Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • matt1987
    • By matt1987 22nd Aug 17, 7:56 PM
    • 865Posts
    • 253Thanks
    matt1987
    Cars Stolen
    • 22nd Aug 17, 7:56 PM
    Cars Stolen 22nd Aug 17 at 7:56 PM
    Hey all,

Feeling so confused at the moment - and my insurance company really arent clearing anything up at the moment....

My house was broken into in the early hours of Monday morning, and consequently the thieves took my 2 vehicle - both under 2 years old and both on PCP.

My insurance policy states that if the vehicles are stolen within 2 years of new ownership, they will be replaced with new ones of the same UK spec.

I have been on the phone to the insurance again today as I wanted them to explain how this works - but they keep going on about market valuations and that someone will be in contact to discuss. Surely whats Market valuations got to do with anything when I have new car replacement?

Does anyone have any experience of this? Are the insurance company going to try and pull a fast one with me?

Thanks!

Matt
Page 2
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 23rd Aug 17, 6:57 PM
    • 5,281 Posts
    • 4,816 Thanks
    thescouselander
    Not sure if this is helpful advice or not but I have a lease and in the event of the car being stolen, the insurance company will pay out to the lease company and the lease will end. Don't know if it's the same with PCP but leasing and PCP are so bloody similar it's hard to tell them apart ...
    Originally posted by kmb500
    Interestingly not all leases are like this. Some contracts make you pay back the full value of the car and all of the remaining payments under the lease. There are special gap insurance policies to cover this but always read the TS and C's carefully as there is a potential to end up seriously out of pocket.
    Last edited by thescouselander; 23-08-2017 at 7:00 PM.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 23rd Aug 17, 7:07 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Interestingly not all leases are like this. Some contracts make you pay back the full value of the car and all of the remaining payments under the lease. There are special gap insurance policies to cover this but always read the TS and C's carefully as there is a potential to end up seriously out of pocket.
    Originally posted by thescouselander
    Given what he posted yesterday he either doesn't read too well or doesn't pay much attention to details.

Have you heard of a bedroom?

Edit: Sorry, forgot this is a Corsa. If I was having sex with kids I'd probably do it in my car too, wouldn't want my parents finding out and all that.
    Originally posted by kmb500

Just saying.
    • matt1987
    • By matt1987 24th Aug 17, 3:36 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    matt1987
    Spoken to someone more helpful at my insurance today. He said that the way they work the new car replacement is that they contact the finance company (in this case Audi and Mini finance) and basically ask them for authorisation to transfer what ever the balance is owed onto a brand new vehicle. If they agree to this, then I just keep paying what I am paying now and it was carry on as if nothing had happened - the difference being they will both be new cars with different registrations.

Its made me consider as to whether I actually want to own an Audi again :-(
    • matt1987
    • By matt1987 30th Aug 17, 11:46 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    matt1987
    So just an update on my progress. The insurers have agreed to replace both cars like for like and its been passed onto some vehicle sourcing agency.

Im still however not sure how this is going to work with the finance companies!

The kick in the teeth is that we have been told the hire cars are only for 14 days - which means from Monday I have no idea how I am going to get to work as I work hours where there is no public transport!
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 30th Aug 17, 11:56 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    You'll either have to hire one or use taxis.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 30th Aug 17, 12:41 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    I suspect this could quickly become a drawn out process.
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    Oxymoron - it cannot be quick and drawn out!!
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 30th Aug 17, 12:58 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    Why didn't you have a burglar alarm and use it if you have nice stuff? Can never understand people who don't.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 30th Aug 17, 2:24 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    caprikid1
    Why didn't you have a burglar alarm and use it if you have nice stuff? Can never understand people who don't.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond

His cars were not stolen, the finance companies cars were stolen.

Maybe the finance company should pay for an alarm ? Would that have stopped a Key theft ?
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 30th Aug 17, 4:46 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    House alarms are either linked to the police station and cost quite a lot to pay for monitoring, or they make a lot of noise and the neighbours just say "I wish they'd turn that alarm off, it's annoying" If we know that so will burglars. Also, if you have pets, the alarm companies always recommend you keep the zone that they stay in at night is unalarmed to avoid false calls which can result in the police no longer taking calls from your property.

If you then keep the keys upstairs, the police advise against this as this puts people at risk over property.

Bit of a pig in a poke really.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 30th Aug 17, 4:55 PM
    • 3,679 Posts
    • 3,977 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    House alarms are either linked to the police station and cost quite a lot to pay for monitoring, or they make a lot of noise and the neighbours just say "I wish they'd turn that alarm off, it's annoying" If we know that so will burglars. Also, if you have pets, the alarm companies always recommend you keep the zone that they stay in at night is unalarmed to avoid false calls which can result in the police no longer taking calls from your property.

If you then keep the keys upstairs, the police advise against this as this puts people at risk over property.

Bit of a pig in a poke really.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    But the OP was in the house at the time which the thieves probably knew so they wouldn't have hung around if the alarm had gone off.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 30th Aug 17, 5:03 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    But the OP was in the house at the time which the thieves probably knew so they wouldn't have hung around if the alarm had gone off.
    Originally posted by SuzieSue
    Doesn't take long to grab keys alarm or no alarm. We have a monitored alarm and security gates, plus lots of CCTV. So we are reasonably secure. The fobs for the gates and the keys are kept out of sight, but they would have to climb a 10ft wall to gain entry to the grounds. The alarm is the last line of defence.

In the situation the OP was in, he would have had the choice of confronting or not. There is no guarantee the burglars would have run away at the start of the audible alarm. If they can get 30 - 50k worth of cars, they might risk it. These weren't opportunists. I don't think an alarm would have made much of a difference. They already know they are risking a confrontation. The use of an alarm is no indication that the confrontation will be successful for the householder.
    Last edited by Mercdriver; 30-08-2017 at 5:08 PM.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 30th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    • 3,679 Posts
    • 3,977 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    Doesn't take long to grab keys alarm or no alarm. We have a monitored alarm and security gates, plus lots of CCTV. So we are reasonably secure. The fobs for the gates and the keys are kept out of sight, but they would have to climb a 10ft wall to gain entry to the grounds. The alarm is the last line of defence.

In the situation the OP was in, he would have had the choice of confronting or not. There is no guarantee the burglars would have run away at the start of the audible alarm. If they can get 30 - 50k worth of cars, they might risk it. These weren't opportunists. I don't think an alarm would have made much of a difference.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    Ok, if they were prepared to be violent then there is nothing anyone can do to stop them. But most car thieves would look for a house without an alarm if they could.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 31st Aug 17, 9:51 AM
    • 292 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    We have had the same alarm for 27 years; it has only gone off three times in all that period; twice were faults and once was a burglary; the burglars scarpered empty-handed as soon as it went off. I always set it for downstairs at night so if anyone does break in I get plenty of warning before I wake to find them standing over me in the bedroom!

Having said that unfortunately I can't pursuade my daughter and son-in-law to get one; shame because getting one after a break-in is too late (like some neighbours of mine did). I really don't understand why they won't; he just says he doesn't want to live in a prison or something like that but they could still set it when they are out surely?
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 31st Aug 17, 9:58 AM
    • 3,679 Posts
    • 3,977 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    I always set it for downstairs at night so if anyone does break in I get plenty of warning before I wake to find them standing over me in the bedroom!
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    That is what I do too. You don't have to confront the burglars if it goes off at night and they don't run, but at least you get some warning.

I also have a lock like this:

https://www.locksonline.co.uk/TEMPLOCK.html

on my bedroom door so no-one can get in without kicking down the door as I used to occasionally have dreams about someone entering my bedroom when I was asleep which have now stopped.
    Last edited by SuzieSue; 31-08-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    • matt1987
    • By matt1987 31st Aug 17, 10:51 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    matt1987
    Thanks for all your replies since yesterday.

So yes, I do wish I had installed an alarm - its one of those things that you kind of always want to do, but never get round to doing it - same with CCTV.

Anyway, due to the cars being replaced like for like we are now identifying where we can improve on home security - as this incident has really affected us.

Burglar alarm being installed tomorrow with pet friendly sensors and door contact alarms.

CCTV being installed next month

2 security lights being installed next month

Anti snap locks being fitted on all doors today

Driveway post being fitted the weekend.

Steering locks being purchased for new vehicles.

Indoor cctv camera already installed.

To say that we have spent a fortune is an understatement - it was our wedding gift money that we have had to use but its something that we feel we need to do now to feel safe in our own home. A baseball bat will also be purchased.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 31st Aug 17, 11:19 AM
    • 3,679 Posts
    • 3,977 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    Thanks for all your replies since yesterday.

So yes, I do wish I had installed an alarm - its one of those things that you kind of always want to do, but never get round to doing it - same with CCTV.

Anyway, due to the cars being replaced like for like we are now identifying where we can improve on home security - as this incident has really affected us.

Burglar alarm being installed tomorrow with pet friendly sensors and door contact alarms.

CCTV being installed next month

2 security lights being installed next month

Anti snap locks being fitted on all doors today

Driveway post being fitted the weekend.

Steering locks being purchased for new vehicles.

Indoor cctv camera already installed.

To say that we have spent a fortune is an understatement - it was our wedding gift money that we have had to use but its something that we feel we need to do now to feel safe in our own home. A baseball bat will also be purchased.
    Originally posted by matt1987
    Wow. But I can't say I blame you.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 31st Aug 17, 11:37 AM
    • 831 Posts
    • 1,674 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    We have locks on all our downstairs internal doors which are locked each night. If burglars came via the back they could not get into the central hallway or, more importantly, upstairs. From the front we have a Rocdoor and then a heavy locked internal porch door. We are insured and property matters less than trauma/injury so as long as they leave us alone that is all we care about.
    • matt1987
    • By matt1987 31st Aug 17, 12:25 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    matt1987
    We have locks on all our downstairs internal doors which are locked each night. If burglars came via the back they could not get into the central hallway or, more importantly, upstairs. From the front we have a Rocdoor and then a heavy locked internal porch door. We are insured and property matters less than trauma/injury so as long as they leave us alone that is all we care about.
    Originally posted by happyandcontented
    Thats a good idea - I might invest in some bolts for the internal doors too!
    • matt1987
    • By matt1987 10th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    matt1987
    Bit of an update -

The insurers have ordered us a new Audi and we signed the form on Friday to say that we will accept this as full and final settlement of the claim. New car was on the boat last week and is due to arrive in the next 7-10 days.

Mini is the same, although we havent signed any forms for that yet as it was still under discussion as to which dealership to go with due to pricing, but my local has a vehicle in stock which would be ready for next week - hopefully we will have at least 1 car between us both next week!

However, I had a phone call this morning from the police stating that the Audi had been recovered with considerable front end damage - its still an ongoing incident however no one has been arrested yet (driver managed to be taken from the vehicle by others and whisked away). Will this now affect the claim considering we have signed forms for the new one accepting the new car as full and final settlement?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 10th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 32,697 Posts
    • 27,413 Thanks
    custardy
    Bit of an update -

The insurers have ordered us a new Audi and we signed the form on Friday to say that we will accept this as full and final settlement of the claim. New car was on the boat last week and is due to arrive in the next 7-10 days.

Mini is the same, although we havent signed any forms for that yet as it was still under discussion as to which dealership to go with due to pricing, but my local has a vehicle in stock which would be ready for next week - hopefully we will have at least 1 car between us both next week!

However, I had a phone call this morning from the police stating that the Audi had been recovered with considerable front end damage - its still an ongoing incident however no one has been arrested yet (driver managed to be taken from the vehicle by others and whisked away). Will this now affect the claim considering we have signed forms for the new one accepting the new car as full and final settlement?
    Originally posted by matt1987
    Doubt it.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,205Posts Today

6,369Users online

Martin's Twitter