Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 25th Aug 17, 7:57 AM
    • 58Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    Extension Process?
    • 25th Aug 17, 7:57 AM
    Extension Process? 25th Aug 17 at 7:57 AM
    So we ideally want to extend our home - 2 storey extension creating 2 rooms downstairs and 2 rooms upstairs, no kitchens or bathrooms so just basic electrics needed. My query is the process - Which do we do first?
    -Planning permission
    -Architect / designer to draw up plans
    -Builder for a quote on the project

My reasoning being that without the builders quote how will I know whether it will go ahead and without plans how can I get planning permission? Also can the builder not draw up the diagrams etc
    Is there not companies out there that will do it all?

Also in order to fund it -
    -If it was an additional borrowing on the mortgage would they look at the value now or the value after the extension?

Mortgage 29 Years in total - £148k house value, 124k left on mortgage.
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 25th Aug 17, 8:19 AM
    • 23,743 Posts
    • 66,088 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 25th Aug 17, 8:19 AM
    • 25th Aug 17, 8:19 AM
    The mortgage company will value on what the house is worth now. If that is where your funds are coming from then I think you're scuppered. A two storey extension is going to cost far more than you have in equity.

In fact, with such a reasonably priced house, I don't think you'd ever see your money back on a two storey extension. Are you prepared for that?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 25th Aug 17, 8:50 AM
    • 3,064 Posts
    • 3,750 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    • 25th Aug 17, 8:50 AM
    • 25th Aug 17, 8:50 AM
    The mortgage company will value on what the house is worth now. If that is where your funds are coming from then I think you're scuppered. A two storey extension is going to cost far more than you have in equity.

In fact, with such a reasonably priced house, I don't think you'd ever see your money back on a two storey extension. Are you prepared for that?
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Agreed.

It'll more than likely be cheaper to move to a house that already meets your requirements, than to spend it on this house.

is there something unique about this house that means you cant move?
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 25th Aug 17, 2:13 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    • 25th Aug 17, 2:13 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 2:13 PM
    It isnt about the return on investment - I intend to live in the house for another 30 years so whether it adds value or not is irrelevant to me.

What I would like to know is the correct process if that is possible?

Most people by the time they have paid interest on their mortgage sell with making a loss anyway dont they??
    • Gemsterg
    • By Gemsterg 25th Aug 17, 6:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gemsterg
    • 25th Aug 17, 6:15 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 6:15 PM
    Not saying this is the correct way, but we done builder, architect and then planning permission. In my area, the plans need to come from an architect anyway so couldn't do it any other way. We are in a similar situation to yourself where the investment won't be returned, however we don't plan to move either but just want a bigger, nicer house that suits our needs.
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 29th Aug 17, 10:04 AM
    • 3,064 Posts
    • 3,750 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    • 29th Aug 17, 10:04 AM
    • 29th Aug 17, 10:04 AM
    It isnt about the return on investment - I intend to live in the house for another 30 years so whether it adds value or not is irrelevant to me.

What I would like to know is the correct process if that is possible?

Most people by the time they have paid interest on their mortgage sell with making a loss anyway dont they??
    Originally posted by Spendingqueen

okay,

Lets assume that the rooms are 3mX3m each, so that's 18sqm per floor for a total 36 sq m extension, price would be around £50k ish, depending on access materials, ground conditions ect, could be much higher, could be a bit lower.

the correct way to do it,

1)Plans drawn up, inc structural designs, you need these for planning and getting GOOD builders quotes

2)Planning permission, you need to make sure you can build what you want

3)Quotes, without 1 and 2 builders wont know what you actually want or need, so wont be able to give you good quotes.

There are companies that will do everything for you, but naturally you pay a premium for them, so add 20% to the cost.
    • Clive Woody
    • By Clive Woody 29th Aug 17, 11:19 AM
    • 4,379 Posts
    • 5,000 Thanks
    Clive Woody
    • 29th Aug 17, 11:19 AM
    • 29th Aug 17, 11:19 AM
    okay,

Lets assume that the rooms are 3mX3m each, so that's 18sqm per floor for a total 36 sq m extension, price would be around £50k ish, depending on access materials, ground conditions ect, could be much higher, could be a bit lower.

the correct way to do it,

1)Plans drawn up, inc structural designs, you need these for planning and getting GOOD builders quotes

2)Planning permission, you need to make sure you can build what you want

3)Quotes, without 1 and 2 builders wont know what you actually want or need, so wont be able to give you good quotes.

There are companies that will do everything for you, but naturally you pay a premium for them, so add 20% to the cost.
    Originally posted by martinsurrey
    Agree completely, you need good plans to get accurate quotes from builders.

Get the plans drawn up by an architect. Take these plans to a number of builders for quotes. Once you have the quotes you can figure out if you can afford to go ahead with the build. If it is affordable then you start getting approvals and the the build begins.
    Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
    • 70sthrowback
    • By 70sthrowback 29th Aug 17, 1:49 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    70sthrowback
    • 29th Aug 17, 1:49 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 1:49 PM
    Looking at your current LTV you are not going to get much additional borrowing on your mortgage. Depends on your lender but I believe most are 80 or 85% max LTV.

In terms of the other order, to get an accurate quote as others have said you need plans from the architect. Even with plans I struggled to get quotes from builders, they all seem to be very busy. Without them they weren't interested in coming round to look at the house to discuss.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    • jjherts
    • By jjherts 29th Aug 17, 2:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jjherts
    • 29th Aug 17, 2:09 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 2:09 PM
    Yep you need good plans drawn up....
    Submit to local authority for planning permission...
    Either use local authority building Regs or a cheaper independent one...
    Go to local builders merchants and ask what company or individual builder frequents the most, or buys most.... generally a good sign of a busy and well regarded builder... look at their previous work and clients!

We had a £200,000 mortgage on a £457,000 house and just managed to get £67,000 extra for our single storey, pitched roof extension (joint income £95,000).
    Extension complete rolled in at £89,000 had to use savings to finish off kitchen etc).

Good luck
    Last edited by jjherts; 29-08-2017 at 2:13 PM.
    • webcrest043
    • By webcrest043 30th Aug 17, 9:33 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    webcrest043
    Firstly you have to submit your planning permission to local authority.Importantly there's at least 2 builders wont to know what you exactly want or need, so if you don't give they wont be able to give you good quotes.
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 1st Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    My local authority expect around 6 detailed drawings and that is with the pre-approval questionnaire. I have contacted architects and the quotes range from £600-900 - Is this about right? It is a 2 storey extension with just 3 rooms none of these kitchen and bathroom. Also with regards to architects do they actually need to see the property to do the drawings.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 1st Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 23,743 Posts
    • 66,088 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    It's a formal pre-app process. You won't need to provide any more afterwards.

That is the lower end of the scale of architects drawings. £600 is actually too low, IMO.

It would be ridiculous if architects didn't see the property before producing drawings. The house needs measuring before anything can be produced.

I'm still standing by my original comment on budget. If you're expecting to do this within the equity on your house, you're in for a shock. As martinsurrey says, £50k is really a start point.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 1st Sep 17, 6:36 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    We drew up plans for our 2 storey rear extension, put in planning and build warrant which we got. I found it very hard getting quotes from builders as they either did not get back to you or prices were miles apart - all were recommended builders. Decided to appoint a builder but he can't do the work but have managed to get another builder for our works which are due to start 2 weeks. We got extra borrowing and this takes us up to 80% Ltv on the value of the house at the moment but when we remortgage we will appeal as house price should have sent up due to extra flood space. Time will tell with us how mu h this extension will cost. Quoted £54k + kitchen, bathroom and tiler costs.
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 7th Sep 17, 7:52 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    We drew up plans for our 2 storey rear extension, put in planning and build warrant which we got. I found it very hard getting quotes from builders as they either did not get back to you or prices were miles apart - all were recommended builders. Decided to appoint a builder but he can't do the work but have managed to get another builder for our works which are due to start 2 weeks. We got extra borrowing and this takes us up to 80% Ltv on the value of the house at the moment but when we remortgage we will appeal as house price should have sent up due to extra flood space. Time will tell with us how mu h this extension will cost. Quoted £54k + kitchen, bathroom and tiler costs.
    Originally posted by Schoolworker
    If you don't mind me asking how much space were you adding with your extension? And where in the country are you as surely this affects prices?
    We won't be having kitchen or bathroom so saving money there I believe - Ideally hoping max will be £60k for the extension.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,163Posts Today

6,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin