Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cezzy
    • By Cezzy 23rd Aug 17, 10:44 AM
    • 1,739Posts
    • 245,818Thanks
    Cezzy
    Regular vs Electric Bike
    • 23rd Aug 17, 10:44 AM
    Regular vs Electric Bike 23rd Aug 17 at 10:44 AM
    Just looking at treating myself to a new bike. My partner and I love trail biking but I do struggle a bit on some of the uphill bits. As I looked around I also had a go on some electric bikes. I always thought they were really heavy and they were not. Also they look better now. Quite taken by them and it would certainly help me on the difficult bits ! Booked to take one out tomorrow on a proper trail to test.

Has anyone got one ? Any words of wisdom ?

Cezzy
    ~ Smile and light up your world ~
    ~ ask, believe, receive ~
Page 2
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 11th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Unfortunately these myths about ebikes won't go away, I guess possibly it's from a lack of experience with the technology as like the post above, a lot of people seem to confuse them with electric mopeds requiring no work from the rider. Which simply isn't true, the rider still needs to pedal the bike but for the same amount of effort they can go further, faster and don't need to worry about hills or head winds.

I find the snobbery puzzling as well, I'd say I'm a pretty decent bike rider but I'm pleased to see people getting out and enjoy cycling on ebikes. It's strange that there's such criticism for ebike riders but not those with motor vehicles where there genuinely is no effort.

John
    Originally posted by Johnmcl7
    I thought some bikes don't need you to contribute?
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 11th Sep 17, 1:30 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    I looked at Ebikes in depth when I first started to ride to work 4 years ago.

I thought there was no way I could cycle 10 miles each way. Years later I find it little effort at all and love the fitness. I was glad I never went for one. We have showers and lockers at work. I wear overalls so getting a little sweaty is no big deal.

There are some beautiful models out there and the technology is coming on fast.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 11-09-2017 at 4:52 PM.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 11th Sep 17, 4:43 PM
    • 625 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    House Martin
    I thought some bikes don't need you to contribute?
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    My Izip Ezgo did nt need to have me pedalling at all but their latest models advertise that anything over 8 mph you have to rotate the pedals a little whilst the motor does all the work..So you can just sit there, freezing cold being bored witless , doing virtually nothing. What a terrible way of going a few miles.
    I got mine for my partner and she point blank refused to go on the thing, I dont blame her..Anyone thinking about getting one should try before they buy , and I don t mean a quick run round the block. Do 5 miles on the thing to see if you can stand it.
    They are not popular at all and I rarely see one on the open road. Hard bitten money savers may love them though ! factor in costly batteries every now and then, they don t last forever.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 11th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    My Izip Ezgo did nt need to have me pedalling at all but their latest models advertise that anything over 8 mph you have to rotate the pedals a little whilst the motor does all the work..So you can just sit there, freezing cold being bored witless , doing virtually nothing. What a terrible way of going a few miles.
    I got mine for my partner and she point blank refused to go on the thing, I dont blame her..Anyone thinking about getting one should try before they buy , and I don t mean a quick run round the block. Do 5 miles on the thing to see if you can stand it.
    They are not popular at all and I rarely see one on the open road. Hard bitten money savers may love them though ! factor in costly batteries every now and then, they don t last forever.
    Originally posted by House Martin
    Thats depends. I really don't use my second car much now at all. If owning one over a car was the choice then it would be a good one in my view.

There are two used at my workplace most days and I see a few on my journey to work often.

Things have moved on miles than a Izip Ezgo let's be fair.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 11th Sep 17, 5:45 PM
    • 2,674 Posts
    • 3,920 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    No wonder your view of eBikes is so jaded if this

is your only experience of them.

Try something like this

and see what you think.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 11th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 625 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    House Martin
    I must admit I like the look of that, can t see a battery on it anywhere though. Its a bit pricey for an aluminium framed e bike at around £1k rrp and 16kg weight is a big lump to pedal on its own. I would certainly consider that if the doctor found some medical condition which made me slow down a bit.
    My current bike is an absolute dream to ride. So easy to pedal its a delight and just glides over the roads with little friction from the rock hard 23mm thin tyres..A little used Planet X all carbon fibre frame with lightweight quality groupset weighing less than 8kgs you can pick it up with one finger. Very responsive to pedal ,for only £600. That is a bike to aspire to. Lighter the better makes cycling a pleasure IMO. I ll be flying past the leccy bikes.. OK maybe not up the hills !
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 11th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    • 4,468 Posts
    • 2,791 Thanks
    KeithP
    ...can t see a battery on it anywhere though.
    It's in that saddle bag.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 12th Sep 17, 7:22 AM
    • 2,674 Posts
    • 3,920 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    I must admit I like the look of that, can t see a battery on it anywhere though. Its a bit pricey for an aluminium framed e bike at around £1k rrp and 16kg weight is a big lump to pedal on its own. I would certainly consider that if the doctor found some medical condition which made me slow down a bit.
    My current bike is an absolute dream to ride. So easy to pedal its a delight and just glides over the roads with little friction from the rock hard 23mm thin tyres..A little used Planet X all carbon fibre frame with lightweight quality groupset weighing less than 8kgs you can pick it up with one finger. Very responsive to pedal ,for only £600. That is a bike to aspire to. Lighter the better makes cycling a pleasure IMO. I ll be flying past the leccy bikes.. OK maybe not up the hills !
    It's not about "aspiration" it's about the right tools for the right job.

Yes your bike is very nice (a bit heavy, my brother's self built comes it at around 6kgs , but he does go all over the Alps and follows the Tour de France circuit regularly) and if I was after a bike for pleasure/leisure/recreation then it would be an option.

But I don't want to cycle for recreation, I want a commuting vehicle to get me as cheaply and easily to and from work with a minimal amount of effort.

Horses for courses and all that.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 13th Sep 17, 1:35 AM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 2,178 Thanks
    Richard53
    My Izip Ezgo did nt need to have me pedalling at all but their latest models advertise that anything over 8 mph you have to rotate the pedals a little whilst the motor does all the work.
    If that is the case, then the bike is not legal for UK roads. To be considered an EAPC, the power must only come in when the pedals are rotated. You stop pedalling, it stops helping you. If you can have power without pedalling, legally it's a motorbike and needs a helmet, licence, tax and insurance. My ebike has a twist throttle which means you can plod along without pedalling, but that model can no longer be sold here, and I never use it anyway - I can go faster by pedalling.

I find your attitude very condescending, I'm afraid.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • Saga
    • By Saga 5th Nov 17, 9:53 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Saga
    I am the wrong sides of both 40 and healthy unfortunately (cranky knees & more weight than I'd like). Am I very wrong to think that an ebike is a great commuting solution which is much cheaper to buy & run than a car and will allow me to travel 5-10 miles one way without getting sweaty or our of breath?
    ---
    100% debt-free!
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Nov 17, 12:51 PM
    • 4,468 Posts
    • 2,791 Thanks
    KeithP
    I am the wrong sides of both 40 and healthy unfortunately (cranky knees & more weight than I'd like). Am I very wrong to think that an ebike is a great commuting solution which is much cheaper to buy & run than a car and will allow me to travel 5-10 miles one way without getting sweaty or our of breath?
    Originally posted by Saga
    You are not wrong to think that.
    It will do all of those things.

Visit the forum mentioned in post #4 and explore the possibilities.
    Last edited by KeithP; 05-11-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    • Saga
    • By Saga 5th Nov 17, 1:50 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Saga
    Thanks KeithP.
    ---
    100% debt-free!
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 6th Nov 17, 2:30 AM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    It's certainly possible to do all of that on an ebike particularly as it's a relatively short distance so it's not great for a car in terms of wear and tear whereas it's fine for a bike with no need to warm up or similar. While there is wear and tear on a bike, the costs are far cheaper than that on a car.

It's a big upfront cost for a decent ebike though and it need some commitment particularly in the British weather. You need good clothing and protection although even then it can be unpleasant when it's various combinations of cold, wet and windy. Rather than immediately replace a car it's a lot easier to ease yourself in by gradually building up the amount the bike is used.

It's also useful to be able to do basic repairs at the road side as it is possible to puncture a tyre or break a chain although on a short distance like that, it should be a rare occurrence.
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 6th Nov 17, 5:03 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    TyreLever
    If you get one, make sure its got a Lithium battery rather than the old Lead acid type.All electric bikes weigh a ton, and they are an absolute pain to pedal if they go flat on a journey..Any hills and you will be pushing the thing and cursing.
    In my view you should forget it and just get the lightest bike you can afford.You will have all the gears you need to get up all hills anyway..
    Electric bikes are very expensive and if you buy a used one factor in the price of a new battery..Lithium batteries are also very expensive..Just google the price of a new one .They do not last forever.
    Do not buy an electric bike..you have given up on life if you sit back and twist a throttle.You may as well drive the car.
    Everyone struggles a bit on the uphill bits, you have at least a dozen gears. If you are healthy do not succumb to the easy way. I m 67 and just did a 20 miler fairly fast yesterday evening and felt great doing it.
    I admit my bike is a dream to ride, all carbon fibre frame weighing only 8kg with narrow tyres but was nt expensive.Planet X special

Can't remember the last time I seen so much sense come from one individual.

I am of the mindset that if your gonna buy a push bike, then it should be all human powered and mechanical. None of that electrical bollx, not even the new fangled electric gearing. Defeats the purpose of cycling IMO. Get a nice bicycle. I have a 15 mile commute and I ride a standard bike that weighs quite a lot with all my gear attached.

I do see the appeal in an E bike tho. I don't cycle everyday, but an E bike should make the tedious task of commuting somewhat easier. They may also open up cycling to those with fitness issues. Depends on how good the batteries are and how heavy the the bikes are. I think they would need to be ridable in case of power failure. As far as I know, the batteries don't last all that long between charges, something like 30 or 40 miles. Hopefully longer these days.

However standard bikes are generally preferable for the reasons mentioned.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 6th Nov 17, 5:39 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    TyreLever
    It's certainly possible to do all of that on an ebike particularly as it's a relatively short distance so it's not great for a car in terms of wear and tear whereas it's fine for a bike with no need to warm up or similar. While there is wear and tear on a bike, the costs are far cheaper than that on a car.

It's a big upfront cost for a decent ebike though and it need some commitment particularly in the British weather. You need good clothing and protection although even then it can be unpleasant when it's various combinations of cold, wet and windy. Rather than immediately replace a car it's a lot easier to ease yourself in by gradually building up the amount the bike is used.

It's also useful to be able to do basic repairs at the road side as it is possible to puncture a tyre or break a chain although on a short distance like that, it should be a rare occurrence.
    Originally posted by Johnmcl7
    Warm, wet and windy would be even worse. They clothing you use to keep you dry, also tend to trap heat. Useful when it's cold but not so useful if you're already hot. You get very sweaty in waterproofs.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 6th Nov 17, 6:42 PM
    • 2,674 Posts
    • 3,920 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Can't remember the last time I seen so much sense come from one individual.

I am of the mindset that if your gonna buy a push bike, then it should be all human powered and mechanical. None of that electrical bollx, not even the new fangled electric gearing. Defeats the purpose of cycling IMO. Get a nice bicycle. I have a 15 mile commute and I ride a standard bike that weighs quite a lot with all my gear attached.

I do see the appeal in an E bike tho. I don't cycle everyday, but an E bike should make the tedious task of commuting somewhat easier. They may also open up cycling to those with fitness issues. Depends on how good the batteries are and how heavy the the bikes are. I think they would need to be ridable in case of power failure. As far as I know, the batteries don't last all that long between charges, something like 30 or 40 miles. Hopefully longer these days.

However standard bikes are generally preferable for the reasons mentioned.
    Originally posted by TyreLever
    Seem to be contradicting yourself there.

Also what is the purpose of cycling exactly?

For me, it's commuting as quickly (certainly quicker than a car) and as cheaply (>2p a charge) as possible and not being too knackered to do a full days physical work.

For my brother, it is purely recreational and about personal challenge, getting up that mountain quicker than last time, seeing how close he can get to the pro's times on the Tour de France stages etc.

At the end of the day a cycle is a multi-faceted tool that people will use in the way that suits them and their needs. The disdain sometimes aimed at the eBike user is just pure snobbery.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 6th Nov 17, 9:22 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    Warm, wet and windy would be even worse. They clothing you use to keep you dry, also tend to trap heat. Useful when it's cold but not so useful if you're already hot. You get very sweaty in waterproofs.
    That's completely missing the point of the post although I'd prefer warm, wet and windy, it's not a problem getting wet if you're not also getting cold.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 6th Nov 17, 11:51 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 2,184 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Defeats the purpose of cycling IMO. .
    And what is the purpose of cycling in your opinion?

The point is other people will have different opinions, different personal situations. Personally I just have a bike for a little bit of extra exercise, transport for shorter journeys into town for lightweight shopping and the like. Others will have different needs and wants.

I'm always suspicious of any dogmatic opinion when it comes to cycling (or anything else for that matter..).
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 14th Nov 17, 9:43 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    TyreLever
    Seem to be contradicting yourself there.

Also what is the purpose of cycling exactly?

For me, it's commuting as quickly (certainly quicker than a car) and as cheaply (>2p a charge) as possible and not being too knackered to do a full days physical work.

For my brother, it is purely recreational and about personal challenge, getting up that mountain quicker than last time, seeing how close he can get to the pro's times on the Tour de France stages etc.

At the end of the day a cycle is a multi-faceted tool that people will use in the way that suits them and their needs. The disdain sometimes aimed at the eBike user is just pure snobbery.
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    Nothing wrong with E bikes. I was trying to say that for me personally, its all about YOU and moving under your own power. For people with medical issues, or long commutes then I can see how electric assist would help if the range is good enough.

Their biggest downside is the 15mph thing. It would be much better if the power assist didnt cut out at all. If people could easily ride 30 or so mph it might encourage more cycling use over car use. I think people would relish the ability to do that without the faff of licensing and insurance.
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 15th Nov 17, 2:05 AM
    • 2,946 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    Xbigman
    Its a safety issue. The faster you travel the heavier you are. At much over 15.5 proper regulation of brakes and tyre systems would need to be introduced, at which point its a moped. As it happens that is pretty much what the law says now.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

538Posts Today

4,469Users online

Martin's Twitter