Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 24th Aug 17, 4:58 PM
    • 3,207Posts
    • 1,694Thanks
    lstar337
    No generation since 3rd August!
    • 24th Aug 17, 4:58 PM
    No generation since 3rd August! 24th Aug 17 at 4:58 PM
    Just been entering my import/export readings for the last few weeks (I have been slacking off), and I haven't had anything for the last couple of weeks.

Week 27/7 - 39kWh
    Week 3/8 - 9kWh
    Week 10/8 - 0kWh
    Week 17/8 - 0kWh
    Week 24/8 - 0kWh

Generation meter light is solid on.

Anything I can do before I call the letting agent to have it inspected?

Our weekly import has spiked to over £10/ week when it is usually less than £4.
Page 1
    • gefnew
    • By gefnew 24th Aug 17, 5:18 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    gefnew
    • 24th Aug 17, 5:18 PM
    • 24th Aug 17, 5:18 PM
    HI
    When you had your panels installed, they should have given you a sheet of info on how to power the system down and up again.
    When powered down leave for a good half hour and the turn on in the right sequence.
    Then check the inverter for any fault codes.
    Can you access via Bluetooth software from inverter company.
    If you can then you maybe see error codes from that.
    regards
    gefnew
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 24th Aug 17, 5:22 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 24th Aug 17, 5:22 PM
    • 24th Aug 17, 5:22 PM
    HI
    When you had your panels installed, they should have given you a sheet of info on how to power the system down and up again.
    When powered down leave for a good half hour and the turn on in the right sequence.
    Then check the inverter for any fault codes.
    Can you access via Bluetooth software from inverter company.
    If you can then you maybe see error codes from that.
    regards
    gefnew
    Originally posted by gefnew
    We are renting and the system was installed before we moved in. I have no paperwork.

AFAIK, there is an isolator near the consumer unit, and another in the loft by the inverter. There may be one on the DC side too, I can't remember.

I have no idea what order to flip the switches.

EDIT: Our inverter is a Samil, a Solar River something or other.
    Last edited by lstar337; 24-08-2017 at 5:31 PM.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 24th Aug 17, 6:08 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 24th Aug 17, 6:08 PM
    • 24th Aug 17, 6:08 PM
    Just been in the loft and the inverter has a fault light on and the display says 'relay failure'.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 24th Aug 17, 7:38 PM
    • 5,775 Posts
    • 9,827 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    • 24th Aug 17, 7:38 PM
    • 24th Aug 17, 7:38 PM
    Just been in the loft and the inverter has a fault light on and the display says 'relay failure'.
    Originally posted by lstar337
    Hiya. You can try a reboot, or if being 'super careful' tell your landlord the system is down, and offer to do a reboot.

Procedures in this video, might get lucky, but don't hold your breath.

Samil Solar Inverter Relay Failure

Good luck.

PS - Gently tell your landlord that Samil have gone bust!
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 24th Aug 17, 7:50 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 24th Aug 17, 7:50 PM
    • 24th Aug 17, 7:50 PM
    Thanks Mart. I have told the letting agent that the unit has a fault. I might ask if they want me to try a reboot, there only other option is a inverter replacement I guess?

Can I tell them they won't be getting any Fit as an incentive to get it repaired, or would that be fibbing?
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 24th Aug 17, 8:03 PM
    • 5,775 Posts
    • 9,827 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    • 24th Aug 17, 8:03 PM
    • 24th Aug 17, 8:03 PM
    Thanks Mart. I have told the letting agent that the unit has a fault. I might ask if they want me to try a reboot, there only other option is a inverter replacement I guess?

Can I tell them they won't be getting any Fit as an incentive to get it repaired, or would that be fibbing?
    Hiya, if it ain't generating, then there's no FiT and no export payments as they are paid on generation, so I'd definitely mention it as Sept/Oct are decent months and will lose a fair bit of income.

Does your lease mention the PV and make great play about reduced leccy bills? If so you might be able to argue for some recompense, but is it worth rocking the boat?

You'll have to move now, to start playing the PV game again.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 24th Aug 17, 8:51 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 24th Aug 17, 8:51 PM
    • 24th Aug 17, 8:51 PM
    I won't bother going down the route of asking for compensation, I just want them to fix asap. They can be quite slow with things 'they' deem a low priority. Hopefully the loss of fit and export payments will be enough to get them moving faster than usual.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 25th Aug 17, 8:50 AM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 25th Aug 17, 8:50 AM
    • 25th Aug 17, 8:50 AM
    Well I offered to do the shutdown/reboot and they jumped at the chance. It's quite frustrating because they don't really know anything about the system.

Anyway, I did the reset and no such luck. The relay failure is still there.

The letting agent has informed EDF (Fit provider) the land lord (which I'm happy about because he gets things done, and fast), and their electrician.

Any chance you could give me a run down of what to do next (as if it were my system), so I can keep the letting agent on-track and make sure they are doing the right things?

Thanks for your help so far.
    • Oscargrouch
    • By Oscargrouch 25th Aug 17, 4:10 PM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 12,973 Thanks
    Oscargrouch
    PS - Gently tell your landlord that Samil have gone bust!
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Anyway, I did the reset and no such luck. The relay failure is still there.
    The letting agent has informed EDF (Fit provider) the land lord (which I'm happy about because he gets things done, and fast), and their electrician.
    Any chance you could give me a run down of what to do next (as if it were my system), so I can keep the letting agent on-track and make sure they are doing the right things?

Thanks for your help so far.
    Not wishing to butt in; Samil may have gone bust, is the installer still around? I so, then it is down to the installer to fix the problem even if they have to source an alternative make of Inverter....
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. Northants. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters".

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 25th Aug 17, 4:46 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    lstar337
    Not wishing to butt in; Samil may have gone bust, is the installer still around? I so, then it is down to the installer to fix the problem even if they have to source an alternative make of Inverter....
    Originally posted by Oscargrouch
    System was installed start of 2014. Is it likely to be covered by the installer?

Found a warranty card in the Samil manual, not filled out.
    • Oscargrouch
    • By Oscargrouch 25th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 12,973 Thanks
    Oscargrouch
    System was installed start of 2014. Is it likely to be covered by the installer?
    Found a warranty card in the Samil manual, not filled out.
    I would be inclined to find out who the installer was, then see if they are still in business. I think though all of this would need the person who paid for the system to do the negotiating. At the end of the day, the Inverter was bought from Samil by the installer, who then sold and fitted it for their customer; leaves them 'holding the baby' so to speak...HTH...
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. Northants. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters".

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 29th Aug 17, 2:20 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    lstar337
    I have been told the installation was done by the original electrician for the house, they did all the wiring from the meter right through to the solar panels.

They are (so far) ignoring all calls and messages from the letting agent.

Hopefully something will start to move soon. The letting agent seems to be working pretty hard but the electrician is known to be pretty rubbish once he deems a job complete.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 5th Sep 17, 11:43 AM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    lstar337
    I'm being told the original installers are being a pain (they are useless with everything tbh), is it possible to just buy an inverter and get another electrician (not the original installers) to fit it? would that satisfy everything regarding fit payments and whatever?

I'm thinking of suggesting to the letting agent that they go this route.
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 5th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    theboylard
    Yes to your questions - new inverter has no effect on FiT (apart from ensuring that the landlord earns them!)

As Samil have gone bust, and it's a relay fault so likely terminal, and as most things these days are not "serviceable", I would suggest you communicate to both Landlord and Agent in same email that they buy a new inverter, which should just be a straight swap out by a qualified sparky.

If they want to maintain the warranty on the new inverter though, then I'd suggest they source a new installer who installs the new inverter, it has no effect on the FiT for the landlord and means they aren't tied to someone who isnt interested.
    Last edited by theboylard; 05-09-2017 at 2:59 PM.
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 6th Sep 17, 10:46 AM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    lstar337
    As Samil have gone bust, and it's a relay fault so likely terminal, and as most things these days are not "serviceable", I would suggest you communicate to both Landlord and Agent in same email that they buy a new inverter, which should just be a straight swap out by a qualified sparky.
    Originally posted by theboylard
    Thanks.

What about setup? A regular sparky may not be able to do this I'm guessing, is that why you think another installer would be the best option?

No doubt the letting agent will go for a 'cheap option' inverter if possible, but I think I would like an SMA (Sunny Boy) or something. Do you think it would be sensible to put forward this as a suggestion, or is there something better suited?
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 6th Sep 17, 4:56 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    theboylard
    Any sparky that is Part P qualified is more than capable of undoing the approx 4 connections, taking the inverter off the wall, put the new mounting plate up (unlikely to be able to use the original fixings for a different brand inverter), hang new inverter, recconect cables, power up and run through setup screen, they are very user friendly these days so even a sparky can understand!!

Honestly, the sparky is only required to ensure the electrical connections meet current regs - you'll need some help physically as the inverters are around the 25-30kg mark but you can change it yourself as long as a sparky signs the work off!!!

Cheapest option is buy a used inverter that is still under warranty and take out an extended warranty with the manufacturer - it just so happens my Schuco branded SMA SunnyBoy 3300 is available
    Honestly, it's in the garage sitting on the floor after I retrofitted SolarEdge. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just weighs a ton so thats why it's never moved!!!
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 8th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    lstar337
    Any sparky that is Part P qualified is more than capable of undoing the approx 4 connections, taking the inverter off the wall, put the new mounting plate up (unlikely to be able to use the original fixings for a different brand inverter), hang new inverter, recconect cables, power up and run through setup screen, they are very user friendly these days so even a sparky can understand!!
    I was thinking more of the configuration. Don't they have software to configure to make sure the system performs correctly?

Honestly, the sparky is only required to ensure the electrical connections meet current regs - you'll need some help physically as the inverters are around the 25-30kg mark but you can change it yourself as long as a sparky signs the work off!!!
    SMA say the Sunny Boy is only 9kg!

Cheapest option is buy a used inverter that is still under warranty and take out an extended warranty with the manufacturer - it just so happens my Schuco branded SMA SunnyBoy 3300 is available
    Honestly, it's in the garage sitting on the floor after I retrofitted SolarEdge. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just weighs a ton so thats why it's never moved!!!
    If it was up to me I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 8th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    theboylard
    I was thinking more of the configuration. Don't they have software to configure to make sure the system performs correctly?
    You don't have to be an installer - anyone can install a solar system, as long as it meets the relevent elctrical standards and complies with local DNO operating conditions. You will need someone to sign off on the electrical standards bit, hence the sparky requirement.

The setup for my SolarEdge replacement, took less than 4 minutes after power on, so I'd say nothing overly complex!!

SMA say the Sunny Boy is only 9kg!
    That might be the cardboard box it comes in!!
    If you search for the data sheet for the SMA Sunny Boy 3300, on page 68/76, 11.2 Techinical data it lists it as 38kg!!

If it was up to me I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    It's here if they want it!!
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 11th Sep 17, 9:28 AM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    lstar337
    That might be the cardboard box it comes in!!
    If you search for the data sheet for the SMA Sunny Boy 3300, on page 68/76, 11.2 Techinical data it lists it as 38kg!!
    The innovative design of the Sunny Boy 1.5/2.5 is not only easy to install, but also allows for quick DC and AC connections. For example, because it weighs just 9 kg, it can be suspended from just two screws, with no additional wall mounting bracket.
    https://www.sma.de/en/products/solarinverters/sunny-boy-15-25.html

It's here if they want it!!
    I'll keep that in mind. If it get's me up and running again and helps you out at the same time, then it's gravy as far as I am concerned.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

718Posts Today

6,414Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin