Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Poorlittletightgirl
    • By Poorlittletightgirl 13th Aug 17, 3:12 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 66Thanks
    Poorlittletightgirl
    Crazy twenties, sensible thirties, fun, fabulous and mortgage free forties
    • 13th Aug 17, 3:12 PM
    Crazy twenties, sensible thirties, fun, fabulous and mortgage free forties 13th Aug 17 at 3:12 PM
    Hello,

Well after years of loving the MSE website, one sleepless night this weekend I took my first proper look into the forums and discovered MFW. Wow the diaries I’ve read have been so inspirational, that today I’ve decided to start my own. I would love to be as motivated as some of the posters on here.

So here goes, a bit about me....
    I spent my twenties travelling, working overseas and generally having a good time, whilst remaining debt free and as a rule being a bit tight with money! So the last three years have seen a huge change; settling down, buying a house, having a baby (now a lively toddler) and getting pregnant with my second child.

I currently work for my friends business, three mornings a week, which is great for flexibility and spending time with my baby but not so good for our finances. My partner covers most of the bills, whilst I try and make our money go as far as possible.

Our finances...
    • Re-mortgage approved: £78,000 outstanding @ 2.14% fixed for 2 year - £52,000 equity
    • Savings:
    £8000 just OP on new mortgage
    £6,400 invested in stock market
    • Incoming £2728 per month
    Outgoing’s £1848
    The remainder (£880) is left in our personal accounts and spent unnecessarily

Ultimate goals....
    • Pay off the mortgage within 10 years - by the time I hit the big 40 - June 2024

Goals for remainder of 2017....
    • Save £140 per week towards £7000 annual OP
    • Meal plan/batch cook consistently
    • Reduce entertainment spend
    • Start buy & sell account to pay for new clothes and toys
    • Make own Xmas presents
    • Encourage OH with current stop smoking campaign, to aid OP’s and better health

Well, I think that's enough from me, can't wait to read more diaries and see some progress.
Page 2
    • Madcatgirl
    • By Madcatgirl 7th Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 3,952 Thanks
    Madcatgirl
    Hiya - just wanted to wish you well. The new government childcare thingy is different to the vouchers, so you could probably administer it for OH if that helps! I'm always trying to find free ways to entertain my 3yr old, as the toddler groups are so expensive!
    March 2016 - £178,914.59; July 2017 £146,160.38
    Mortgage end Sept 2043; Target - pay off by March 2022, now Sept 2021
    Target balance July 2018 £112,560
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,001Posts Today

8,577Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin