Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 18th Aug 17, 3:34 PM
    • 190Posts
    • 183Thanks
    Teapot55
    Windows 10: Tips for Non-Techies
    • 18th Aug 17, 3:34 PM
    Windows 10: Tips for Non-Techies 18th Aug 17 at 3:34 PM
    (This is an offshoot of babelfish's thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5696236 asking for advice on helping a 50-something relative with a new laptop that will probably have Windows 10).

I'm just going to post one tip at a time (mainly as I remember them from when I first started seriously using Windows 10 a few months back).

Here's my first tip for making the writing bigger
    • get your mouse and right-click (press the right-hand button) in the middle of your 'desktop' (the first screen that comes up when you put the computer on)
    • this will open up a small 'menu'
    • click (use left-hand button on the mouse) on 'Display settings'
    • in the middle of the window that comes up is a blue line with a blue 'slider' button on it
    • drag the slider to the right a bit (click on the slider and keep the mouse button pressed down while you move the mouse to the right)
    • close the window (click on the 'X' top right)
    Please do post your tips as well, peeps, but please keep it simple
    • no acronyms (so no BBC, ITV or rofl).
    • no long words or technical terms (unless you say what they mean in brackets)
    • do say what your computer is (for example, mine is a Lenovo desktop computer with Windows 10 Home)
    • do say if one of the tips does or doesn't work on your computer
Page 3
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 30th Aug 17, 11:42 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 1,435 Thanks
    RumRat
    Top Tips:

1. Power Computer on and download Firefox or Chrome. Stop using EDGE.

2. Use your new browser to download and install Classic shell.

3. Download and install 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.

4. Probably too late but when first running windows 10 create a local account not a MS account.

Spend hours making win 10 look and feel like windows 7
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    These are not W10 tips....They are opinions...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 31st Aug 17, 11:37 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Teapot55
    Here's another little 'trick' I use on my Windows 10:

When I type @ I get "

To solve this, I hold the Windows key down and while it is down, I press the space bar once. A small 'dialogue box' appears and 'English (United Kingdom) United Kingdom Keyboard' is highlighted in blue.

As I have to do this every day there is probably a permanent fix . . . suggestions please?
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 31st Aug 17, 1:00 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 1,435 Thanks
    RumRat
    If the UK keyboard is highlighted then that's the layout you should have....
    Check here though.....
    Start menu - settings - Time and language - Region and language - Make sure United Kingdom is selected. If not, drop box and select......
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 31st Aug 17, 4:50 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Teapot55
    If the UK keyboard is highlighted then that's the layout you should have....
    Check here though.....
    Start menu - settings - Time and language - Region and language - Make sure United Kingdom is selected. If not, drop box and select......
    Originally posted by RumRat
    I followed your very clear instructions above and found that I had 'installed' the UK English Language pack but had not opted to have it as the default language.

If it is still working tomorrow (too busy to close computer at mo) I will let you know with a big

Thanks again
    TP55
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 5th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Teapot55
    Problems finding the @ on the keyboard
    I followed your very clear instructions above and found that I had 'installed' the UK English Language pack but had not opted to have it as the default language.

If it is still working tomorrow (too busy to close computer at mo) I will let you know with a big

Thanks again
    TP55
    Originally posted by Teapot55
    Yes, it worked! Problem solved.

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 2nd Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Teapot55
    Here's another tip for when using Windows 10 - it was something I used to do with older versions of Windows - but it still works a treat - to get back to your beginning/'desktop' page, click with your mouse in the very bottom right-hand corner of the screen - just to the right of the thin white line. Then click again (it's called a 'toggle' control when you do the same thing to reverse the action) to go back to what you were looking at before.

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 2nd Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 26,200 Posts
    • 10,454 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Thats the show desktop button, been there since windows 7. But in windows 10 they made it a silly size.

Mines now much bigger thanks to 7tweaker.

Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 2nd Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    It's smaller in Windows 10 because of the presence of multiple desktops which does the same sort of job only in a more clumsy way.

Maybe I'm too old school and used to ALT+TAB but I just can't see the appeal of multiple desktops...
    • Jivesinger
    • By Jivesinger 3rd Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    Jivesinger
    As my Asus win10 laptop is to be returned home today repaired.
    Is it possible to create a usbwin10 recovery+add files to usbdrive to use storage capacity.
    Scandisk. 32gb usb drive.
    Originally posted by Dandytf
    I'd suggest you ask that question on another thread.
    This thread is intended to be a collection of Windows 10 hints & tips for non-techie folk.
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 3rd Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Teapot55
    Thats the show desktop button, been there since windows 7. But in windows 10 they made it a silly size.

Mines now much bigger thanks to 7tweaker.

Originally posted by forgotmyname
    How do you get 7tweaker?

(Doesn't it make your taskbar too deep though & use up too much space?)
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 3rd Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Teapot55
    It's smaller in Windows 10 because of the presence of multiple desktops which does the same sort of job only in a more clumsy way.

Maybe I'm too old school and used to ALT+TAB but I just can't see the appeal of multiple desktops...
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Oh dear. I just tried ALT+TAB ('cause I too love keyboard shortcuts) and it didn't work.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 3rd Oct 17, 4:21 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    Dandytf
    I'd suggest you ask that question on another thread.
    This thread is intended to be a collection of Windows 10 hints & tips for non-techie folk.
    Originally posted by Jivesinger
    Deleted+moved-Win 10 recovery mode thread.
    sc dmp 2012 13k

Jan 2018 8759 paid. 60% ish...
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 3rd Oct 17, 4:30 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    hans 2
    Oh dear. I just tried ALT+TAB ('cause I too love keyboard shortcuts) and it didn't work.
    Originally posted by Teapot55
    Windows logo key + D
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 3rd Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    • 37,841 Posts
    • 34,235 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    The first time you log into a new computer, as soon as you've got to the normal desktop screen, just walk away, and leave the computer switched on for a while before you do very much.

Windows 10 does a lot to sort itself out, rebuild search indexes etc. in the background, and if you leave it to its own devices for a while I find it's more pleasant to use later.

The same applies just after a major update (the ones where you get a blank screen with the word 'Hi' in the middle, which are actually a version upgrade).
    Originally posted by Jivesinger
    We bought me a new laptop yesterday, and I made DH (a Linux fan) watch the setup screens. As the accidental techie at work, I am no longer able to muster the required levels of excitement ... so was he!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 4th Oct 17, 8:29 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Teapot55
    Windows logo key + D
    Originally posted by hans 2
    Neat. Got me back to desktop without use of mouse.

And you do it again ('toggle') to get back again to what you were doing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,475Users online

Martin's Twitter