Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • richje100
    • By richje100 18th Aug 17, 10:56 AM
    • 42Posts
    • 3Thanks
    richje100
    What's the chances of compensation with Thomson delay?
    • 18th Aug 17, 10:56 AM
    What's the chances of compensation with Thomson delay? 18th Aug 17 at 10:56 AM
    Hi guys, after some advice.
    Flight home from Malaga to Cardiff was supposed to be at 9pm Malaga time. When we got to baggage check in a TUI rep told us there'd been an accident at Cardiff which meant the flight won't be leaving until around midnight and handed out €10 vouchers each for the 4 of us which was fine we accepted that these things happen.
    After we used the vouchers the flight boards said the expected departure was now 11:10 pm and gave us a boarding gate. Got through the last of passport checking to be joined by the rest of the flight (some180 of us).
    I knew we where coming back on the flight that was leaving Cardiff but until 10:30 it had only just left (should have been 4:20 uk time so they too were delayed).
    Eventually the plane arrives and at 2am (Malaga time )we are taxi'ing down the runway.
    Turns out a baggage truck had hit the plane and is now out of action as it couldn't be repaired in time so a spare plane was found.
    All in all we were delayed approx 5hrs.
    Reading the FAQ it seems it has to be the airlines fault. As it was the baggage guys are we likely to receive any compensation?
    What made it worse, not once did a TUI rep come to see us to explain that the time is wrong on the board or check in on us all. As we had all gone past the last passport check there was no return so we all had to put up with a vending machine for drinks/snacks.
    What also made me angry at the end of the flight they asked for donations to their charity yet we never even received a complimentary cup of tea/coffee and the only apology we had was from the pilot who explained what had happened.
    Sorry for the long post, I'm tired and starving lol.
    Last edited by richje100; 13-09-2017 at 9:58 PM.
Page 1
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 18th Aug 17, 11:46 AM
    • 984 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Tyzap
    • 18th Aug 17, 11:46 AM
    • 18th Aug 17, 11:46 AM
    Hi guys, after some advice.
    Flight home from Malaga to Cardiff was supposed to be at 9pm Malaga time. When we got to baggage check in a TUI rep told us there'd been an accident at Cardiff which meant the flight won't be leaving until around midnight and handed out €10 vouchers each for the 4 of us which was fine we accepted that these things happen.
    After we used the vouchers the flight boards said the expected departure was now 11:10 pm and gave us a boarding gate. Got through the last of passport checking to be joined by the rest of the flight (some180 of us).
    I knew we where coming back on the flight that was leaving Cardiff but until 10:30 it had only just left (should have been 4:20 uk time so they too were delayed).
    Eventually the plane arrives and at 2am (Malaga time )we are taxi'ing down the runway.
    Turns out a baggage truck had hit the plane and is now out of action as it couldn't be repaired in time so a spare plane was found.
    All in all we were delayed approx 5hrs.
    Reading the FAQ it seems it has to be the airlines fault. As it was the baggage guys are we likely to receive any compensation?
    What made it worse, not once did a TUI rep come to see us to explain that the time is wrong on the board or check in on us all. As we had all gone past the last passport check there was no return so we all had to put up with a vending machine for drinks/snacks.
    What also made me angry at the end of the flight they asked for donations to their charity yet we never even received a complimentary cup of tea/coffee and the only apology we had was from the pilot who explained what had happened.
    Sorry for the long post, I'm tired and starving lol.
    Originally posted by richje100
    Hi richje100,

Yes, you are due €400 each.

I was trapped at Malaga airport for 27 hours thanks to Jet2 so I know it well.

If you spent anything on food or none alcoholic drinks you could also claim that back if you have receipts.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 18th Aug 17, 12:11 PM
    • 3,080 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    JPears
    • 18th Aug 17, 12:11 PM
    • 18th Aug 17, 12:11 PM
    So the baggae truck hit your aircraft in Cardiff, before it left to pick you up?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • richje100
    • By richje100 20th Aug 17, 9:53 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    richje100
    • 20th Aug 17, 9:53 AM
    • 20th Aug 17, 9:53 AM
    So the baggae truck hit your aircraft in Cardiff, before it left to pick you up?
    Originally posted by JPears
    Yes. Apparently it's damaged the aircraft quite badly so it couldn't leave Cardiff.
    • richje100
    • By richje100 20th Aug 17, 9:56 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    richje100
    • 20th Aug 17, 9:56 AM
    • 20th Aug 17, 9:56 AM
    Hi richje100,

Yes, you are due €400 each.

I was trapped at Malaga airport for 27 hours thanks to Jet2 so I know it well.

If you spent anything on food or none alcoholic drinks you could also claim that back if you have receipts.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    Thanks for the reply. I've sent the claim off using the resolver tool on here. I'd imagine they'll receive claims from everyone affected including those stuck at Cardiff so it could take a while to get a response 😁.
    We did spend on food and drink but was nominal like €10 odd but no receipts as from a vending machine.
    • richje100
    • By richje100 22nd Aug 17, 7:42 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    richje100
    • 22nd Aug 17, 7:42 AM
    • 22nd Aug 17, 7:42 AM
    How long claims usually take to reach a decision?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 22nd Aug 17, 11:09 AM
    • 3,080 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    JPears
    • 22nd Aug 17, 11:09 AM
    • 22nd Aug 17, 11:09 AM
    Don't hold your breath. Ages is the norm.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • richje100
    • By richje100 13th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    richje100
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    I've been told on another forum that the chances of compensation is almost zero. What's your thoughts? In reality Thomson likely to say no?
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 13th Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    • 984 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Tyzap
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    I've been told on another forum that the chances of compensation is almost zero. What's your thoughts?
    Don't read the other forum.

In reality Thomson likely to say no?
    They probably will say no, thats just par for the course, but it doesn't mean that you are not due compensation.
    • richje100
    • By richje100 13th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    richje100
    They probably will say no, thats just par for the course, but it doesn't mean that you are not due compensation.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    Reading the extraordinary exceptions such as things outside of the airlines control I'm starting to have my doubts now ☹️
    I'm assuming this is outside of their control but I'm sure I read somewhere that they have to source a replacement flight in good time etc...
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 13th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    • 984 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Reading the extraordinary exceptions such as things outside of the airlines control I'm starting to have my doubts now ☹️
    I'm assuming this is outside of their control but I'm sure I read somewhere that they have to source a replacement flight in good time etc...
    An example...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72975432&postcount=1636
    • richje100
    • By richje100 13th Sep 17, 10:29 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    richje100
    Thank you, this is giving me some hope now 👍 Wish they'd hurry and respond lol.
    • richje100
    • By richje100 14th Sep 17, 1:32 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    richje100
    Ok, my missus has rung Thomson to check on the claim and they have no record of it. I used the resolver tool on here and I even had an acknowledgement reply but she was told there is nothing allocated or noted on their booking.
    • richje100
    • By richje100 19th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    richje100
    Update, cheque recieved for £1073 today. Although 4 of us on the booking one was a free child's place so it was 3 x €400. Happy with the speed they settled it just over a month.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 19th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 984 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Well done but one question did you pay anything towards your child flying, even though it was a free seat did you pay an admin fee or another fee for your child to fly. If yes then you are due €400 for your child.Don't let them get away with not paying if you are entitled.
    • richje100
    • By richje100 19th Sep 17, 7:11 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    richje100
    Well done but one question did you pay anything towards your child flying, even though it was a free seat did you pay an admin fee or another fee for your child to fly. If yes then you are due €400 for your child.Don't let them get away with not paying if you are entitled.
    Originally posted by Justice13075
    I can't see that we did mate.i did read about that as Thomas cook charges £1 sometimes but they have gotten away with paying out because it's discounted. What does bug me is that the prices go up when there's a free child place. I remember pricing up 2 adults with free child place then 2 adults and 2 kids (1 free) and the adult prices went up. Can I use this do u think or doesn't it count?
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 19th Sep 17, 11:49 PM
    • 984 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Good luck with that. Is there anything on your booking that links a payment to your child.
    • richje100
    • By richje100 20th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    richje100
    Good luck with that. Is there anything on your booking that links a payment to your child.
    Originally posted by Justice13075
    Nothing noticeable but I'll ring them this morning
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,279Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin