Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 24th Aug 17, 5:45 PM
    • 101Posts
    • 56Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I contribute to my grandfather's new garden?
    • 24th Aug 17, 5:45 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I contribute to my grandfather's new garden? 24th Aug 17 at 5:45 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My grandfather is celebrating his 80th birthday this year and the family have decided to pay for a complete garden makeover costing thousands to which we have all been asked to contribute. While this is a lovely idea and sure to bring him some pleasure he lives in a council-owned property and has refused multiple times over the years to purchase it. My question is, should I contribute to improve this property which arguably will benefit its next tenant far more than my grandfather who is already getting on a bit?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 29-08-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 4
    • JayD
    • By JayD 5th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    JayD
    If this is something your grandfather wants and will enjoy, then of course you should chip in and be pleased you have contributed to a special present that he really wanted.

It seems it is going to be his main present from everyone else anyway, so do you really want to be outside of, what is a lovely family gesture and hand over your own separate gift - just because you begrudge someone else the pleasure of it after your grandfather has passed away?

So unless, you truly believe that this is not an ideal gift for your grandfather, and you have a much better gift idea in mind, then of course you should chip in!

If you want to add something extra to your financial contribution, as a more personal gesture, you could offer to come round some times and help to keep his new garden in good shape for him. And that would be something only HE would benefit from.
    Last edited by JayD; 05-09-2017 at 4:30 PM. Reason: spelling error
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 7th Sep 17, 3:21 PM
    • 11,512 Posts
    • 11,165 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    It's a MMD.
    Nobody will be along to clarify any details or answer any questions.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    They were rhetorical questions.
    If anyone comes here with the same dilemma then answering my questions for themselves should give themselves the answer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,985Posts Today

8,272Users online

Martin's Twitter