Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Poorlittletightgirl
    • By Poorlittletightgirl 13th Aug 17, 3:12 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 87Thanks
    Poorlittletightgirl
    Crazy twenties, sensible thirties, fun, fabulous and mortgage free forties
    • 13th Aug 17, 3:12 PM
    Crazy twenties, sensible thirties, fun, fabulous and mortgage free forties 13th Aug 17 at 3:12 PM
    Hello,

Well after years of loving the MSE website, one sleepless night this weekend I took my first proper look into the forums and discovered MFW. Wow the diaries I’ve read have been so inspirational, that today I’ve decided to start my own. I would love to be as motivated as some of the posters on here.

So here goes, a bit about me....
    I spent my twenties travelling, working overseas and generally having a good time, whilst remaining debt free and as a rule being a bit tight with money! So the last three years have seen a huge change; settling down, buying a house, having a baby (now a lively toddler) and getting pregnant with my second child.

I currently work for my friends business, three mornings a week, which is great for flexibility and spending time with my baby but not so good for our finances. My partner covers most of the bills, whilst I try and make our money go as far as possible.

Our finances...
    • Re-mortgage approved: £78,000 outstanding @ 2.14% fixed for 2 year - £52,000 equity
    • Savings:
    £8000 just OP on new mortgage
    £6,400 invested in stock market
    • Incoming £2728 per month
    Outgoing’s £1848
    The remainder (£880) is left in our personal accounts and spent unnecessarily

Ultimate goals....
    • Pay off the mortgage within 10 years - by the time I hit the big 40 - June 2024

Goals for remainder of 2017....
    • Save £140 per week towards £7000 annual OP
    • Meal plan/batch cook consistently
    • Reduce entertainment spend
    • Start buy & sell account to pay for new clothes and toys
    • Make own Xmas presents
    • Encourage OH with current stop smoking campaign, to aid OP’s and better health

Well, I think that's enough from me, can't wait to read more diaries and see some progress.
Page 2
    • Madcatgirl
    • By Madcatgirl 7th Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    Madcatgirl
    Hiya - just wanted to wish you well. The new government childcare thingy is different to the vouchers, so you could probably administer it for OH if that helps! I'm always trying to find free ways to entertain my 3yr old, as the toddler groups are so expensive!
    March 2016 - £178,914.59; July 2017 £146,160.38
    Mortgage end Sept 2043; Target - pay off by March 2022, now Sept 2021
    Target balance July 2018 £112,560
    • Poorlittletightgirl
    • By Poorlittletightgirl 21st Sep 17, 10:15 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Poorlittletightgirl
    Thanks Madcatgirl, waiting to hear back from our child tax/working tax claim, as I believe this effects how much child care help you get.

Slightly delayed post, but will post it anyway. Great MSE day Saturday. After a week of feeling rubbish and getting nothing done, finally feeling a bit more human today. The morning was spent at a clothes swap – you pay £3 entry and take up to 15 items which you drop off, then go back an hour later and it’s set up like a shop. It was a great event and I got several really good quality items, including a coat, in exchange for items I would have sent to the charity shop!

Then the last couple of hours has been spent batch cooking stew and soup for the freezer and preparing Sunday dinner for tomorrow.

7/9 - nsd
    8/9 - £8 brunch
    9/9 – £3 clothes swap, £2 posting tax form, £11 takeaway
    10/9 - £6.50 toddler class and hot drinks
    • Poorlittletightgirl
    • By Poorlittletightgirl 21st Sep 17, 10:55 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Poorlittletightgirl
    Been very lax the last 10 days, maybe a bit downtrodden because I know we won’t be able to overpay for the next few months. In fact we will struggle to keep our joint finances in the black. OH will be on Paternity Pay for a couple of weeks next month too and I’m starting to worry about getting everything organised for the baby arriving and coping with a second child.

Not doing too well with the September goals, however I still have over a week left to complete, if the baby doesn’t make an early appearance:
    1. Keep an accurate spend diary – find a good app for this
    2. 3 x nsd per week
    3. Eb@y sales
    4. Start to make products for business
    5. Try to have £100 left in account towards OP

Some positives from month
    - batch cooking and freezing is going well and freezer is nearly full of soups and meals. Still have enough fresh food left, that we shouldn't need to take from these before next shop either.
    - new bank account and mortgage nearly done, hopefully won't be much longer for savings/rewards with each.
    - child/working tax form posted and hopefully being considered.

14/9 – baby group & airport parking - £4
    15/9 – Meal Out & Drinks £15
    16/9 - Food shop £50.50
    17/9 – toddler group & hot drinks - £8.50
    18/9 - nsd
    19/9 – Home Bargains £8.75
    20/9 – Aldi £17 – xmas presents
    21/9 – nsd (forgot to pay at toddler group – oops!)
    • wildesavings
    • By wildesavings 22nd Sep 17, 6:54 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 475 Thanks
    wildesavings
    Sounds like you're doing the groundwork now so you'll be ready to fly once the babymoons over!

Hope things go smoothly over the next few weeks
    Started my MFW journey in August 14 : £103,650
    2017 : Mortgage at 1/1/17 - £96,839 - now : £91,342 - capital reduced by £5497 so far this year
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

1,211Users online

Martin's Twitter