Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 25th Aug 17, 9:08 AM
    • 912Posts
    • 2,390Thanks
    lcc86
    Oops, back again...
    • 25th Aug 17, 9:08 AM
    Oops, back again... 25th Aug 17 at 9:08 AM
    So, after thinking hard about whether to start another diary I've decided I need to do so in order to make sure I pay off my shiny new debts again once and for all!!!

To give some background, I was in debt for most of my adult life from 21 to 30 years old as I was just extremely irresponsible with money I kept it secret from my family and managed to pay it off earlier this year when I sold my flat.

I kept an 'emergency' credit card which was to be used for work expenses and any aforementioned emergencies. However I wasn't strict enough with myself and used it to book a mini break, and a couple of other things. I'd budget to repay it the following month, but surprise surprise actual emergencies occurred e.g my windscreen smashed and needed replacing, my car needed some new parts, and more recently I've had vet fees to pay. All of which has meant I now have £635 on there, with the final vet bill still to be sent to me, so realistically it'll be about £800. My phone also died a few weeks ago and so I used my Very account to get a new one at £200. On top of that I've also just signed up to a chiropractor treatment plan to fix some longstanding issues with my spine.

So basically I wanted to start a diary to help on the journey to clear all the debt again once and for all! My biggest error when I became debt free was not focusing on an emergency fund (I booked a holiday instead ). I've been part of the 365 day challenge this year so have decided that that money will be my emergency fund and I'll hopefully add to it next year as well. No holidays next year outside the UK as I'm returning to uni via distance learning in a few weeks so I'm hoping I'll be so busy with that that time will fly and I won't even notice!

So time to bite the bullet and write down the totals:

Very account £177 (mobile phone) 0% interest
    Credit card £625, 0% interest, broken down into:
    - £129 camper an holiday
    - £25 windscreen
    - £25 chiropractor
    - £240 vet fees (with more to follow)
    - £136 car parts
    - £60 car insurance (renewed a few weeks ago and didn't quite have enough)
    - £10 work expenses (not too concerned about this as will be reimbursed)

Grand total of £802

I've seen over the last few weeks that it's incredibly easy to rack up debt when you don't have an emergency fund. Each time I've thought oh I'll budget to repay X over the next month or two months, but then something else comes along and throws a spanner in the works. So no more! Time to clear it once and for all! I'm annoyed with myself that after everything I went through to clear the debt last time, it's easily crept back up again within 6 months. I have the means to not be in debt, I just need to be smarter. And remember that emergency really does mean emergency!

I'll start contributing properly when I get paid next week. I've set the budget and the plan is to put £250 towards credit card, £30 to Very, and I also need to save £250 for various bits and bobs. I hope to be debt free again by January or February at the latest.

So if anyone wants to join me and listen to my ramblings again, feel free!
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original DFD

25/08/17 new total £802 back in debt but determined clear it by February 2018! 28/11/17 - £132 £667/£1,000 emergency fund £640 saved for household jobs
Page 4
    • elsien
    • By elsien 5th Dec 17, 11:26 PM
    • 15,444 Posts
    • 38,787 Thanks
    elsien
    Very impressed with the savings. And with the Christmas shopping - not even started mine yet. Hope you enjoy your do.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 9th Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 2,390 Thanks
    lcc86
    Time for my normal weekend check in...

My biggest surprise was that I didn't spend a single penny at my work Xmas do I did drive in the end, I'm glad I didn't get the train as a. it was freezing and b. the trains were all up the creek because of a signalling failure so I would've had real difficulty getting home! A wise decision all round in the end. The meal itself was good, company and games were great fun, it was all pre-paid and I got a free glass of prosecco, which was my only drink for the evening given I was driving, and then I just had the water that was on the table for the rest of the night.

Today I've just been catching up on housework - it was in a bit of a state, especially with having bunnies now, I keep finding bits of hay everywhere I've also done a little bit of cooking in the slow cooker (am making great use of that at the moment) and some studying.

Tomorrow is horse riding day, then off to visit my parents for a couple of days. It's my mum's birthday next week so am going to take her out while I'm there for afternoon tea or something. I also booked to go horse riding there too as my parents had a dentist appointment and mum was panicking that I'd have nothing to do for the hour or two that they would be gone for, so I booked that only for her to cancel the dentist and not tell me! I'll still go and ride though, there's fab riding where they live so it'll be a nice treat. Plus I submitted my second essay today for my Masters, and I've promised myself a treat every time I complete an essay, so it falls at a convenient time really.

Totals for this month are:
    5/16 healthy days (the last couple of days have been particularly bad I must confess)
    5/15 NSD's
    £15.40/£20 spent on household and toiletries (I think I'll go over this as I've realised I'm running low on a few essential bits but not the end of the world)

Time for a workout as I've been far too lazy the last few days, then I must clean the oven and get back to studying. No rest for the wicked!

25/08/17 new total £802 back in debt but determined clear it by February 2018! 28/11/17 - £132 £667/£1,000 emergency fund £640 saved for household jobs
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 12th Dec 17, 10:07 AM
    • 912 Posts
    • 2,390 Thanks
    lcc86
    Having a lazy couple of days at my parents' house, although I must say it's absolutely freezing even with the heating on! Think I'm a bit of a wuss but I always find their house cold.

Afternoon tea yesterday came in under budget which was handy, but I somewhat blew that out of the water by winning a coat on ebay as well yesterday. Been after one for ages and always get outbid so wasn't expecting to win tbh. £26 including postage, just have to wait for it to arrive now. Certainly not going to beat myself up over buying a good quality coat, they're over £100 brand new and I didn't want to spend that much!

Been looking back at the goals I set for myself for this year, surprisingly I've more or less achieved them all:

1. Be debt free by Feb - well I managed this but obviously ended up back here. Will be debt free again later this month.
    2. Get my horse riding to an acceptable standard
    3. Book a dream holiday - my initial thoughts were Australia or South Africa but I spent too much money elsewhere so revised my dreams and found a voucher for a camper van holiday in an old retro VW. It's not quite Oz or SA but it's something I've always wanted to do.
    4. Fix my tattoos
    5. Decorate the house
    6. Make 2017 the year of "doing" stuff

In hindsight I think I wanted to enjoy being debt free for the first time in 10 years a bit too much and spent more than I perhaps should've done, which might be why I'm back in debt. But on the other hand, I've had some fab experiences and am on the road to having savings again. With that in mind, I've been thinking ahead to 2018's goals:

1. Get the last of the housey jobs done - I have a list of awkward things which need doing, none of which should be prohibitively expensive.
    2. Lose the last bit of weight I need to lose - this is more about toning up I suppose and getting rid of my paunch!
    3. Get the emergency fund to £1,000 and keep it there - I might need to dip into it but I need to make topping it up a priority if that happens.
    4. Change get my spending mentality and stop spending at the start of the month - I'm getting better at this but always spend more at the start of the month so need to be a bit smarter about how I spend.
    5. Take up something new - maybe a sport, hobby or learning a language.
    6. Make 2018 the year of saving - I guess this just encompasses everything I've said above!

Hopefully there's nothing unrealistic on that list, things might change but I think my attitude towards finances is getting healthier and I'm more sensible now (I hope!).

Right, off to have some breakfast then walk the dogs, then off for my horse ride before heading home this evening.

• lcc86
    • By lcc86 16th Dec 17, 9:20 AM
    • 912 Posts
    • 2,390 Thanks
    lcc86
    Horse riding was cancelled in the end on Tuesday, it was too icy so not safe to go out. Bit disappointed but safety first, don't want any injuries to myself or any ponies! On the plus side I saved money. Mum, dad and I went for lunch instead, just a pasty and tea, nothing fancy but it was lovely.

Yesterday I had the day off work and went to Olympia horse show. Have never been before and had the best time, really enjoyed it. I only spent £9 as well, £5 on a headband to keep my ears warm while riding, something I've been after for months, and £4 on drinks.

Feeling a bit fluey today going to take it easy. Have a bit of studying to do, some jobs around the home and then off to a friend's house this evening for a party (although I'll be driving and it's more of a foody thing).

Today would've been a NSD but our coat rack fell off the wall and broke yesterday. It's on my list of things to do next year but I guess it didn't feel like hanging on, so will go and buy one today from a local shop that makes them, nothing fancy.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 16th Dec 17, 9:28 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 4,649 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    All sounds good lcc , you will be debt free again before you know it. I love your camper van trip idea . My place to visit next is South Africa , then I will have been to all five continents. However 2018 is all about holidaying in the uk .

Have a good Christmas.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,474Posts Today

6,157Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin