Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 14th Aug 17, 11:12 AM
    • 2,848Posts
    • 2,885Thanks
    cjdavies
    Rip in Love film by post
    • 14th Aug 17, 11:12 AM
    Rip in Love film by post 14th Aug 17 at 11:12 AM
    Just had this email

We have very much enjoyed delivering the LOVEFiLM By Post service to you. However, over the last few years we’ve seen a decreasing demand for DVD and Blu-ray rental as customers increasingly move to streaming. Due to this, we will be closing the LOVEFiLM By Post service on 31st October 2017
    Gutted, I loved the service, as they had movies and tv shows that are not available on Netflix or Prime, and i have many more to watch. I Will now cram as many as I can now until then 3 discs at a time, so average 6 a week
    Last edited by cjdavies; 14-08-2017 at 1:05 PM.
Page 3
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 18th Aug 17, 10:34 PM
    • 7,414 Posts
    • 13,613 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I doubt it, now that a lot of the Lovefilm customers will be joining them.

I just hope the team sending out the discs can cope with the extra workload, and there are enough copies of the latest films aswell!
    Originally posted by Kraftwerk
    I will be one of them. Got 95% of the stuff I got on my LBP list that aren't on streaming Tip - copy and paste your rental list just in case the LBP website disappears
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Aug 17, 10:37 PM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I doubt it, now that a lot of the Lovefilm customers will be joining them.
    Originally posted by Kraftwerk
    It will just stave off the inevitable, I'm afraid.

Can they stop us not returning our final discs?
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Are you seriously asking if you will be allowed to steal your final rental?
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 19th Aug 17, 6:35 AM
    • 7,414 Posts
    • 13,613 Thanks
    ScarletMarble

Are you seriously asking if you will be allowed to steal your final rental?
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    No! But they can't stop us returning the final disc 3 weeks afterwards.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 19th Aug 17, 10:46 AM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    they can't stop us returning the final disc 3 weeks afterwards.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Why would you keep it for three weeks (or even for a day) after you've watched it? Just return the final discs in short order and start watching elsewhere!
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 19th Aug 17, 11:54 AM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    cjdavies
    I got two instead of one
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    I have now switched my rental to take all 3 from my TV list instead of 2. If they keep sending extra until closure I'll be blasting the series out
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 19th Aug 17, 1:07 PM
    • 7,414 Posts
    • 13,613 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    No extra discs for me.

Had a post it note saying my rental list is low! Cheeky devils as there are 45-50 titles on my list. Were another 5-7 titles on there which I removed as on streaming.

Noticed the reserved list - for titles they don't have discs anymore and one title has been there for three years.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 25th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    cjdavies
    I had the normal 3 Wednesday, email just now, 6 on it's way!
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 7th Oct 17, 1:12 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    Gutted, I loved the service, as they had movies and tv shows that are not available on Netflix or Prime,
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Me too. Absolutely gutted.

Aren't the movies and tv shows you watch available on online streaming services?
    Originally posted by Marvqn1
    No, I've got over 100 titles in my LoveFilm lists that are not available on either Netflix or Prime (not without paying per episode anyway!)

Well all good things come to an end but I'd guess DVD/BluRay rental will be around for a few more years yet unless you know something we don't?
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 7th Oct 17, 1:28 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    I have a thx certified home cinema which demands the best quality source possible.
    Originally posted by Brek01
    My dedicated home cinema room isn't as top-end as yours but still pretty awesome with a Sony HW55 projecting on to a 138 inch (11 foot) screen so like you the source material is everything; my viewing preference is BluRay, DVD then streaming in that order.

Do you really show borrowed discs through a high end system? You put scratched and generally abused rentals into expensive equipment?
    I've had a decent home cinema system for years and never once had a problem from using a scratched disc; I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill for a problem that barely exists. Besides in all the years I've been using Lovefilm I can probably count on one hand the number of disks that were obviously abused.
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

• john22
    • By john22 7th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    Me too. Absolutely gutted.

No, I've got over 100 titles in my LoveFilm lists that are not available on either Netflix or Prime (not without paying per episode anyway!)

Well all good things come to an end but I'd guess DVD/BluRay rental will be around for a few more years yet unless you know something we don't?
    Originally posted by MobileSaver
    No service has everything. Too much content out in the world and not enough time for one person to have it all so it's a case of going with whatever content provider fits your needs.

There is now only one rental company left in the UK market so hopefully that fits the needs of the people who have crap internet service or is looking for something that streaming does not provide.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 7th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 4,727 Posts
    • 7,512 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Until streaming services offer the quality and the range of postal services I'll continue to use the postal service. Some people don't care about the quality, that's fine they can get a service suitable for them but I'll too opt for a service suitable for me.

Given that CP is the only company offering this service now I'm sure they'll do just fine. I'm not at all surprised Amazon decided to stop, there is no doubt much higher profits in streaming and I'm sure they did the math to decide the estimated number of lost customers was worth it.

We're still a few years off streams offering bluray quality yet but it'll happen at some point.
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 7th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    CEX sells second hand, of course.
    In 99.9% of cases is watching Guardians of the Galaxy (or any film) somehow inferior on a second hand DVD to watching a new DVD or streaming it?

• john22
    • By john22 7th Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    Until streaming services offer the quality and the range of postal services I'll continue to use the postal service. Some people don't care about the quality, that's fine they can get a service suitable for them but I'll too opt for a service suitable for me.

Given that CP is the only company offering this service now I'm sure they'll do just fine. I'm not at all surprised Amazon decided to stop, there is no doubt much higher profits in streaming and I'm sure they did the math to decide the estimated number of lost customers was worth it.

We're still a few years off streams offering bluray quality yet but it'll happen at some point.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    You can get 4K quality through streaming so never assume that all streaming is poor.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 7th Oct 17, 10:30 PM
    • 1,016 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    4k streaming requires a meaty internet connection though, at a minimum fibre. HD you can get away with 5Mb if its the only thing using the internet.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 7th Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    In 99.9% of cases is watching Guardians of the Galaxy (or any film) somehow inferior on a second hand DVD to watching a new DVD or streaming it?
    Originally posted by MobileSaver
    My post was in response to someone claiming that they required top quality sources for their "high end system."

The chances are high that second hand discs have scratches etc. As for DVD, that is no longer a top quality medium in an era where we are being offered 4K Blu Ray.

What evidence can you present that "99,9%" of used discs are not inferior to brand new ones?
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 7th Oct 17, 11:13 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    dekaspace
    My post was in response to someone claiming that they required top quality sources for their "high end system."

The chances are high that second hand discs have scratches etc. As for DVD, that is no longer a top quality medium in an era where we are being offered 4K Blu Ray.

What evidence can you present that "99,9%" of used discs are not inferior to brand new ones?

Even if 99.9% of used discs were inferior, of that number how many are unusable and how many usable? How many in good but not mint condition?

And blu rays rarely get proper scratches due to the coating.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Oct 17, 12:12 AM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Even if 99.9% of used discs were inferior, of that number how many are unusable and how many usable? How many in good but not mint condition?
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    Who knows?
    I certainly wouldn't chance any of them in a "high end system".
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 8th Oct 17, 12:24 AM
    • 17,011 Posts
    • 26,032 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    I was sent the first series of a programme so contacted them to ask why when I wouldn't be able to get all the following ones before they closed. They sent me the next three series so lots to watch
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 8th Oct 17, 9:58 AM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 3,296 Thanks
    buglawton
    This reminds me of why I cancelled LoveFilm many a year ago. We have a vertical letterbox with sprung flap through which the postie would stuff the DVDs. He'd never push and hold the flap. After the 2nd time that a DVD arrived cracked as a result of bending, and my complaints to LoveFilm about the fact the DVDs were not in rigid cases or packaging, I cancelled. Ironically EBay DVDs will always arrive in decent packaging.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 8th Oct 17, 5:02 PM
    • 4,727 Posts
    • 7,512 Thanks
    Gavin83
    You can get 4K quality through streaming so never assume that all streaming is poor.
    Originally posted by john22
    I've tried 4K streaming and the quality isn't even equal to standard Blu-ray Discs. It's the compression required to stream that pushes down the quality, not the resolution.

Don't get me wrong, I want to prefer streaming services, it's clearly far more convenient. However I don't. For the moment there are too many issues for me to use streaming services. When they fix these (and they will, give it a few years) I'll switch but until then I'm happy with the discs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,148Posts Today

5,752Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin