Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chrishgt4
    • By chrishgt4 23rd Aug 17, 1:42 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 10Thanks
    chrishgt4
    Parking Charge Notice from VCS - have Parking Ticket
    • 23rd Aug 17, 1:42 PM
    Parking Charge Notice from VCS - have Parking Ticket 23rd Aug 17 at 1:42 PM
    Hi,

I've had a bit of a search but can't seem to find what to do in the circumstance that I am in.

A car to which I have access was parked with a paid ticket. However, this was face down in the car.

Driver arrived back at the car to find a card directing the driver to myparkingcharge.co.uk

I contacted the venue that the car park is for who said they don't get involved.

A week later the owner received a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) Notice to Keeper (NTK) letter stating the contravention reason being parked without clearly displaying a valid ticket/permit.

First question is - if the card on the windscreen is not a notice to keeper, how did they get access to the keeper's details. I thought this was only allowed after 28 days of the date on the NTK date.

Second question is - that aside, given that I have a parking ticket for the appropriate date and time, is it worth pursuing a resolution directly based on that? Their photos show the back of the ticket bearing the same ID number as the front of the ticket that I have in my possession, so it's not really arguable that it is a different ticket. Or would they just stand by the fact that the contravention is improper display of said ticket?

Apologies as I'm sure this question has been asked and answered but I just couldn't find anything specific to VCS regarding improper display.

Thanks in advance

Chris
Page 2
    • Edna Basher
    • By Edna Basher 8th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    Edna Basher
    ....."(f)warn the keeper that if, at the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to keeper is given".......

Their letter reads:

"Please be warned: that if, after the period of 28 days beginning with the day after the Issue Date of this Notice, the amount of the unpaid Parking Charge specified in this Notice has not been paid in full.......................
    Originally posted by chrishgt4
    In my view, VCS has not complied with POFA. The "date given" and "issue date" are not the same thing.

Applying the same logic that the DVLA has applied to "Notices to Driver", VCS have no right to call their PCN a "Notice to Keeper".
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 8th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 51,537 Posts
    • 65,144 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Well caught, Edna Basher - I was surprised that it looked compliant when I read it...I agree, it is NOT. I blame the fact I've been v busy this week!

PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• chrishgt4
    • By chrishgt4 8th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    chrishgt4
    In my view, VCS has not complied with POFA. The "date given" and "issue date" are not the same thing.

Applying the same logic that the DVLA has applied to "Notices to Driver", VCS have no right to call their PCN a "Notice to Keeper".
    Originally posted by Edna Basher
    Even better! Thanks Edna!

Do you think this is something that if I brought to their attention would stop them from pursuing this through the courts?

I've got 2 concerns running through this - 1 not paying the thieving ***s
    2 - not causing my friend hassle. and 2 is most important.

If they are still potentially going to pursue, I still think it's time to out myself as driver to save hassle for my friend having to defend.

Also, in the letter detailed above I was considering inserting the 'fluttering ticket' defense points. (it was dark, ticket turned over, it's not sticky, not fit for purpose - frustrated contract and that it was displayed clearly as instructed but nowhere does it specify which side of the ticket should be displayed - and that in any case it would be fair to assume that as there is a unique reference number on the rear, that displaying that would be acceptable) just to try and get them to back off.

Any point? good idea/bad idea you think?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 8th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    • 51,537 Posts
    • 65,144 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Do you think this is something that if I brought to their attention would stop them from pursuing this through the courts?
    Nope.

If they are still potentially going to pursue, I still think it's time to out myself as driver to save hassle for my friend having to defend.
    OK, yes, we would say they are likely to pursue it.

Also, in the letter detailed above I was considering inserting the 'fluttering ticket' defense points. (it was dark, ticket turned over, it's not sticky, not fit for purpose - frustrated contract and that it was displayed clearly as instructed but nowhere does it specify which side of the ticket should be displayed - and that in any case it would be fair to assume that as there is a unique reference number on the rear, that displaying that would be acceptable) just to try and get them to back off.

Any point? good idea/bad idea you think?
    Yes, it shows good faith to set out the facts you as driver, will rely upon in a defence.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• chrishgt4
    • By chrishgt4 12th Sep 17, 1:31 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    chrishgt4
    Thanks for all the help here guys.

A small update is that I got a reply back from the business owner saying they don't get involved but that he would see what he can do in this instance.

Also fired off a letter to VCS same as the latest one above but also outing me as driver and going on to detail the arguments I have with the ticket so will see how this goes.
    Last edited by chrishgt4; 12-09-2017 at 1:32 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    • chrishgt4
    • By chrishgt4 18th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    chrishgt4
    Update
    Quick update on this - 8 days on and I've just got a follow-up email from one of the main guys at Sheffield Arena saying that he believes it should be sorted out.

Just waiting on confirmation from VCS themselves but it seems a complaint to landowner has worked this time.

Thanks for everyone's help
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,915Posts Today

7,732Users online

Martin's Twitter