Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • OohSoHolly
    • By OohSoHolly 18th Aug 17, 1:30 PM
    • 320Posts
    • 158Thanks
    OohSoHolly
    Family Function Post-Wedding
    • 18th Aug 17, 1:30 PM
    Family Function Post-Wedding 18th Aug 17 at 1:30 PM
    Hello Everyone,

I wonder if you can assist as I've hit a bit of a dead end. My partner and I have been engaged for three years now and having bought our first home started thinking about getting married. It sounds awful but when we've looked at our finances we are struggling to do the whole big day thing if we want a honeymoon and selfishly decided we'd love to elope abroad while enjoying a fantastic holiday of our choice. There are some other reasons for this which are personal; I've lost one parent and my partners are separated so the idea of a white wedding and big day left me along time ago when I went through those things.

However we really like the idea of having a post-wedding party for close friends and family to celebrate our wedding. I've been looking for venues with catering however they are all wedding packages or just restaurants which wouldn't allow the mingling and disco afterwards. I just wondered if anyone had done anything similar and could offer some advice (also how well I went down with the family).

We are located in the North West so ideally looking around this area.

Thanks in Advance

X
    [I'm Here to Money Save... Are you?]
Page 1
    • 7roland8
    • By 7roland8 20th Aug 17, 2:52 PM
    • 3,562 Posts
    • 6,818 Thanks
    7roland8
    • 20th Aug 17, 2:52 PM
    • 20th Aug 17, 2:52 PM
    I'm sure local hotels can in effect just put on a party and buffet for you - just the same as if it was a birthday or engagement party.
    If you mention 'wedding' they will think you want the whole show. They would also have room for the disco etc. You can always supply your own decorations if you wanted to - nothing too costly.
    A great idea.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 24th Aug 17, 7:20 AM
    • 3,204 Posts
    • 8,859 Thanks
    nimbo
    • 24th Aug 17, 7:20 AM
    • 24th Aug 17, 7:20 AM
    Hire a village hall with kitchen and caterers separately ?

Or do your own buffet? Tell people bring a bottle. Provide beer and maybe wine (or whatever) for a basic free bar. Or get a bar to come and set up fro the night - or buy barrels of real ale. Etc.

Hire a dj? Don't tell them it's wedding ?

We're looking at local villages with pretty halls and are considering this.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 3 / 500
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 1st Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    • 9,348 Posts
    • 17,789 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 1st Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    We got married last November for dirt cheap. We rented a top room of a bar for £80, provided a dj who we knew @ £150 but they could give us one for £100, and food was starter and mani (off the pub menu) at £12 a head. I made all the decorations by hand (topped up with very cheap additions) and decorated the room the day before with a crew of volunteers. It was such a memorable night and cost us £150, £80 plus 36 people @£12 a head (including the band and photographer) £432 so that's £662 all in. When you mention wedding the prices change ..... can you price it as a "family celebration" , then take it from there? I guess it all depends on the type of people you are as to what you choose. Our theme was skulls and comic books, so we're pretty quirky and it was very unconventional. In an ideal world I would have asked people to bring a dish but we couldn't find the right venue for that. We didn't provide buffet or drinks and didn't hear one word of complaint.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• suejb2
    • By suejb2 1st Sep 17, 3:51 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    suejb2
    • 1st Sep 17, 3:51 PM
    party
    • 1st Sep 17, 3:51 PM
    Arrange a "party", as soon as you mention Wedding the cost escalates! Hire somewhere that allows your own catering,not necessarily to do it yourself, though that will be cheaper,but allows you to shop around. I've been to a few doos where pie and peas were supplied.
    Personally We used Bury F.C at Gigg Lane for our reception for a few hundred, there are rooms above pubs or bars for less people.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 8th Sep 17, 8:10 PM
    • 9,736 Posts
    • 23,269 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:10 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:10 PM
    we've recently done exactly this. We didn't want a big wedding or a lot of fuss, and family circumstances would have made it very difficult for us to relax and enjoy the day.

We decided to get married whilst on holiday in San Francisco. We had intended for this to be an elopement, but a few of our nearest and dearest caught wind of our plans and decided to gatecrash. Upon our return, we had a party at our IL's house for close family and friends to celebrate.

Do it your way. Make your own rules. We have had the most amazing summer and don't regret a thing.
    know thyself

MFW 2017 #22 - £5841.07 /£7,000 (83%)
    MFi3 v4 #29 target £75,000

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

631Posts Today

4,951Users online

Martin's Twitter