Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ThreeLions
    • By ThreeLions 21st Aug 17, 11:01 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 7Thanks
    ThreeLions
    British gas collective to standard oct 2017
    • 21st Aug 17, 11:01 AM
    British gas collective to standard oct 2017 21st Aug 17 at 11:01 AM
    Hi everyone

I know it's a bit late for 2017 now we've all come off the Britsh Gas Collective Tariff but how many would we need to do one in 2018?

This last one was fantastic from Martin but I know all good things have to come to an end and the great fuel rip off to start again

Until I got my letter this morning I forgot all about it.
    Last edited by ThreeLions; 21-08-2017 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Trying to delete
Page 2
  • British Gas Rep Matt
    Thank you Hengus and gsminx. I have just phoned them again and once I quoted "An Ofgem spokesperson said: "Energy suppliers are obliged to waive any termination fees for domestic customers wishing to switch supplier in the period of 49 days before their fixed deal comes to an end." from the link supplied by gsmix they have confirmed that we are free to leave with no exit fees. We have had the standard 'your tariff is ending' notification. So, off to join together energy through topcashback as they are our best supplier and might as well get a little back ;-)
    Originally posted by mcaussieuk
    Hi mcaussieuk, I'm disappointed to hear about your experience as it's something all advisors should've been aware about.
    Just to confirm that as you've found from your own investigations there aren't any fees charged if you switch suppliers in the last 49 days of any fixed deal. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Unicorn cottage
    • By Unicorn cottage 31st Aug 17, 6:17 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Unicorn cottage
    Hi Hengus and Pedro

I attempted to do a comparison search using the information from my British Gas email.

Uswitch said I was on the following:

MSE Collective Fix October 2017

Electricity
    Unit rate: 9.180p per kWh
    Standing charge: £75.81/yr

Gas
    Unit rate: 2.710p per kWh
    Standing charge: £75.81/yr
    all rates exc. VAT

But my email says different:

Gas = 2.85p per kWh (inc VAT)
    Electricity = 9.64p per kWh

Am SO confused!
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 31st Aug 17, 8:49 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @Unicorn

The difference is the VAT is included in the email BUT not at uSwitch
    so
    9.18 +VAT = 9.639p which rounds up to 9.64p
    2.71 +VAT = 2.8455p which rounds up to 2.85p

VAT is 5% for domestic fuel
    • singhini
    • By singhini 31st Aug 17, 11:24 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    singhini
    Hi

I'm in the same situation. The thing is I have, and would like to retain, a smart meter.

My meter is situated in a gully at the front of the property; which is difficult for me to access as I have arthritis. Previous suppliers said they would send meter readers out; but frequently didn't. And sometimes the meter readers would just walk away rather than faff around and I'd end up with estimated readings. The smart meter has been real boon for me.

I live in North Essex and wonder how many other suppliers are in a position to offer their own smart meters and how does one find out?

Its absolutely insane that the government didn't stipulate that smart meters should operate with all suppliers.
    Originally posted by Digital Dan

Hi Digital Dan
    ive just read your post and not sure if this link might help you

its a link i found on the internet and it suggests help is available form British Gas for some groups of people such as those of pensionable age, disabled, chronically sick or on means tested benefits with children under 5. i think they provide financial assistance (it might help to cussion the blow of any price incraese if you decide to stay wiith them) [if appiciable to your circumstances] https://www.britishgas.co.uk/aem6/content/dam/britishgas/downloads/code-of-practice/ways-we-can-help-at-british-gas.pdf

Might be worth a read?
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 1st Sep 17, 7:28 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Hi Digital Dan
    ive just read your post and not sure if this link might help you

its a link i found on the internet and it suggests help is available form British Gas for some groups of people such as those of pensionable age, disabled, chronically sick or on means tested benefits with children under 5. i think they provide financial assistance (it might help to cussion the blow of any price incraese if you decide to stay wiith them) [if appiciable to your circumstances] https://www.britishgas.co.uk/aem6/content/dam/britishgas/downloads/code-of-practice/ways-we-can-help-at-british-gas.pdf

Might be worth a read?
    Originally posted by singhini

Help is also available from some other suppliers. It's worth checking before you switch.

British Gas still haven't as yet, opened their Warm Home Discount Scheme, due to open in the Autumn.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • Unicorn cottage
    • By Unicorn cottage 1st Sep 17, 8:27 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Unicorn cottage
    @gsmlnx - thanks so much your response! Makes sense now
  • British Gas Rep Matt
    Hi

I'm in the same situation. The thing is I have, and would like to retain, a smart meter.

Originally posted by Digital Dan
    Hi Digital Dan, I understand it's frustrating to lose some of the smart meter functions. The technology is still relatively new and we're working to improve how they work all the time; so in the future they continue to function fully when you switch between suppliers.

As others have suggested' depending on your circumstances you may qualify for further help and can find out more about the Warm Homes Discount Scheme online at https://www.britishgas.co.uk/energy/energy-saving/warm-home-discount.html, which will be open for application a little later in September.

I'd also recommend you get in touch with the British Gas Energy Trust to see if there's any support they can offer you. You can find out more about them & apply for grants online at http://www.britishgasenergytrust.org.uk/

In the meantime you can find out more about getting smart meters online at https://www.smartenergygb.org/en. Thanks, Matt
    Last edited by British Gas Rep Matt; 01-09-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • wolfplayer
    • By wolfplayer 12th Sep 17, 3:33 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    wolfplayer
    Thanks to MSE Cheap Energy Club.

On the October Collective 16-17 12 Month Fix due to end soon.

Saved my family a fair chunk of money past 12 months vs standard rate. Grateful. Very grateful.

Got a bit of 'future payment shock' vs my current rate with British Gas Collective Fix vs rates of today. Just about to begin considering my options.
    • mikeyorkie10
    • By mikeyorkie10 18th Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mikeyorkie10
    Thanks to MSE Cheap Energy Club.

On the October Collective 16-17 12 Month Fix due to end soon.

Saved my family a fair chunk of money past 12 months vs standard rate. Grateful. Very grateful.

Got a bit of 'future payment shock' vs my current rate with British Gas Collective Fix vs rates of today. Just about to begin considering my options.
    Originally posted by wolfplayer
    I went with TogetherEnergy, not paying much more than last year - about £10 per month.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,985Posts Today

8,272Users online

Martin's Twitter