Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sara Nixon
    • By Sara Nixon 23rd Aug 17, 8:24 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sara Nixon
    Reclaimed packaged Bank Account Charges
    • 23rd Aug 17, 8:24 AM
    Reclaimed packaged Bank Account Charges 23rd Aug 17 at 8:24 AM
    Thank you MSE ... I used your online template (Resolver) to contact Lloyds and within five days they had deposited £1653.02 back into my account. Result! I am delighted ...and no hassle or questions asked either!
Page 3
    • debby wilson
    • By debby wilson 7th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    debby wilson
    I would check your breakdown cover, my cover was worthless when I tried to use it and had to pay privately to get my car recovered after it broke down. I now pay a small monthly to a breakdown scheme independantly
    • cbay84
    • By cbay84 13th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cbay84
    Lloyds have rejected my claim, are they right?
    Hi,

I recently submitted a claim through resolver to Lloyds bank. I remember sometime around 2005 going in to the bank to ask for an overdraft but being told the only way to get one was to have a packaged bank account. At the time this was only £5 so I agreed (although it is now £18). I never wanted the packaged bank account, just the overdraft facility. However Lloyds have rejected my claim as they say I have used the breakdown cover and they think I applied online to upgrade the account. Even though I didn't take out a packaged bank account to use any of the benefits, are they right in rejecting my claim because I have used the breakdown cover?

Thanks
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 90,377 Posts
    • 57,171 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi,

I recently submitted a claim through resolver to Lloyds bank. I remember sometime around 2005 going in to the bank to ask for an overdraft but being told the only way to get one was to have a packaged bank account. At the time this was only £5 so I agreed (although it is now £18). I never wanted the packaged bank account, just the overdraft facility. However Lloyds have rejected my claim as they say I have used the breakdown cover and they think I applied online to upgrade the account. Even though I didn't take out a packaged bank account to use any of the benefits, are they right in rejecting my claim because I have used the breakdown cover?

Thanks
    Originally posted by cbay84
    Using a facility on the account does not mean the bank can reject it without consideration. However, it can negate some complaint reasons. For example, you say you only wanted it for the overdraft. Yet lloyds are also saying you not only registered fro the breakdown side but you also used it. So, that pretty much negates your complaint reason.

Also, even if they uphold your complaint, they can deduct the market cost of the parts of the package you used against the redress.

If you did apply online, then you are largely stuffed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Dave789
    • By Dave789 16th Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dave789
    I'm new to forums I've used the resolver application .for the Halifax has any one had any luck with them as they have tryed to ring me what should I expect to be asked .
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    • 14,908 Posts
    • 15,742 Thanks
    zx81
    It's not about luck. It's about whether you have valid mis sale reasons.

They will ask you about your complaint. You just need to answer honestly.
    • Dave789
    • By Dave789 16th Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dave789
    Thank you I do feel I was miss sold an I've previously called to cancel and always been persuaded to keep it on never used any perks . Was advised it would help me in branch with better rates etc
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 20th Oct 17, 12:44 AM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 5,983 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Lloyds have today paid out for £410 to myself for mis sold packaged bank account. Two weeks from start to finish , done through Resolver .
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3209 CC2 £308

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Ginger Andy
    • By Ginger Andy 24th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ginger Andy
    Great to hear people's success stories.

I used Resolver to complain regarding Lloyds bank charges on a Select account that I didn't realise I was paying for and didn't need or use (phone insurance, AA etc). It worked really fast. Within two days Lloyds have called me and rejected my complaint based on the fact i had a phone and a car so wasn't mis sold. They haven't addressed that I didn't know I was paying for it or used it.

Is it worth me going to the financial ombudsmen? Do I have to wait 8 weeks even though they have verbally rejected within two days?Resolver doesn't give me the option to escalate yet although I could not use Resolver.

Had the account since 2006 and will be changing account soon.

Any advise is appreciated and sorry if this has been asked already.

Andy
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 24th Oct 17, 10:23 PM
    • 19,119 Posts
    • 10,298 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    You can refer your complaint as soon as it is rejected, but on what basis would you appeal? The Bank have evidence that you've used the benefits of the account and that would seem to account for your "complaint" that you didn't know you had the account. Did you never look at your statements? That's what the Bank will have looked at and what they will present to the Ombudsman if you refer your complaint.

If the Bank have only verbally rejected your complaint, you'll need to wait for (or request) a rejection letter which will also provide details of how to refer your complaint to the Ombudsman.
    • Ginger Andy
    • By Ginger Andy 25th Oct 17, 7:57 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ginger Andy
    Thanks
    Hi, thanks for the reply and advise.

Wasn't looking for your verdict on my case lol...but to answer your question. I have never used the benefits.

Thanks
    Andy
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 25th Oct 17, 10:08 AM
    • 19,119 Posts
    • 10,298 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Wasn't looking for your verdict on my case lol
    Originally posted by Ginger Andy
    You can't dictate the content of the responses you get on a public forum, I'm afraid.

Complaining that you weren't aware that you had a fee-paying account is probably the weakest complaint you could make. All you are effectively saying is that you never checked your statements and/or queried the fee which was itemised each month on a separate line.

Not having used any of the benefits is a plus point, but the account would only have been definitely mis-sold if you actually could not use any of those benefits. This is the reason the Bank referenced that you had a car (so could use breakdown cover) and a phone (accidental loss etc).

If you refer your case to the Ombudsman, these are the points which the adjudicator will be looking at.
    • Ginger Andy
    • By Ginger Andy 25th Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ginger Andy
    If only I could dictate forum responses I could dictate the banks too lol

You make a valid point that not knowing you were being charged is a weak argument. I made this the main point of my complaint to Lloyds as MSE lists this on their miss selling checklist as point number 5. Plus point 8 mentions you never registered for the insurance which I also did not do.

Hmmmm. Think I'll wait for the official rejection letter then word the letter to the ombudsmen better than I did to Lloyds.

Thanks for your input.
    • Karenakb
    • By Karenakb 1st Nov 17, 6:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Karenakb
    Hello,

Iíve seen the mention of mis- sold benefit accounts . I believe I was mid-sold this
    account in 2000. I was young and pregnant . I went to the bank to apply for a small loan and was unsuccessful. I was then offered the option of a credit card as a way to help instead , I accepted and was successful, I was very grateful . I wasnít aware of any benefits but I was aware of the charges for which I thought was for the privalegd of having a credit card. As time went on I became aware of the benefits ( post from the bank ) and the fact that it is an actual account and not just a credit card . I have used some of the benefits.

My questions: Does anyone know if there were benefits on an advantage Gold account at this time?

If there were , would I be entitled to any claim for the period that I was unaware and sold the wrong account. Any credit card would have been sufficient at that time.

I still have the account/cc- (well what it has been upgraded to) and it is in use. If I could make a claim, could they revoke my card/account or and ask for it to be paid in full?
    Many thanks
    P. S I hope I done this correctly- Iím a first timer
    • societys child
    • By societys child 1st Nov 17, 7:59 PM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 5,425 Thanks
    societys child
    Hi, Karen. You were happy and aware of the charges, used the benefits, but you've waited 17 years to complain about it?
    Last edited by societys child; 01-11-2017 at 8:02 PM.

• Caroleohare
    • By Caroleohare 1st Nov 17, 9:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Caroleohare
    Thank you MSN and my son
    My son successfully reclaimed his packaged account fees after seeing the MSE tips. He advised me that I should do the same as my claim was just as valid. I rang Lloyds and they were very helpful. Within two days I was contacted and informed that they had upheld my claim and I would be receiving £4400 for charges plus interest. Thank you MSE, my son, and Lloyds. Excellent service!
    • starshapedbrick
    • By starshapedbrick 2nd Nov 17, 9:26 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    starshapedbrick
    Another success - I used a template letter to write to Lloyds about an account I closed last year. I started off with a student account, then a graduate account and remembered that I was told I needed a packaged account to keep my overdraft when the graduate deal ended. I don't drive, never used the travel insurance and had phone insurance separately. Lloyds contacted me yesterday to advise refund of fees and interest to the tune of £3500 over 16 years!
    • Scorpio28
    • By Scorpio28 2nd Nov 17, 10:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Scorpio28
    Not sure if this is a record but I opened a case using resolver yesterday afternoon and this afternoon under 24hrs I received a phone call from Lloyd’s. They checked my details and agreed o was owed £1695. Two hours later it was in my bank.
    Thank MSE without resolver I would probably not even tried.
    • Katiejane97
    • By Katiejane97 3rd Nov 17, 3:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Katiejane97
    Hi can anyone tell me what year Martin Lewis first reported that package bank accounts had been miss sold the financial obmbusman are saying that I should have raised my complaint with natwest before 2011 as my bank account was sold in 2005 however they have only just stopped taking payment for it since I made my complaint. I dont remember being made aware account had been miss sold till after they first reported on miss sold ppi in 2010 and due to personal problems Iíve only just been able to get round to makeing a complaint natwest are being a pain where as Lloyd paid out straight away with no problems
    • zx81
    • By zx81 3rd Nov 17, 4:17 PM
    • 14,908 Posts
    • 15,742 Thanks
    zx81
    It doesn't matter when Martin Lewis first wrote about it.

It's about regulatory timeshare,, which is what FOS are telling you.
    • King Drax I
    • By King Drax I 3rd Nov 17, 11:13 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    King Drax I
    My gripe with Lloyds for my Platinum account extras isn't on the list but I thought I'd see what other forumers thought.

In fact I have two gripes.

First one is simple. The card protection part of the added value was downgraded so that it no longer gives insurance cover on fraudulently used cards like it used to do; now it only arranges for cards to be stopped and re-sent. Or could this be because cards now automatically include fraud protection - or do they?

Second one is a little more complex. I have had the Platinum account for several years (probably at least 6 years) and at the end of 2013, when it came to renewal of the travel insurance part of the package, they wanted us to fill in medical questionnaires - which they had not done when we first opened the value-added account - and determined that we (my wife, my daughter and myself) had medical conditions that they would no longer cover us for without payment of additional premiums. We declined that 'extra' cover, so now my daughter is not covered for M.E. related issues, and I am not covered for Autism-related issues (those are our 'medical conditions') but those policies used to protect us for those conditions previously and in fact the conditions were diagnosed during the insurance period before that 're-quote'. My wife has since died but the pains she was having at the time, and was undergoing medical investigations for, they told us that she would not be covered for that either whenever any diagnosis would be received. It turned out to be cancer and she died of it three years later. But was that re-quoting and attempted re-charging, and the subsequent partial loss of cover (which is still in effect) cause for a complaint? If so, I would like to do that...what does everyonne else think? TIA
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,659Posts Today

7,944Users online

Martin's Twitter