Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 14th Aug 17, 11:12 AM
    • 2,848Posts
    • 2,881Thanks
    cjdavies
    Rip in Love film by post
    • 14th Aug 17, 11:12 AM
    Rip in Love film by post 14th Aug 17 at 11:12 AM
    Just had this email

We have very much enjoyed delivering the LOVEFiLM By Post service to you. However, over the last few years we’ve seen a decreasing demand for DVD and Blu-ray rental as customers increasingly move to streaming. Due to this, we will be closing the LOVEFiLM By Post service on 31st October 2017
    Gutted, I loved the service, as they had movies and tv shows that are not available on Netflix or Prime, and i have many more to watch. I Will now cram as many as I can now until then 3 discs at a time, so average 6 a week
    Last edited by cjdavies; 14-08-2017 at 1:05 PM.
Page 4
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Oct 17, 6:21 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    I've tried 4K streaming and the quality isn't even equal to standard Blu-ray Discs. It's the compression required to stream that pushes down the quality, not the resolution.

Don't get me wrong, I want to prefer streaming services, it's clearly far more convenient. However I don't. For the moment there are too many issues for me to use streaming services. When they fix these (and they will, give it a few years) I'll switch but until then I'm happy with the discs.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    Agree that if you don't have the connection speeds then streaming will be an issue. But I have seen 4K on a 65" through sky Q and it's top quality to my eyes.

Quality will always be subjective but we have to remember it's the story telling and visual impact of the actual movie that's important rather than splitting hairs on quality between discs and streaming.

Yes for those who want blue ray discs more power to them but streaming can compete.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 12th Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    • 588 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    dunroving
    I am a long term DVD/Blue Ray renter, first via Netflix in the US and then LoveFilm. I too am very disappointed that Love Film is closing.

In preparation I have subscribed to Prime and purchased a Fire stick. I have just retired and plan to indulge my love for films and good TV series. I was quite surprised to find that every movie currently on my LoveFilm list is NOT free on Prime. Not only that, the Rental fee for one movie is about half the cost of my LoveFilm subscription. It means that my typical LoveFilm diet of about 10 movies a week will cost me about £30 to £50 per month with Prime!

I will probably supplement Prime with either Cinema Paradiso or my local library.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 12th Oct 17, 10:11 AM
    • 588 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    dunroving
    I am a long term DVD/Blue Ray renter, first via Netflix in the US and then LoveFilm. I too am very disappointed that Love Film is closing.

In preparation I have subscribed to Prime and purchased a Fire stick. I have just retired and plan to indulge my love for films and good TV series. I was quite surprised to find that every movie currently on my LoveFilm list is NOT free on Prime. Not only that, the Rental fee for one movie is about half the cost of my LoveFilm subscription. It means that my typical LoveFilm diet of about 10 movies a week will cost me about £30 to £50 per month with Prime!

I will probably supplement Prime with either Cinema Paradiso or my local library.
    Originally posted by dunroving
    I meant to also say that I'm a bit disappointed with the functionality of the Fire stick compared to a disc player. Whereas a disc player has a Fast Forward and a "jump forward" button, the Fire stick's Fast Forward button seems to be a jump forward function. Or am I missing something obvious? It makes it difficult to fine-tune navigation. I did eventually figure out how to turn on subtitles which was a relief!
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 12th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    I have just retired and plan to indulge my love for films and good TV series.
    Good luck with that! I retired over five years ago with the same intention and if you are anything like me you just won't believe how little extra time there is to indulge such passions; I'm still only up to the 1970s with my catch-up TV...

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with Cinema Paradiso, my experience is that it has a more comprehensive selection than LoveFilm ever did; quite a few of my "Limited availability" LoveFilm discs are freely available on CP.

Too much content out in the world and not enough time for one person to have it all
    Originally posted by john22
    This is so true. I have come to the sad conclusion that the likes of Amazon and Netflix are bringing out so many great new TV series so quickly, that I will now never find the time to ever catch up with everything available that I would like to watch.
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 13th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    dunroving

I meant to also say that I'm a bit disappointed with the functionality of the Fire stick compared to a disc player. Whereas a disc player has a Fast Forward and a "jump forward" button, the Fire stick's Fast Forward button seems to be a jump forward function. Or am I missing something obvious? It makes it difficult to fine-tune navigation. I did eventually figure out how to turn on subtitles which was a relief!
    Just a follow-up to say that I am learning how LoveFilm and Amazon prime "correspond", so to speak. I had assumed that all LoveFilm films were available on Amazon prime (for free). Having now done some research, I realised the following:

Some movies listed on LoveFilm are not available on AP at all.
    Some movies listed on LoveFilm are available free on AP.
    Some movies (in fact, I think "most") listed on LoveFilm are available for a rental charge anything from £0.99 up to more than £7.00 on AP.

It seems to me so far that the main " all inclusive" benefits of AP in terms of entertainment are (a) a limited number of free movies, including some relatively recent ones (e.g., Gold, and 20th Century Women, which only recently was added to my LoveFilm list); (b) a quite extensive library of free "TV" content (especially series); and (c) a quite extensive library of music.

I mostly joined AP expecting a lot of (a), so I am a bit disappointed, but will stick with it for now, to see how much I use (b) and (c).

I wouldn't mind so much if you just had to wait a little longer for movies to become free on AP, but it doesn't seem t be related to how recent the movie is - it looks like the pay-per-view ones stay as pay-per-view..
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 13th Oct 17, 7:46 PM
    • 7,038 Posts
    • 3,295 Thanks
    buglawton
    When I joined AP it was because the savings on delivery costs on orders over a year would half pay for membership anyway. The free films and offline music on the app are a nice bonus. I'll still rent any worthwhile film on Amazon Video, but as usual the delay between cinema and online release is a frustrating one.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 24th Oct 17, 10:57 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 2,881 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Been using Cinema Paradiso for about 3 weeks now, and must say I'm impressed, same speed of delivery as Love Film, paying more for less than I did with LoveFilm but they have TV shows and movies that streaming does not. I will be staying with them :-)
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 25th Oct 17, 9:45 AM
    • 588 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    dunroving
    Can anyone give insight on Netflix (i.e., how big is their movie library and are their movies free to watch under a Netflix membership, or is there a rental charge, as with most of the decent Amazon Prime movies?). I have AP and am enjoyng it, but will want a handful of additional (newer) moves to watch each month. I'm swithering between (a) Cinema Paradiso, (b) Netflix, and (c) local library.

I haven't really looked in depth at the library, but I think they charge £2 per disk and you can keep it for 2 days. Also, of course, no guarantee of availability from the library. I plan to take a wander down there later this week.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 25th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 2,881 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Can anyone give insight on Netflix (i.e., how big is their movie library and are their movies free to watch under a Netflix membership, or is there a rental charge, as with most of the decent Amazon Prime movies?). I have AP and am enjoyng it, but will want a handful of additional (newer) moves to watch each month. I'm swithering between (a) Cinema Paradiso, (b) Netflix, and (c) local library.

I haven't really looked in depth at the library, but I think they charge £2 per disk and you can keep it for 2 days. Also, of course, no guarantee of availability from the library. I plan to take a wander down there later this week.
    I did a trial with Netflix, poor for movies for myself as what I had on my list with Lovefilm, they never had, they are free, I would suggest signing up for the free trial so you can browse through their selection.

Cinema Paradiso also has a 14 day trial.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 25th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    NetFlix is rubbish for movies. NowTV movie pass will probably be your best bet if you've got decent internet. Look for half price passes and the cost is not too bad.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 25th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 2,881 Thanks
    cjdavies
    NetFlix is rubbish for movies. NowTV movie pass will probably be your best bet if you've got decent internet. Look for half price passes and the cost is not too bad.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Oh yes, got through their cancellation process on their site 3 pages in 1/2 price for 4 months.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 31st Oct 17, 5:57 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    dunroving
    Can I ask those of you who use Cinema Paradiso how their system allows you to rank your selections? Is it High/Medium/Low priority like Lovefilm? Or can you simply put them in order (1st choice, etc.)?

I used Netflix in the US back when it was a disk rental service and their system allowed you to prioritise using 1, 2, 3, etc. Generally, you'd get something from your top 5 choices, occasionally from the top 10 and very rarely outside of your Top 10.

I found Lovefilm's system to be a very blunt instrument. Even when you did get something from your High priority list (often not the case), it was obviously somewhat random (so if you had 10 or 15 High priority disks, the likelihood of getting one over another was equal), whereas with the old Netflix disk rental, you could achieve a much more nuanced control over what you might get - simply by putting your "most favorite" in the top 5 you could control what you got and if you fancied a drama one weekend, you'd just move all the dramas to the top 5.

I received my last two disks from Lovefilm this week. Both from my Low priority list. Da bums.
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 31st Oct 17, 6:20 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    Or can you simply put them in order (1st choice, etc.)?
    This is exactly how Cinema Paradiso works, you simply list the specific order you would prefer discs and they send them out accordingly, giving you much more control than Lovefilm ever did.
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 31st Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 2,881 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Can I ask those of you who use Cinema Paradiso how their system allows you to rank your selections? Is it High/Medium/Low priority like Lovefilm? Or can you simply put them in order (1st choice, etc.)?

I received my last two disks from Lovefilm this week. Both from my Low priority list. Da bums.
    I can't really answer Cinema Paradiso rank system as I only have 2 o my list, now that Lovefilm has added I will add them all.

My last discs came today also from Lovefilm, I have 2 high priorities for TV shows. However they only sent 1 from high another 3 from normal
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 1st Nov 17, 11:48 AM
    • 588 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    dunroving
    This is exactly how Cinema Paradiso works, you simply list the specific order you would prefer discs and they send them out accordingly, giving you much more control than Lovefilm ever did.
    Originally posted by MobileSaver
    Great, I think I will try the local library first and see what choices they give, then try a CP free trial.

I notice that CP only seems to give you a free trial of the 6 discs a month option - I presume if you don't need that many, you could cancel before the direct debits kick in and enroll in the 4 discs per month option? What with having Amazon Prime and the local library, I don't need more than 4 discs per month from CP (and I need to stick to a tight budget in retirement!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,541Posts Today

9,310Users online

Martin's Twitter