Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skymist
    • By Skymist 23rd Aug 17, 3:55 PM
    • 403Posts
    • 1,512Thanks
    Skymist
    Need to find a new laptop to install Linux Mint on
    • 23rd Aug 17, 3:55 PM
    Need to find a new laptop to install Linux Mint on 23rd Aug 17 at 3:55 PM
    Hi Techies...I’m in need of some help.

My Windows 7 Acer Aspire 5741-A, has just died! It’s overheating, and on looking at some Youtube videos on how to clean it….well, it’s just too much for me! I’m a 67 year old OAP, and
    taught myself how to use a laptop back in 2005.

I managed to avoid the...for me ...dreaded Windows 10, and have over the years flirted with Linux Mint! I can use it, but mostly it’s just through sheer luck, not any IT knowledge!

Anyway, I have an even older Acer Aspire (5535), which came with Vista installed, but the backlight kept going, hence my Windows 7 machine!

Anyway, after Windows 7 EOL….. and I haven’t been updating either-just been careful….I was planing to install Linux Mint Mate 18.1 on the 5535, and had made a CD of it. Fortunate that I did,’cos the 5741 stoped last night, but also fortunately, the backlight is working at the moment on the 5535, so I installed th Linux Mint OS!

But...I’m aware that this could go at any minute….a shop quoted me £140 to fix the backlight, so that’s why I bought the Windows 7 machine.

Right...I need some help with finding/buying a new...and cheap...laptop with the sole purpose of installing Linux on, but have read in several places that a lot of the cheaper laptops are now blocking this, so any ideas please?

Sorry for the long waffling post, but trying to put in all info! I use my laptop for general browsing, email Skype and watching stuff...if that’s a consideration!

Many thanks in advance, S
Page 3
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 7th Sep 17, 8:36 AM
    • 7,734 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Don't want to throw a spanner in the works / add to the problem but what about Dual Booting - either Linux + Win 7 or even Linux + Win 10 ?
    • Skymist
    • By Skymist 7th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Skymist
    50Twuncle, you're not throwing any spanners in the works....dual booting when I had Vista was when I first learnt how to use a Linux distro; I was using Ubuntu!

But I don't want windows 10....EVER... and people, we all have our own reasons whether to use it or not, like it or not....so please don't post your opinions about it, thanks. It's not for me....too intrusive, too much MS control etc. etc.!

At the moment my Windows 7 is fully functional on the 5741, as is my Linux Mint 18.1 (bar Skype) on the 5535....so, I'm one very contented old lady!

Again, thanks for all your help, suggestions and shared knowledge.
    S
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 7th Sep 17, 6:54 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    WAYT
    50Twuncle, you're not throwing any spanners in the works....dual booting when I had Vista was when I first learnt how to use a Linux distro; I was using Ubuntu!

But I don't want windows 10....EVER... and people, we all have our own reasons whether to use it or not, like it or not....so please don't post your opinions about it, thanks. It's not for me....too intrusive, too much MS control etc. etc.!

At the moment my Windows 7 is fully functional on the 5741, as is my Linux Mint 18.1 (bar Skype) on the 5535....so, I'm one very contented old lady!

Again, thanks for all your help, suggestions and shared knowledge.
    S
    Originally posted by Skymist
    So you didn't get around to updating the 5535? Then perhaps you could dual boot Windows 7 and Linux Mint and have Skype working there too.
    • Skymist
    • By Skymist 7th Sep 17, 7:26 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Skymist
    On the 5535 with Linux Mint 18.1, I installed Skype for Linux Beta 5.4.0.1, but it doesn't work....I tried it with my next door neighbour as we spoke on the phone, but no luck in connecting...she couldn't connect to me or see me as online, and vice versa! I haven't had Vista on it for years...had wiped it and had installed an earlier version of Mint, but then the backlight problem happened, so I bought the 5741 Windows 7, which was a few years ago now! . The backlight problem seems to have stopped...for the time being..... but I'm back to using the Windows 7 machine for now, as it serves my purposes!

My 5741 Windows 7 machine has Skype for Windows on it, and that works fine.

S
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 8th Sep 17, 11:40 AM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 1,537 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    On the 5535 with Linux Mint 18.1, I installed Skype for Linux Beta 5.4.0.1, but it doesn't work....I tried it with my next door neighbour as we spoke on the phone, but no luck in connecting...she couldn't connect to me or see me as online, and vice versa!
    That sounds like the problems we've with skype when trying to mix old and new versions. The old design was peer-to-peer - the connection would establish by bouncing off other copies of skype it found on the network, but the new model is "cloud" (central-server) based.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype_protocol

I had heard that the old network would be switched off in July this year, but it doesn't seem to have happened, since my old skype client (4.3.0.37) is still working.

So if your neighbour is using an old client, and you are using a new client, it's possible that they can't see each other.

My distributed team at work use skype for weekly calls, and I think I mentioned that I now use the web-based skype on chromium in order to participate. You could give that a try.
    • Skymist
    • By Skymist 8th Sep 17, 12:59 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Skymist
    Thanks for that information psychic teabag.I also read that the old network would be switched off in July this year, which is why I installed the one on the Skype download page, i.e. the newer version! But, computer says NO!!!

Anyway, as I've said, I'm using my newly cleaned Win 7 machine at the moment, so there is no problem.

When that machine no longer functions and I have to permanently switch to the Linux machine, I'll either download the older version, or by that time everyone may have been switched to the newer client. Either way, I will hopefully be able to have a functioning Skype, or use Viber, as suggested by HonourlessWeasel....or I'll be back on here asking you all for help again!

S
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 8th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    WAYT
    Thanks for that information psychic teabag.I also read that the old network would be switched off in July this year, which is why I installed the one on the Skype download page, i.e. the newer version! But, computer says NO!!!

Anyway, as I've said, I'm using my newly cleaned Win 7 machine at the moment, so there is no problem.

When that machine no longer functions and I have to permanently switch to the Linux machine, I'll either download the older version, or by that time everyone may have been switched to the newer client. Either way, I will hopefully be able to have a functioning Skype, or use Viber, as suggested by HonourlessWeasel....or I'll be back on here asking you all for help again!

S

....or simply update the machine and dual boot Windows 7 and Linux so that you are ready in the case of the other machine failing.
    • Skymist
    • By Skymist 8th Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Skymist
    As I've already said WAYT, I HAVE Linux installed on the 5535 machine and Windows 7 on the 5741 machine, therefore I have no need for dual booting on either laptop!!!

I'm hoping that now the overheating problem has been sorted on the 5741 Win 7 laptop, that that will continue to function for a reasonably long time to come, as that was the only problem with it!

S
    Last edited by Skymist; 08-09-2017 at 8:02 PM.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 8th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    WAYT
    As I've already said WAYT, I HAVE Linux installed on the 5535 machine and Windows 7 on the 5741 machine, therefore I have no need for dual booting on either laptop!!!

I'm hoping that now the overheating problem has been sorted on the 5741 Win 7 laptop, that that will continue to function for a reasonably long time to come, as that was the only problem with it!

S
    It seems that I am talking to the wall.

You wrote;

When that machine no longer functions and I have to permanently switch to the Linux machine, I'll either download the older version, or by that time everyone may have been switched to the newer client. Either way, I will hopefully be able to have a functioning Skype, or use Viber,
    The point being that the other machine would be ready, rather than you having to look for a solution at the point of failure. Seeing as it costs you nothing, why would you not do it?

You don't need to repeat the same things to me, I understood fully in the first instance. I'm just not sure that you understand.
    The Aspire 5535 can have both Windows 7 and Linux installed to it, at no cost to you. So if and when the Aspire 5741 fails, you will still have the best of both worlds.
    You don't have to wait until the Aspire 5741 fails before acting.
    Of course there is no obligation to do so. It's just that you appear to think that your only option wehn the machine fails is to utilise Linux alone.
    • Skymist
    • By Skymist 9th Sep 17, 12:50 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Skymist
    Ah WAYT...please excuse the senior moments...I see what you mean now.

Not sure of the exact timeline, 'cos it was quite a few years ago, but at some point I decided to install Linux Mint, instead of keeping the dual boot of Ubuntu and Vista, but, at that time, knowing even less than I know now, I didn't realize that I had overwritten the Vista restore partition when I installed Mint, even though I had made the prerequisite restore DVDs, which didn't work on their own! I searched high and low on Google to try and correct the mistake, but kept reading that once overwritten, they were gone! Then the backlight problem occurred...which, at the moment seems to have stopped occurring.....so I bought the Win 7 machine.

Also the Aspire 5535 only has a Vista licence on it.

S
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 9th Sep 17, 4:51 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    WAYT
    Ah WAYT...please excuse the senior moments...I see what you mean now.

Not sure of the exact timeline, 'cos it was quite a few years ago, but at some point I decided to install Linux Mint, instead of keeping the dual boot of Ubuntu and Vista, but, at that time, knowing even less than I know now, I didn't realize that I had overwritten the Vista restore partition when I installed Mint, even though I had made the prerequisite restore DVDs, which didn't work on their own! I searched high and low on Google to try and correct the mistake, but kept reading that once overwritten, they were gone! Then the backlight problem occurred...which, at the moment seems to have stopped occurring.....so I bought the Win 7 machine.

Also the Aspire 5535 only has a Vista licence on it.

S
    The guide in post #32 updates the licence to Windows 7. Though I'm concerned about you being able to follow it. Gulp!
    • Skymist
    • By Skymist 10th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Skymist
    WAYT have sent you a PM

S
    • Skymist
    • By Skymist 10th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Skymist
    WAYT my sent folder is not showing any sent messages, so please say if you didn't receive my PM!

Thanks

S
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 10th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 1,537 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    WAYT have sent you a PM

S
    You do realise that the things WAYT is directing to you do are the sorts of things you should never ever do (download some random software from a random person on the internet, and run it as admin...)
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    WAYT
    You do realise that the things WAYT is directing to you do are the sorts of things you should never ever do (download some random software from a random person on the internet, and run it as admin...)
    Originally posted by psychic teabag
    You do realise that you are writing utter nonsense....don't you?

If you had any character to you, you would check the download for possible malware before posting.
    For good reason I posted it on the open board.
    Instead you prefer to illustrate your ignorant scaremongering to one and all. Congratulations.
    • J B
    • By J B 10th Sep 17, 9:45 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    J B
    Originally posted by psychic teabag
    Well, I trust him impeccably - he has helped me on several occasions and never a dodgy download yet.

Of course you should never download random software from an unknown source, but to take advice from someone who ... well, gives good advice isn't quite the same.

You do realise that you are writing utter nonsense....don't you?
    Originally posted by WAYT
    • Skymist
    • By Skymist 11th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Skymist
    As I've said, I am perfectly happy with my set-ups at the moment, just looking for a Skype replacement to use between Linux Mint (me) and Mac (my son). Viber has already been suggested (thanks again HonourlessWeasel ).

Yesterday I came across this....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_(software)

"Many employees working on Wire have previously worked with Skype, and Skype's co-founder Janus Friis is backing the project."

https://wire.com/en/

Has anyone used this?

TIA

S
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,540Posts Today

4,229Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin