Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 20th Aug 17, 6:51 AM
    • 6,418Posts
    • 19,310Thanks
    Doc N
    0 WOW
    Thousands at risk of pig virus from ‘Supermarket X’ sausages (now revealed as Tesco)
    • 20th Aug 17, 6:51 AM
    0 WOW
    Thousands at risk of pig virus from ‘Supermarket X’ sausages (now revealed as Tesco) 20th Aug 17 at 6:51 AM
    From today's Sunday Times:

"A leading British supermarket may unwittingly have infected thousands of people with a pig virus that causes liver cirrhosis and neurological damage, say researchers at Public Health England.

Hepatitis E (HEV) is transmitted by sausages and pork products from Europe, mainly Holland and Germany. UK pigs do not have the virus strain in question.

Scientists at PHE, a government agency, have traced the shopping habits of infected people and found that a common factor is consumption of own-brand sausages from “Supermarket X”.

PHE and the Food Standards Agency (FSA) have refused to name Supermarket X but two separate sources said it was Tesco.

Two previous PHE studies going back to 2011 also pointed at Supermarket X’s pork products as a key source of the virus......."

Anybody have any further information as to which supermarket? Seems ridiculous that the FSA is refusing to name the supermarket.
Page 2
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 27th Aug 17, 7:31 PM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 6,551 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I buy my bangers from Dobbies and they are Gloucester old spot with cost a good deal more but are much nicer than mass produced stuff from supermarkets and they buy locally sourced as much as possible to their store. Failing that I will buy from my local butcher who is also a local bought chap and has won awards for his snorkers

I don't like mass produced sausages and I try not to buy with less than 90% pork content and would rather have one or at most two good ones than a plateful of those anaemic looking things from the big supermarkets
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Both Morriosn's and Waitrose top-end sausages are made with British pork and are very good. I agree that the run of the mill supermarket types are distinctly dodgy. I'm never surprised when products like that turn out to have problems - they are clearly made down to a price.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 29th Aug 17, 4:45 PM
    • 12,264 Posts
    • 11,548 Thanks
    jenniewb
    Both Morriosn's and Waitrose top-end sausages are made with British pork and are very good. I agree that the run of the mill supermarket types are distinctly dodgy. I'm never surprised when products like that turn out to have problems - they are clearly made down to a price.
    Originally posted by A. Badger

Though I agree, it's hardly a suprize, it should never be the case that people are put at risk to such a degree as things like hepatitis's nor should be sold anything other than what the label reads.
    I hope both trading standards and the UK government actually do something about this rather than as it seems to be; letting it go and giving an almost green light for the same or similar to carry on (read: Horse-Meat-Scandal)
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 29th Aug 17, 8:00 PM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 6,551 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Though I agree, it's hardly a suprize, it should never be the case that people are put at risk to such a degree as things like hepatitis's nor should be sold anything other than what the label reads.
    I hope both trading standards and the UK government actually do something about this rather than as it seems to be; letting it go and giving an almost green light for the same or similar to carry on (read: Horse-Meat-Scandal)
    Originally posted by jenniewb
    I agree with you entirely, The horsemeat scandal was a good example of how government allows big companies to get away with this dangerous nonsense. The current Fipronil scare over imported eggs is another. So much for all the idiocy about the safeguards of EU standards!
    • purpleroad
    • By purpleroad 2nd Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    purpleroad
    Can you get tested for it?

Was 'cooked' ham effected?

If sausages thoroughly cooked, are they ok?
    • purpleroad
    • By purpleroad 4th Oct 17, 11:13 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    purpleroad
    Any answers to the questions above?
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 5th Oct 17, 6:07 AM
    • 6,418 Posts
    • 19,310 Thanks
    Doc N
    Originally posted by purpleroad
    Not really - but since then we've now learned that chicken 'returned' by Lidl has been repackaged, redated and gone back out again with Tesco packaging!

I stopped buying meat at Tesco a long time ago (and their fish looks equally unappetising) - nothing I ever read persuades me to go back again.

"Tesco has said it made a mistake when it described chicken sold under its Willow Farm brand as “reared exclusively” for the supermarket chain, after undercover footage of a processing plant showed packs of drumsticks returned by Lidl being repackaged as Willow Farm products.

The UK’s biggest retailer has removed the claim that Willow Farm chicken is “reared exclusively for Tesco” from its website after film obtained as part of a Guardian and ITV News investigation into poultry giant 2 Sisters Food Group (2SFG) showed packs of Lidl drumsticks being opened and emptied back on to the production line. The drumsticks then re-emerged at the end of the line, repackaged with Willow Farm labels and destined for Tesco’s shelves."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/sep/29/tesco-admits-error-over-repackaging-of-returned-lidl-chicken
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 5th Oct 17, 6:34 AM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 19,637 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Wikipedia doesn't answer the test/fix situation but is moderately reassuring, unless you were pregnant. Where the usual battery of tests would probably pick it up but I don't know what the treatment might do to an embryo etc.

+1 for The Grocer as a reliable source, BTW.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    • 18,582 Posts
    • 47,836 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Can you get tested for it?

Was 'cooked' ham effected?

If sausages thoroughly cooked, are they ok?
    Have you read the article in the first link in post #18?

It mentions 'imported pork'.
    Tesco say the sausages on sale at the time of the research were from UK pork and continue to be today.

I don't know about ham but if you do some research you'll probably find the answer to your question.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 5th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 6,418 Posts
    • 19,310 Thanks
    Doc N

Tesco say the sausages on sale at the time of the research were from UK pork and continue to be today.

I don't know about ham but if you do some research you'll probably find the answer to your question.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I suppose that depends how much you trust Tesco to tell the truth - and its track record doesn't inspire any confidence at all on that. See a couple of posts up, for example:

"Tesco has said it made a mistake when it described chicken sold under its Willow Farm brand as “reared exclusively” for the supermarket chain, after undercover footage of a processing plant showed packs of drumsticks returned by Lidl being repackaged as Willow Farm products."

and many more instances of Tesco 'mistakes'.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 18,582 Posts
    • 47,836 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I suppose that depends how much you trust Tesco to tell the truth - and its track record doesn't inspire any confidence at all on that. See a couple of posts up, for example:

"Tesco has said it made a mistake when it described chicken sold under its Willow Farm brand as “reared exclusively” for the supermarket chain, after undercover footage of a processing plant showed packs of drumsticks returned by Lidl being repackaged as Willow Farm products."

and many more instances of Tesco 'mistakes'.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Must be scary in your conspiracy theory world.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 5th Oct 17, 10:45 PM
    • 6,418 Posts
    • 19,310 Thanks
    Doc N
    Must be scary in your conspiracy theory world.
    Not remotely. But then I've never really seen the Food Standards Agency as big on conspiracy theory either - any more than Tesco is big on feeding its customers with the truth about its products.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Oct 17, 6:44 AM
    • 18,582 Posts
    • 47,836 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Not remotely. But then I've never really seen the Food Standards Agency as big on conspiracy theory either - any more than Tesco is big on feeding its customers with the truth about its products.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    I guess it depends how much you believe Tesco are telling the truth.

I didn't say I believed what Tesco were saying.
    I just pointed out what the article said.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin