Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zedmoss
    • By Zedmoss 20th Aug 17, 10:43 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Zedmoss
    Ppi claim before 2005
    • 20th Aug 17, 10:43 PM
    Ppi claim before 2005 20th Aug 17 at 10:43 PM
    Hi
    I have successfully reclaimed some of my ppi's however 3 of my claims weren't progressed by the claims company I used as the ppi was sold before 14th Jan 2005. These 3 companies were not subject to the FOS for general insurance activity until after this date. One claim is with littlewoods, who I know I had ppi with despite being unemployed and unaware if having it. Does anyone know if I can still claim for this? (the account will have been taken out around 1997 and was closed in 2005/2006) thanks
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 20th Aug 17, 11:03 PM
    • 89,602 Posts
    • 56,084 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 20th Aug 17, 11:03 PM
    • 20th Aug 17, 11:03 PM
    14th January 2005 was when insurance became regulated. Companies that were not regulated prior to that date do not have to consider complaints made about PPI. That is why the CMC isnt taking on complaints about them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Zedmoss
    • By Zedmoss 21st Aug 17, 10:20 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zedmoss
    • 21st Aug 17, 10:20 AM
    • 21st Aug 17, 10:20 AM
    Thanks, is it not worth pursuing then?
    • Borgie1234
    • By Borgie1234 21st Aug 17, 2:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Borgie1234
    • 21st Aug 17, 2:13 PM
    • 21st Aug 17, 2:13 PM
    Hi I had 2 loans with Marks and Spencer in the 1990s - I didn't have much detail but they have said they know the policy numbers and that one of the loans had PPI and one did not - however they say they have no idea how much PPI I paid so cant help me - yet they knew all the details of the loans the dates the account numbers etc. Should I SAR them ?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 21st Aug 17, 2:56 PM
    • 14,152 Posts
    • 14,842 Thanks
    zx81
    • 21st Aug 17, 2:56 PM
    • 21st Aug 17, 2:56 PM
    If you want to gamble £10, yes.
    • sun73
    • By sun73 23rd Aug 17, 8:31 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    sun73
    • 23rd Aug 17, 8:31 PM
    PPI before 2005
    • 23rd Aug 17, 8:31 PM
    Thanks, is it not worth pursuing then?
    Originally posted by Zedmoss
    You could find out who the policy underwriter was and refer your complaint to them because that business may have been regulated before 2005 and fall under FOS jurisdiction.
    • sun73
    • By sun73 23rd Aug 17, 8:37 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    sun73
    • 23rd Aug 17, 8:37 PM
    PPI before 2005
    • 23rd Aug 17, 8:37 PM
    Hi I had 2 loans with Marks and Spencer in the 1990s - I didn't have much detail but they have said they know the policy numbers and that one of the loans had PPI and one did not - however they say they have no idea how much PPI I paid so cant help me - yet they knew all the details of the loans the dates the account numbers etc. Should I SAR them ?
    Originally posted by Borgie1234
    Send the SAR and see what it produces. What will help is proof of payment e.g. bank statements showing the start and end date of the M&S loan if you paid by direct debit.
    • ernievan
    • By ernievan 30th Aug 17, 10:16 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ernievan
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:16 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:16 PM
    Hi,
    i also need some help regarding ppi, before 2005, please.
    1/ homeloan,
    2/ personal loan.
    Both with halifax bank.
    Can i reclaim from them.
    I do not have any information though.
    I closed an account i had with them in 2015
    and only have the old account number
    thanks
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 30th Aug 17, 10:35 PM
    • 89,602 Posts
    • 56,084 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:35 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:35 PM
    Hi,
    i also need some help regarding ppi, before 2005, please.
    1/ homeloan,
    2/ personal loan.
    Both with halifax bank.
    Can i reclaim from them.
    I do not have any information though.
    I closed an account i had with them in 2015
    and only have the old account number
    thanks
    Originally posted by ernievan
    Banks are different to many firms in that they were members of an earlier body and the regulator considers that continuation. So, the 2005 regulation of insurance does not apply to them (the banks werent happy about that and it went to court and they lost)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 30th Aug 17, 10:51 PM
    • 35,654 Posts
    • 45,898 Thanks
    McKneff
    You don't reclaim.
    You make a complaint and provide evidence to back up your complaint.
    You don't get it back just because you paid it
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • ernievan
    • By ernievan 31st Aug 17, 8:53 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ernievan
    Thanks everyone.
    The only information I have about my dealings with the bank, is the now closed account.
    If I complete the forms from the website.
    What other evidence can I provide ? ?
    Long story, had mental problems and , and did not keep any correspondence.
    BUT, a letter with what I know.
    Is that sufficient ?
    • sun73
    • By sun73 1st Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    sun73
    As you only closed an account in 2015, there's a strong possibility that Halifax may still hold information about these loans. What you can do is contact their PPI helpline and request a search/lodge a complaint, details on the the website. If your other loan was unsecured then you can probably use single, upfront premium as a reason the PPI was mis-sold.
    • ernievan
    • By ernievan 5th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ernievan
    Thanks so much "sun73". The personal loan was secured with PPI. When I stopped working, and wanted to lay a claim, The bank then said, I can not claim, because I do not fit the then criteria to claim for payment from PPI, to settle the loan I had with them. That was one of the reasons my "mental" state also got worse. . I will send in a search/lodge a complain with them
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 5th Sep 17, 4:17 PM
    • 89,602 Posts
    • 56,084 Thanks
    dunstonh
    The bank then said, I can not claim, because I do not fit the then criteria to claim for payment from PPI
    Are they saying you do not have to consider your complaint because it is pre-regulation or are they considering your complaint and rejecting it?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    • 18,751 Posts
    • 9,995 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    When I stopped working, and wanted to lay a claim, The bank then said, I can not claim, because I do not fit the then criteria to claim for payment from PPI,
    Are they saying you do not have to consider your complaint because it is pre-regulation or are they considering your complaint and rejecting it?
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    You only quoted part of the OP's post, Dunston. I think the remainder clearly shows the OP as trying and failing to make a claim on the insurance, not making a complaint and being rejected.
    • ernievan
    • By ernievan 6th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ernievan
    To clarify. In 2007, when I initially wanted to use the PPI I had taken out with the bank. To repay the loan I had. After losing my work. The bank clerk, or person I spoke to, rejected my then application to make use of the PPI, I took out. To repay the loan. I was told that my criteria to make a claim was not valid.
    Thanks so much for the input.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 6th Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    • 18,751 Posts
    • 9,995 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I was told that my criteria to make a claim was not valid.
    But what "criteria" exactly was not met?

Note that PPI did not pay out immediately on becoming unemployed; there would have been a qualifying period.

Also realise that if you were dismissed from your employment or left voluntarily then the PPI would not pay out either.

If any of the above reasons apply to you then that does not indicate mis-selling, I'm afraid.

Only if the PPI was useless to you because of a pre-existing medical condition or the insurance didn't cover you as self employed etc should you use this as part of any complaint.

You would also be wise not to allege a correlation between the PPI being refused and the onset of any mental illness you may have suffered.
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 06-09-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    • ernievan
    • By ernievan 7th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ernievan
    Thanks for the advice. I was sold PPI, being self employed, but working for a company. When I lost the work I was doing. , For 2 years after that, I was not employed, and that was the time of going to the bank, to find out about PPI.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 7th Sep 17, 11:46 AM
    • 18,751 Posts
    • 9,995 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Thanks for the advice. I was sold PPI, being self employed, but working for a company. When I lost the work I was doing. , For 2 years after that, I was not employed, and that was the time of going to the bank, to find out about PPI.
    So why did they decline your claim? If you don't tell us this, no one can help you further...
    • ernievan
    • By ernievan 8th Sep 17, 5:26 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ernievan
    I have no idea why I was turned away. I walked into a local branch of the bank. Spoke to a gentleman, and explained my situation. He wrote everything down. Left me for a while to discus with someone else. Then came back to me, and told me. He is sorry, I do not fit the criteria for making a claim against the PPI Policy I took out. And there is nothing they can do to help me. I have to continue to make payments on the loan I had taken out. More than that, I can not tell you. I did not pursue the matter, as by that time, my mental state was not good. And I left everything as was.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,899Posts Today

8,988Users online

Martin's Twitter