Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • musharoom
    • By musharoom 13th Aug 17, 11:37 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 8Thanks
    musharoom
    Confetti costs HOW MUCH!!!?
    • 13th Aug 17, 11:37 PM
    Confetti costs HOW MUCH!!!? 13th Aug 17 at 11:37 PM
    I'm getting married next month (eek)!

I've cut costs wherever possible - calling in favours from friends and family and making most things myself! Including: cake, stationery, center pieces, table confetti, wedding favors, wedding signs, and bunting, hair & make up, transport. Thank you to whoever came up with Freecyle!

But it seems the largest expensive next to venue/food will be confetti!!! What?! How is that possible?!! One website recommends 24 litres for my guest numbers, at £15 per litre!!!

Any ideas where to buy cheaply? It has to be biodegradable (venue requirement) otherwise I'd make some myself! - can I make biodegradable confetti myself? What could I use without being flush with dried flowers?

I'm considering bubbles (way cheaper) but I'd rather have confetti - I'm not a bridezilla in the slightest but I do love confetti photos and I'd be really disappointed to not have any from my own wedding.

TIA
Page 1
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 13th Aug 17, 11:39 PM
    • 16,951 Posts
    • 25,857 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 13th Aug 17, 11:39 PM
    • 13th Aug 17, 11:39 PM
    Since when was confetti provided by the bride? Guests take their own at every wedding I've been at.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Aug 17, 8:44 AM
    • 17,662 Posts
    • 44,974 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 14th Aug 17, 8:44 AM
    • 14th Aug 17, 8:44 AM
    Since when was confetti provided by the bride? Guests take their own at every wedding I've been at.
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    I agree.
    I've never had confetti provided by the bridal party at any wedding I've been to.
    I've always bought my own little box.

£360 for confetti?
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 14th Aug 17, 9:32 AM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 14th Aug 17, 9:32 AM
    • 14th Aug 17, 9:32 AM
    Never heard of confetti by the bucket. Our photographer took some boxes with her to give to guests to do a timed throw so she could get a picture. I don't think I've ever used confetti at a wedding. Wonder what the origin is, will have to google.
    • Faith177
    • By Faith177 14th Aug 17, 1:38 PM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 3,943 Thanks
    Faith177
    • 14th Aug 17, 1:38 PM
    • 14th Aug 17, 1:38 PM
    I've always brought my own confetti to weddings never had it supplied. Granted I supplied bubbles at mine because confetti wasnt allowed
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Date 27/04/2013

WW - Start Weight 15.1 Goal 10.10 loss so far 9lbs
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 14th Aug 17, 8:13 PM
    • 2,961 Posts
    • 4,470 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    • 14th Aug 17, 8:13 PM
    • 14th Aug 17, 8:13 PM
    24 litres of confetti!!

Every wedding I have been a few people have have brought small boxes of confetti. How many guests are you having to require 24 litres.
    Last edited by sillyvixen; 14-08-2017 at 8:21 PM.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Aug 17, 8:18 PM
    • 59,970 Posts
    • 350,566 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 14th Aug 17, 8:18 PM
    • 14th Aug 17, 8:18 PM
    As others have said .... brides don't supply confetti, guests take their own.

24 litres is 12 LARGE bottles of fizzy pop... that's like a whole bucket per guest???!!

You must've got confused somewhere.

Just let your guests know it has to be biodegradable.

You can make your own with petals - by drying them. If you still want to buy it, you can buy it sub £6/litre.

I'm intrigued how people would be expected to receive, hold, throw a couple of buckets of the stuff at you .....
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 14th Aug 17, 10:45 PM
    • 5,057 Posts
    • 52,433 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    • 14th Aug 17, 10:45 PM
    • 14th Aug 17, 10:45 PM
    I've been to a wedding where guests were asked not to bring any confetti as it would be provided.

It was beautifully done - they had made pretty little cones from wrapping paper, then filled each cone with confetti, and these were packed into shallow boxes. On leaving the service, each guest was given a cone of confetti to use outside.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 77.24

• skimper
    • By skimper 16th Aug 17, 4:50 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    skimper
    • 16th Aug 17, 4:50 PM
    • 16th Aug 17, 4:50 PM
    I'm supplying the confetti at my wedding, I'm just buying a couple of big bags of dried petals from ebay & either having them in bowls or making cones out of doilies.

out of curiosity what website was it?
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 16th Aug 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 1,819 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    We got married in Germany, in the Station HQ conference room (the equivalent of a registry office wedding).

We had been told 'absolutely no confetti' due to the location - but parents and elderly aunties got a bit over excited and threw shed loads of the paper stuff all over us and the front of the HQ building.

We later found out that it had been cleared up by a couple of lads on jankers !
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 16th Aug 17, 9:45 PM
    • 35,523 Posts
    • 45,721 Thanks
    McKneff
    pound shop,......
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Fuzzy_Duck
    • By Fuzzy_Duck 18th Aug 17, 10:44 AM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    Fuzzy_Duck
    Both my mum and MIL brought their own confetti to my wedding. Just a small pack each and it got everywhere! You really don't need much for it to make a good photo.
    • Lavendyr
    • By Lavendyr 28th Aug 17, 7:26 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    Lavendyr
    Never been to a wedding where confetti is provided. Ask guests to bring their own.
    • savvy
    • By savvy 29th Aug 17, 2:25 PM
    • 29,692 Posts
    • 45,315 Thanks
    savvy
    Why not just buy a number of small boxes and give them to your photographer and ask for the confetti photos. That way the photographer can get the wedding party to throw it over you whilst they grab the shots.
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, I can move & change posts, but don't read them all, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones
    • pontybridge
    • By pontybridge 4th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    pontybridge
    Hi,

I was also shocked at the price of confetti! We have to use petals at our venue... they don't allow biodegradable paper confetti, rice etc. Yes sites like Shropshire Petals charge around £12.25 per litre which doesn't go very far! I have been fortunate that my mum has made me a fair batch herself. I have also just purchased some confetti from Gumtree (again from Shropshire Petals) for £30 for 7 litres to top it up. So had a good deal. There is often people selling confetti on there so I have seen, as they have bought too much for their weddings. You can buy the biodegradable paper confetti pretty inexpensively.
    Hope that helps!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 4th Sep 17, 6:14 PM
    • 17,662 Posts
    • 44,974 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm struggling to visualise over 7 litres of confetti.
    • pontybridge
    • By pontybridge 7th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    pontybridge
    Well it really doesn't equate to a huge amount! The bags it comes in are pretty small. We have just raided my future brother-in-law's hydrangea bush. Every surface in my dining room is now covered in petals drying out. It is a bit of a faff making your own but it is worth it for the end result.
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 11th Sep 17, 9:55 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    Anything to do with weddings you can always add a zero lol
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 16th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 3,642 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Musharoom doesn't appear to have been back here, but I wanted to say congratulations for the money saving efforts. I'll be so glad when ours is over, I hope for a lovely day, but I'm also sick of juggling the budget!

And yes, guests bring their own, don't worry, there will be enough for a good photo.
    If you know you have enough, you're rich.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

310Posts Today

3,230Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin