Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 14th Aug 17, 5:57 PM
    • 3,199Posts
    • 29,319Thanks
    Knit Witch
    PIP MR timings
    • 14th Aug 17, 5:57 PM
    PIP MR timings 14th Aug 17 at 5:57 PM
    I had my PIP assessment in February and was granted basic care but no mobility (even though I HAD been on DLA higher rate mobility!) we sent a MR reconsideration off (which they have received), but I have heard nothing - how long should all this take?
    V3ry - £555.59
Page 1
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 14th Aug 17, 6:09 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 14th Aug 17, 6:09 PM
    • 14th Aug 17, 6:09 PM
    It's a bit an "it depends" I am afraid

In my experience they mostly turn them round quite quickly but I've also known some drag on

When did you submit the MR?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 14th Aug 17, 6:10 PM
    • 1,779 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 14th Aug 17, 6:10 PM
    • 14th Aug 17, 6:10 PM
    I had my PIP assessment in February and was granted basic care but no mobility (even though I HAD been on DLA higher rate mobility!) we sent a MR reconsideration off (which they have received), but I have heard nothing - how long should all this take?
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    When was the decision made and when did you send off the MR request?
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 14th Aug 17, 6:15 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 29,319 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    • 14th Aug 17, 6:15 PM
    • 14th Aug 17, 6:15 PM
    It's a bit an "it depends" I am afraid

In my experience they mostly turn them round quite quickly but I've also known some drag on

When did you submit the MR?
    Originally posted by NeilCr

When was the decision made and when did you send off the MR request?
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    MR sent mid March (they logged it on the 20th I think)
    V3ry - £555.59
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 14th Aug 17, 6:18 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 1,687 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 14th Aug 17, 6:18 PM
    • 14th Aug 17, 6:18 PM
    Give the DWP a ring to chase this up.
    Sometimes MR's get lost within their systems and don't get referred onto the correct dept.

MR's should take around 3 weeks, not 5 months.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 14th Aug 17, 6:19 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 14th Aug 17, 6:19 PM
    • 14th Aug 17, 6:19 PM
    Give the DWP a ring to chase this up.
    Sometimes MR's get lost within their systems and don't get referred onto the correct dept.
    Originally posted by Alice Holt
    Beat me to it Alice! Definitely chase them up OP

That is a long time.

Some information on timings here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration/
    Last edited by NeilCr; 14-08-2017 at 6:22 PM.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 14th Aug 17, 6:26 PM
    • 4,277 Posts
    • 4,454 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 14th Aug 17, 6:26 PM
    • 14th Aug 17, 6:26 PM
    It's possible it's been sent for appeal following an negative MR and they haven't advised you of that.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 14th Aug 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 1,687 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 14th Aug 17, 6:52 PM
    • 14th Aug 17, 6:52 PM
    "It's possible it's been sent for appeal following an negative MR and they haven't advised you of that."

This system has changed. It's now a two stage process.

If the claimant wishes to continue an appeal following an MR refusal, the claimant needs to complete the Tribunal Service SSCS 1 form within one month of the MRN.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 14th Aug 17, 7:05 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 29,319 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    • 14th Aug 17, 7:05 PM
    • 14th Aug 17, 7:05 PM
    Thank you folks - I will pluck up the courage and phone later this week! (get seriously stressed on the phone so this really isn't good for me )
    V3ry - £555.59
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 21st Aug 17, 4:03 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 29,319 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Okay phoned them an hour ago (still shaking with panic - really NOT good on the phone), still no decision! The chap said he would see if he can get them to look at it as nearly 5 months is too long.
    V3ry - £555.59
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 21st Aug 17, 4:09 PM
    • 11,002 Posts
    • 20,462 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Yes that's a long time.... hopefully the call will have this prioritised... horrible I know but I'd probably chase them up again in 2 or 3 weeks if you hear nothing.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 21st Aug 17, 4:10 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 29,319 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Yes that's a long time.... hopefully the call will have this prioritised... horrible I know but I'd probably chase them up again in 2 or 3 weeks if you hear nothing.
    Originally posted by Muttleythefrog
    Burger it - it has taken nearly a month for me to get the courage to phone THIS time!!
    V3ry - £555.59
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 21st Aug 17, 5:35 PM
    • 11,002 Posts
    • 20,462 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Burger it - it has taken nearly a month for me to get the courage to phone THIS time!!
    Others may suggest contacting an MP if you don't get any joy soon... what you could say is that this huge delay is preventing natural justice as you cannot appeal to a tribunal. I suppose the good news is at least they acknowledge you've made a MR request... my initial concern when I saw this was you might get a nasty shock in them saying they've not lodged a MR.

If you had a 'supporter' and need to speak again on phone... you can have them speak to the DWP on the phone for you... you will probably be asked to answer 2 or 3 security questions as part of that call... like what benefits you get and DOB etc... but otherwise someone else can speak for you.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 21st Aug 17, 5:43 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 29,319 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Others may suggest contacting an MP if you don't get any joy soon... what you could say is that this huge delay is preventing natural justice as you cannot appeal to a tribunal. I suppose the good news is at least they acknowledge you've made a MR request... my initial concern when I saw this was you might get a nasty shock in them saying they've not lodged a MR.

If you had a 'supporter' and need to speak again on phone... you can have them speak to the DWP on the phone for you... you will probably be asked to answer 2 or 3 security questions as part of that call... like what benefits you get and DOB etc... but otherwise someone else can speak for you.
    Originally posted by Muttleythefrog
    My wonderful hubby would normally do the phone calls for me - but his new office has not got brilliant internet access at the moment so he can't work from home

Oh and my MP is a Tory - not sure how much help she would be
    V3ry - £555.59
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 21st Aug 17, 5:56 PM
    • 1,779 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    poppy12345
    My wonderful hubby would normally do the phone calls for me - but his new office has not got brilliant internet access at the moment so he can't work from home

Oh and my MP is a Tory - not sure how much help she would be
    You never know unless you try. I'm NOT a Tory but a few years ago i was having issues with the severe disability premium claim and it was taking forever to get DWP to even acknowledge i'd sent them the forms (twice) yet they kept telling me they hadn't recieved them. Contacted my local MP a Tory and just 3 days later i had a call from DWP who went onto sort my claim out over the phone. 5 days later i had 11 months of back dated SDP money in my bank. So, i would advice if you don't have a decision soon to contact your local MP. Good luck.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 21st Aug 17, 5:59 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 29,319 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    You never know unless you try. I'm NOT a Tory but a few years ago i was having issues with the severe disability premium claim and it was taking forever to get DWP to even acknowledge i'd sent them the forms (twice) yet they kept telling me they hadn't recieved them. Contacted my local MP a Tory and just 3 days later i had a call from DWP who went onto sort my claim out over the phone. 5 days later i had 11 months of back dated SDP money in my bank. So, i would advice if you don't have a decision soon to contact your local MP. Good luck.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    That's good to know poppy - thank you
    V3ry - £555.59
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 12th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 29,319 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Follow on - finally got the answer and it is NO CHANGE so appeal time
    V3ry - £555.59
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 13th Nov 17, 6:55 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 29,319 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    I don't suppose anyone knows how long it takes for the appeal to be heard (got the letter today to say they are contacting the DWP)
    V3ry - £555.59
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Nov 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1,779 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I don't suppose anyone knows how long it takes for the appeal to be heard (got the letter today to say they are contacting the DWP)
    Possibly several months but totally depends on backlog in your area.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 13th Nov 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 1,687 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    It does depend on area, but typically appeals to the Tribunal Service seem to taking 20-30 weeks or so.

One thing to bear in mind is that the TS will be looking at your condition / abilities at the date of the DWP decision (Feb), so it could be worth getting medical evidence sooner than later.

Useful guide here:
    http://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-win-pip-appeal

Be aware that the mobility descriptors for PIP have changed recently (to exclude psychological distress):
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3602-government-rushes-in-heartless-changes-to-pip-mobility-for-mental-health
    But since these changes were implemented on March 16 - you should be assessed on the old descriptions (if applicable).

Also, of course, under PIP the mobility descriptors for moving around are less than 25m for an enhanced award and less than 50m for a standard award (compared with 50m for HR DLA).
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,902Posts Today

8,612Users online

Martin's Twitter