Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MunchkinMooncarSausage
    • By MunchkinMooncarSausage 18th Aug 17, 7:13 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MunchkinMooncarSausage
    How can I find out who my Mortgage was with?
    • 18th Aug 17, 7:13 AM
    How can I find out who my Mortgage was with? 18th Aug 17 at 7:13 AM
    I had a mortgage back in the 90's and wanted to contact them regarding PPI but do not have any paperwork. Is there anyway of finding out who my mortgage was with?
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 18th Aug 17, 8:34 AM
    • 89,460 Posts
    • 54,930 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 18th Aug 17, 8:34 AM
    • 18th Aug 17, 8:34 AM
    Is there anyway of finding out who my mortgage was with?
    Your land registry records will show who you had a mortgage with. It won't show any insurances that you may have taken out. Your bank statements will too.

Do remember, before you spend too much time or cost on this, that most MPPI complaints are rejected. And if you bought via a mortgage broker, estate agent or adviser (as most mortgages are) then stop now. They were not regulated until 2005.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Land Registry
    • 18th Aug 17, 8:40 AM
    • 18th Aug 17, 8:40 AM
    If the proeprty is in England and Wales and was registered in 1990 you cna contact us with the specific details and we can check our records and advise on how to apply for the details
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Chappers27
    • By Chappers27 18th Aug 17, 8:43 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Chappers27
    • 18th Aug 17, 8:43 AM
    • 18th Aug 17, 8:43 AM
    Look at your credit report?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 18th Aug 17, 9:02 AM
    • 89,460 Posts
    • 54,930 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 18th Aug 17, 9:02 AM
    • 18th Aug 17, 9:02 AM
    Look at your credit report?
    Originally posted by Chappers27
    They show a running 6 years. This mortgage was over 20 years ago.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Chappers27
    • By Chappers27 13th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Chappers27
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    They show a running 6 years. This mortgage was over 20 years ago.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Well there's a problem in the system. Why would they not keep records for longer than six years when a mortgage can last 25 years?

That literally makes NO sense.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Sep 17, 11:40 AM
    • 13,159 Posts
    • 13,473 Thanks
    zx81
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:40 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:40 AM
    Your mortgage will show for 6 years after you pay it off.

31 years isn't bad.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 89,460 Posts
    • 54,930 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    Why would they not keep records for longer than six years when a mortgage can last 25 years?

That literally makes NO sense.
    It makes perfect sense. it is called the data protection act.

Why would they keep records that are no longer needed? 6 years after the closure of the mortgage is plenty good enough.

Of course, for most people, knowing who the mortgage is with for a PPI complaint is a complete waste of time. Most mortgages in the UK are put in place via brokers, advisers and estate agents. The lender wouldnt know what insurances are in place.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Sep 17, 10:42 PM
    • 19,261 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:42 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:42 PM
    Why would they not keep records for longer than six years when a mortgage can last 25 years?
    Originally posted by Chappers27
    Of course they keep records while the finance is active, if they didn't they wouldn't know what was owed!

It is CLOSED accounts for which records are routinely disposed of six years after closure.

The OP of this thread, for instance, was enquiring about a mortgage he held in 1990's, not one he is still paying 25 years later!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

50Posts Today

2,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin