Overseas residents to join.Others organisations include Australia, Canada, Malta, Italy, Zimbabwe, Bermuda and Barbados.. I am not sure which ones you can join as Overseas residents but all seem to be a lot cheaper than the English National Trust. If you are looking to save money then there are several options open.
    Last edited by MalcolmsWit; 10-09-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    • lislou
    • By lislou 10th Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 5,764 Thanks
    lislou
    I have a New Zealand card. So has my daughter. We have never been asked for a parking fee at the properties we have visited. It may be that you have to pay a fee at Nat. Trust car parks i.e. those car parks without properties attached e.g. at the coast??? I'm just guessing as never tried.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,205Posts Today

6,369Users online

Martin's Twitter