Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsSippi
    • By MrsSippi 24th Aug 17, 10:05 AM
    • 197Posts
    • 337Thanks
    MrsSippi
    What makes a good cleaner?
    • 24th Aug 17, 10:05 AM
    What makes a good cleaner? 24th Aug 17 at 10:05 AM
    Following on from the other thread about cleaners I was wondering ....

I am due to start a job cleaning next week and I've never done it before (i mean as a paid job not that I've never cleaned ) A good cleaner is clearly held in very high regard so I was wondering, in your mind, what makes a good cleaner? Obviously it needs to be someone reliable, trustworthy etc but what is it that makes you say "my cleaner is fantastic" or " my cleaner is worth her weight in gold" etc. It's clear from the other thread that plenty of people love their cleaners but what is it that makes you feel that way?
Page 3
    • mattpaint
    • By mattpaint 9th Sep 17, 5:22 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    mattpaint
    Your rate is more than the minimum wage & many many people work for that & pay a third of it for tax, NI & pension.
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    No they don't.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 9th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    Kim kim
    No they don't.
    Originally posted by mattpaint
    A lot of people do work for the minimum wage.
    Very many.
    Don't let the average wage fool you, most people earn much less.
    It's pushed up by the high earners.
    • Soot2006
    • By Soot2006 9th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    Soot2006
    OP,

Our cleaner gets £10/hour (we actually pay £15/hour to the cleaning company who supply the cleaner; she gets £10. The insurance, etc, is via the company). She has 2/hours for a 2-bedroom house and is expected to do all rooms. It is tight, timing-wise. With a new cleaner I always have an early discussion about expectations. I expect:

- to come home to a house that smells nice; clean sheets with old sheets + cleaning cloths cycling in the washing machine at the right temp with the right detergent.

- that the floors are glowing (hoovered, inc under/behind easy to move furniture + mopped)

- that the kitchen and bathroom are spic n span inc hob but not oven

- that she uses only products I supply (I have allergies)

... I don't expect perfection in every room! I ask her to do one room each week in detail so there is a rotation of deep cleaning. I don't expect her to work non-stop for 2 hours without breathing. She is welcome to my tea and coffee and milk and can help herself. She can turn on the TV or radio or whatever makes her feel comfortable as she works (she normally just uses her own headphones but I always think it makes sense to let people know you don't mind!).

A few times a year I pay for a deep clean from the company which my cleaner will do with a colleague.

What makes her good? The house is lovely, none of my stuff has been moved (important!), if she has time she does the trimmings (e.g. if I managed to do a proper clean at weekend, she'll do all the windows and the oven etc), she gets on with my dogs, she doesn't mention my undies (they just magically migrate to the laundry basket), she is honest, reliable and I am comfortable with her having the keys to my house!
    • webcrest043
    • By webcrest043 12th Sep 17, 10:06 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    webcrest043
    In my point of view, some of characteristics for a good cleaner. It must be consistent attention to detail is exceedingly important to a cleaner. Must be honest, As well as being well timed, good timekeeping
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 4,385 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    A lot of people do work for the minimum wage.
    Very many.
    Don't let the average wage fool you, most people earn much less.
    It's pushed up by the high earners.
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    If you work for NMW you don't pay a third of it in tax and NI though, you pay much less.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 12th Sep 17, 10:15 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    Kim kim
    If you work for NMW you don't pay a third of it in tax and NI though, you pay much less.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    It depends on if you have any other income.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

75Posts Today

1,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin