Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • colb15
    • By colb15 13th Aug 17, 8:25 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 6Thanks
    colb15
    Best bank for security
    • 13th Aug 17, 8:25 AM
    Best bank for security 13th Aug 17 at 8:25 AM
    Just wondering if people have any views on which bank has the best security. Have an irrational fear that my account will be wiped out one day. Seem to remember First Direct being quoted in some article
Page 2
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 15th Aug 17, 9:03 PM
    • 30,093 Posts
    • 19,049 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Best bank with security is your own bank at home with the money under a mattress and you take out how much you need each day.

Back on topic, I cant comment on FD, I find Barclays annoying as you need the Sentry pad and the card unless you have the app downloaded.

RBS, Hallifax, Lloyds, TSB and Tesco are ok, not had an issue with any of them 5 being accessed by anyone other than me.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 15-08-2017 at 9:11 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 15th Aug 17, 9:03 PM
    • 30,093 Posts
    • 19,049 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Another bank used to do this too, but I can't remember which one. I have been with Abbey/A&L for a long time so I would have said them but for what you typed. I remember when I got the card thinking what a great idea it was....
    Originally posted by robatwork
    I remember RBS (I'm sure it was but not 100%) who did this.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 16th Aug 17, 7:50 PM
    • 3,943 Posts
    • 4,274 Thanks
    robatwork
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Possibly but it wasn't with them..... Thinking about it now, why on earth isn't there more biometric security on our cards? A photo similar to a driving licence, or something more sophisticated.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 16th Aug 17, 7:53 PM
    • 1,744 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    It was them. I had an RBS card with my photo on the back.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 16th Aug 17, 8:03 PM
    • 6,976 Posts
    • 8,587 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    It was them. I had an RBS card with my photo on the back.
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    Halifax offered it briefly.
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 16th Aug 17, 9:28 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 1,473 Thanks
    Vortigern
    N&P used to print the customer's photo onto their payment card next to the signature strip
    Originally posted by batrachophagus
    Goldfish credit card also used to do this IIRC. Rather pointless now that cards are rarely handed over to another party.
    • amanita
    • By amanita 16th Aug 17, 10:55 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    amanita
    You don't need to use it for day-to-day access (like M&S does) but just to set up a new payee... and even then you can do it by phone banking instead if you don't like the digidongleting.
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    If you have an Android or iPhone, seriously, get the digital secure key. You can make new payees right from the app.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 17th Aug 17, 7:49 AM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 4,806 Thanks
    Biggles
    Tesco Bank win the wooden spoon for being worst online though.
    Originally posted by batrachophagus
    No, I must dispute that! You clearly haven't got an account with the Co-op Bank, as they really are the rock bottom.

In fact, I would nominate them as being the best for security, because I have an online account and half the time I can't even get into it myself. That's what I call secure!
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 17th Aug 17, 9:09 AM
    • 3,943 Posts
    • 4,274 Thanks
    robatwork
    Goldfish credit card also used to do this IIRC. Rather pointless now that cards are rarely handed over to another party.
    Originally posted by Vortigern
    That's the one I had. In the UK it seems ages since anybody touched my cards. However when abroad this is very different and it always feels strange handing the card over...
    • batrachophagus
    • By batrachophagus 18th Aug 17, 12:59 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    batrachophagus
    No, I must dispute that! You clearly haven't got an account with the Co-op Bank, as they really are the rock bottom.

In fact, I would nominate them as being the best for security, because I have an online account and half the time I can't even get into it myself. That's what I call secure!
    Originally posted by Biggles

lol. I meant the recent security breach, which as far as I know, it has yet to be explained how it happened.
    • amanita
    • By amanita 18th Aug 17, 8:34 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    amanita
    Best bank with security is your own bank at home with the money under a mattress and you take out how much you need each day.

Back on topic, I cant comment on FD, I find Barclays annoying as you need the Sentry pad and the card unless you have the app downloaded.

RBS, Hallifax, Lloyds, TSB and Tesco are ok, not had an issue with any of them 5 being accessed by anyone other than me.
    RBS has the same need for a "sentry pad" (Barclays language). Barclays is actually better as you can use the Android app instead; RBS has no such function.

Halifax, Lloyds and TSB have the exact same system, so no surprise you like them equally
    • G_M
    • By G_M 27th Sep 17, 11:05 PM
    • 41,425 Posts
    • 47,784 Thanks
    G_M
    I had a credit card with a photo on it years back. Long before contactless back when the retailer had to swipe the card through a paper machine.

Pointless. Never once did I see them look at the photo, let alone compare it to me.
    • Superscrooge
    • By Superscrooge 28th Sep 17, 12:25 AM
    • 871 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Superscrooge
    I too had one of the credit cards with my photo on. Must have been 20-30 years ago?

Seemed like a good idea? But would only have worked if all the other credit card providers had adopted it and retailers had got into the habit of checking photo's.

I can't remember which provider experimented with photo credit cards. I think it was one of the Building Societys?
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 29th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 4,806 Thanks
    Biggles
    I can't remember which provider experimented with photo credit cards. I think it was one of the Building Societys?
    Originally posted by Superscrooge
    I had one, I have a feeling it was Liverpool Victoria but am not completely sure.

The only time I found it useful was when an ATM at an Irish country bank 'ate' my card. The bank was shut but I banged on the door anyway and the manager opened it, with my card in his hand. He looked at me, looked at the pic on my card, and gave it back to me immdeiately!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 29th Sep 17, 9:48 AM
    • 13,656 Posts
    • 14,105 Thanks
    zx81
    Saga also used to offer it, but dropped it due to cost and lack of fraud benefits.

The customers liked it though.
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 29th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    It has to be First direct, its so secure even I can't get in sometimes lol. If you have a smartphone you use the app to generate a login code which expires in 30 seconds with a countdown. This phone will self destruct if you get the code wrong lol :-)
    • BenghtTempl
    • By BenghtTempl 2nd Oct 17, 11:54 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BenghtTempl
    It seems to me that it is convenient to use offshore banks. The main thing is to find the right one.
    A couple of years ago I used the services of a Cypriot bank (I will not disclose the name), where almost half a year could not withdraw money.
    Then I got my money and changed the bank.
    Now all the funds in Delta West Credit Bank. Convenient at reasonable prices. For the transfer - for 0.5% of the amount. They do not care where my company is in and what kind of activity it has.
    A couple of transfers came a couple of days later than necessary. but after problems with the Cypriot bank - this is not a problem at all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,488Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin