Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Singlemumwithplans
    • By Singlemumwithplans 14th Aug 17, 10:16 AM
    • 80Posts
    • 102Thanks
    Singlemumwithplans
    ThelittleladyandI
    • 14th Aug 17, 10:16 AM
    ThelittleladyandI 14th Aug 17 at 10:16 AM
    First timer seeking organisation, security and a lovely life for my daughter and I.

My husband has recently left, he is a good person, struggling. He is still very present in DD's life and at the moment is contributing financially a lot. His leaving is very very recent. I am heartbroken but need a new focus and some positivity. (I still hold out hope that things will resolve themselves but until then......)

I am 30, work part time, 3 days a week. My daughter is 18 months old, the cheekest monkey, hard work but she is what has kept me going recently! We live in our home with our guard dog haha! Old Labrador, soft dog!

I'm aiming to get finances organised as much as anything. Currently I have no idea how much bills and costs are, when they go out of the accounts, whose name they are in or which account they go out of (joint, mine or his) I want to be able to manage the finances better and pay back outstanding debt!

The debt has accumulated over a few years, just by buying stuff we don't need! It's in the form of two credit cards and also finance agreement for a sofa (not too worried about this as its 0 percent!)

I'm going to start by paying off the sainsburys credit card. It's in my name and I would like to have it at 0 by Christmas. I hope that this is realistic. It stands at £1125.29 eek!

The other thing I'm really keen to do is get an account sorted for emergencys. What if...my husband dint transfer money .....i wouldn't have enough to cover the mortgage...it doesn't bare thinking about! A few months mortgage in a savings account would help me to feel more secure.

I've started off well for August. I'm keeping a spending diary which I will add in next post. Is it just me or do others like to start diets (food or money) on the first of the month, better still the first of the day year!?

Well let's throw this out into the virtual world!
Page 7
    • Singlemumwithplans
    • By Singlemumwithplans 2nd Oct 17, 6:40 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Singlemumwithplans
    Thanks everyone!

So I have organised my September spends......

Groceries (including pet food, nappies, toiletries, cleaning
    Stuff etc. ) £238.79
    Petrol and parking £137.67
    Clothes for little lady £ 177.59 (-£100 as dds daughter gave me money)
    Clothes for me £37.10
    Entertainment £103.58

I haven't compared these figures to last month ( I will do) but I'm okay about them! Obviously I am horrified at how much money I have spent on the little lady's wardrobe! It's ridiculous (even though her dad paid for some of it) I am setting myself the challenge of not spending any money on clothes for the little lady. With the exception of shoes if they are needed!
    • Singlemumwithplans
    • By Singlemumwithplans 2nd Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Singlemumwithplans
    Compared to last month food is about the same as is entertainment and clothes for me. Petrol and dd clothes are both a lot more! Eeek!!!
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 2nd Oct 17, 7:09 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 2,593 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    It's scary isn't it when you look a what you spend in certain categories?
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • Singlemumwithplans
    • By Singlemumwithplans 3rd Oct 17, 6:28 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Singlemumwithplans
    It sure is! I think because I know I have previously overspent in the supermarkets I am very conscious of what I'm spending in that catagory! Whereas I think others I haven't paid as much attention to!
    • Singlemumwithplans
    • By Singlemumwithplans 9th Oct 17, 6:22 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Singlemumwithplans
    Hello everyone, feels like I haven't posted in while. Everything is going well. I will post up spends for last week later today as I didn't do it yesterday! Nothing particularly bad or money saving to report really. Just plodding along paying bits and pieces to the credit card where I can. I'm still on track to pay that credit card off by Christmas. Then I will target another debt!

X
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 12th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    Just wanted to pop and say hello back! Sounds like you are doing well I am with you on the DD clothing spends! This winter is the first time I haven't gone mad on clothes for her and honestly, I feel like she has barely any clothes but I am determined to stick to it as they really don't need 50 different outfits for 1 season. All the best! x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

374Posts Today

1,649Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin