Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wassa123
    • By Wassa123 24th Aug 17, 10:27 AM
    • 259Posts
    • 106Thanks
    Wassa123
    GB / Coop Energy & Avro both claiming they supply my gas
    • 24th Aug 17, 10:27 AM
    GB / Coop Energy & Avro both claiming they supply my gas 24th Aug 17 at 10:27 AM
    So last year when GB energy went bust I changed my Gas & Elec to Avro energy in November 2016.

I had numerous problems for a few months as both Avro and GB claimed they were both supplying my Gas and so I was receiving two sets of bills a month.

The two companies had a dispute with each other and it managed to get sorted out.

However today, I have suddenly received 5 bills from GB Energy in my emails for each month since May with increasing charges from ~£170 - ~£360. After phoning Avro they said both that Gas & Elec was still with them. After phoning GB Energy, they said the national database says that the Gas had switched back to them in May 2017. I know nothing of this and certainly didn't authorise it.

I'm trying to get them to sort it out again but it's quite frustrating.

Has anyone had any experiences like this? Can the Ombudsman help in this situation if they don't sort it out or if I have been forced a change in supplier without my knowledge? (probably to a higher tariff too!)
    Last edited by Wassa123; 03-10-2017 at 6:27 PM.
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 24th Aug 17, 10:56 AM
    • 4,379 Posts
    • 2,575 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 24th Aug 17, 10:56 AM
    • 24th Aug 17, 10:56 AM
    Check the database to see which supplier the industry thinks is supplying you:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/connections-and-moving-home/who-my-gas-or-electricity-supplier

If it turns out that gas has been transferred without your permission, then call Avro and ask them to action The Charter for Erroneous Transfer of Supply. You should be put back into the position that you were in before the erroneous transfer took place. The two suppliers will sort out any cross payments.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/problems-with-your-energy-supply/youve-been-switched-to-a-new-energy-supplier-without-your-agreement/
    • Wassa123
    • By Wassa123 3rd Oct 17, 6:29 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Wassa123
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:29 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:29 PM
    So GB / Coop energy have admitted there was an erronous transfer both on the phone to me and via email. Avro energy have also confirmed this is the case.

However, several weeks later we are still getting threatening letters from GB / Coop Energy saying that they will acquire warrants and switch me to a prepayment meter and threatening me with debt collectors!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 3rd Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 4,379 Posts
    • 2,575 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    So GB / Coop energy have admitted there was an erronous transfer both on the phone to me and via email. Avro energy have also confirmed this is the case.

However, several weeks later we are still getting threatening letters from GB / Coop Energy saying that they will acquire warrants and switch me to a prepayment meter and threatening me with debt collectors!
    Originally posted by Wassa123
    Which supplier is taking forward the actions required under the The Erroneous Transfer Charter?

What the supplier must do

They must cancel the transfer or arrange for the supply to be transferred back to your original supplier.

The supplier you complain to must also:

within 5 working days, write and tell you what action they’re going to take
    within 20 working days, write to confirm your supply will be returned to your old supplier
    This is called the ‘erroneous transfer customer charter’ and all suppliers must follow it. If they don’t, you should make a complaint.

You won’t have to pay any bills to the new supplier. You’ll continue to get bills from your original supplier as normal.

Source: Citizens Advice
    • Wassa123
    • By Wassa123 3rd Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Wassa123
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    GB / Coop Energy have said:
    Having completed a review of your account with GB Energy Supply, we can confirm that an Erroneous transfer process had been re-commenced to make your gas supply is returned to your intended, new supplier. Please be kind and give us some time to follow through with the necessary procedures.
    Avro have said:
    The switching team have got back to me and have advised that they have initiated ET for the transfer back to avro.
    These were both a couple of weeks ago, yet I'm annoyed that GB / Coop are still sending increasingly aggressive threatening letters.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,105Posts Today

6,864Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin