Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • investme
    • By investme 17th Aug 17, 2:12 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 16Thanks
    investme
    Wedding dress cancellation
    • 17th Aug 17, 2:12 PM
    Wedding dress cancellation 17th Aug 17 at 2:12 PM
    Hi all,

Hoping i might be able to get some advice.

I'm not sure I am going to have much chance, but worth an ask anyway. In short, I was engaged, now i'm not! We had made quite a few wedding plans and bookings and i'm now in the process of cancelling everything.

My ex fiancee had ordered a dress and paid 50% deposit around April. We split up a few weeks after this. She immediately phoned the bridal shop to cancel, and was told the deposit was non refundable and that she would have to also pay the other 50% on the arrival of the dress. She tried to argue that it was early on and could they not just cancel the order before the dress was made and they refused to do so.

Anyway, i had left it with her, but it's me who's going to have to cough up and they called me on Saturday to say the dress had arrived and that i now owe them the other 50%. The contract in fairness, does state it's non refundable when ordered, however given their refusal to help in the first instance before the dress had even been made, i'm highly reluctant to just hand over another £1200 for a dress I don't need.

I suspect i'm likely to be bound by the contract here, and they seem to have no goodwill at all, but if anyone has any advice, i'd appreciate it
Page 1
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 17th Aug 17, 2:23 PM
    • 5,090 Posts
    • 168,580 Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    • 17th Aug 17, 2:23 PM
    • 17th Aug 17, 2:23 PM
    Don't show up to collect it - surely it would be too expensive to take you to court over it?
    Weight on 01/08/15 - 17st 5lb
    Target weight - 10st
    Target reached - 20/05/17

Greatest Loser for SW group 2016 & 2017
    Woman of the year for SW group 2016 & 2017
    • investme
    • By investme 17th Aug 17, 2:29 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    investme
    • 17th Aug 17, 2:29 PM
    • 17th Aug 17, 2:29 PM
    I think it only costs £65 odd to raise a small claim and it's not worth getting a CCJ for
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 17th Aug 17, 3:08 PM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 56,791 Thanks
    LEJC
    • 17th Aug 17, 3:08 PM
    • 17th Aug 17, 3:08 PM
    You could always enquire if the shop would be willing to try and resell the dress on your behalf...it still means you perhaps needing to buy it but you may be able to get most of your money back on it if someone else purchases it from the shop.

Once you take the dress away it loses lots of it value and the potential resale avenues become ebay and the like...but if the dress were to be sold by the shop that commissioned it then it may not even be considered as "second hand" so you may get quite a good return on it.

I guess it all depends how you feel about the shop handling the sale after what has already happened.
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 131 out 101 in ...£14.92 spend
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 17th Aug 17, 10:56 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 17th Aug 17, 10:56 PM
    • 17th Aug 17, 10:56 PM
    Was the dress custom-made?

This is a question for the Consumer Rights board really, but have a read here:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cancelling-goods-or-services-guide-for-consumers/cancelling-goods-or-services
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 18th Aug 17, 10:23 AM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 4,137 Thanks
    lika_86
    • 18th Aug 17, 10:23 AM
    • 18th Aug 17, 10:23 AM
    Who signed the contract and order for the dress? If it was her then it's nothing to do with you!
    • investme
    • By investme 18th Aug 17, 11:11 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    investme
    • 18th Aug 17, 11:11 AM
    • 18th Aug 17, 11:11 AM
    No not custom made

and yes it was her - however i'm dealing with all the cancellations / finances. Technically, i don't have to do anything, but for the sake of an easy life and the fact we ended on good terms etc. i'm going to sort it one way or another
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 18th Aug 17, 8:25 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 18th Aug 17, 8:25 PM
    • 18th Aug 17, 8:25 PM
    Per the link I posted earlier, just because something is in the contract doesn't make it lawful or enforceable - ref Consumer Rights Act 2015 Part 2: Unfair Terms.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/part/2/enacted

You should point out to the shop that they can only retain money to cover the actual losses they've incurred. They can't force you to pay the full amount nor hold you liable for any further losses they incurred by refusing to cancel the order when originally requested.

In the likely event they don't play ball your ex should take them to small claims court for the money already paid (you can't do this as you're not a party to the contract). If they want to make a deduction for the losses they've incurred they will need to provide evidence of these.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/small-claims-court
    • investme
    • By investme 7th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    investme
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    All, thanks for the advice so far

Despite trying to get hold of them for several weeks with no luck, much to my surprise (and the anger of my ex...) a CCJ notice demanding the rest of the payment (plus a £70 court fee) arrived yesterday. couldn't quite believe the cheek of it, but nevermind.

Anyway, in short, it's against her, not me and i know very well she isn't going to go to court to save me a few quid. Is it possible to deflect it to me, or will it always be against her? I am confident if i was to defend myself and offer to pay costs incurred and insist they attempt to resell the dress as per the consumer law mentioned that i would win.

If not, i'm out of ideas. There's 0 chance she will go to court over it. Ny only other option is to suggest i pay it off, and ask if they will hold onto the dress and attempt to re-sell it and re-reimburse me any proceeds from the sale
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 7th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    dj1471
    Sounds like a letter before action rather than a CCJ? Or is it a letter designed to look like a CCJ?

Legally they don't have a leg to stand on.

You're not a party to the contract so nothing can affect you.
    • 7roland8
    • By 7roland8 7th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    • 3,545 Posts
    • 6,809 Thanks
    7roland8
    No idea why you think its your responsibility - your ex picked the ridiculously expensive dress and its really nothing to do with you. Leave her sort it out.

You may be dealing with cancelling things but surely she can pull her weight on this one.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
    • SparksAlive
    • By SparksAlive 9th Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    SparksAlive
    Wedding people are awful about contracts. When my ex and I split up, I tried to cancel the venue. They insisted we both had to sign the cancellation. It wasn't a friendly breakup and I was scared to go near him, which I told them, but apparently it was impossible to cancel otherwise! Like... did they think if only I signed, he might show up on the date we'd reserved expecting a wedding?

Unfortunately, if she signed everything for the dress then any action take will be against her, regardless of what you want. You either need to pay the amount, or convince her to try and sort it out.
    • Julialt
    • By Julialt 22nd Sep 17, 4:29 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Julialt
    It's not your responsibility. You don't have to pay for it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

74Posts Today

3,202Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin