Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 12th Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    • 501Posts
    • 1,069Thanks
    Arklight
    Charity shops. Their noses are turned upwards
    • 12th Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    Charity shops. Their noses are turned upwards 12th Aug 17 at 1:05 PM
    We're having a clear out and I've triaged everything into stuff I could eBay and it would be worth it, stuff I could eBay but can't be bothered as I wouldn't get that much, and stuff to throw away.

I'm putting all of group 1 and some selected items of group 2 together for charity donations and tried to take some out to local charity shops.

Cancer Research: Woman pulled a face at me when I walked in with the bag and said 'donations?' After continuing to be quite rude she then looked through it and decided that they wanted it after all (because it was decent as new department store gifts) and started thanking me. By that point I didn't really want to give it to her but, whatever, they won't get anything else.

St Barnabas House: Lady sees us unloading the car and rushes out. "We don't WANT any more donations." She says angrily, and points at a sign in their window, which does indeed say they don't want any donations and anyone found leaving donations outside their shop will be arrested for fly tipping.

I point out, as nicely as I feel able, that we are going to Cats Protection next door, and not trying to darken the door of her shop with things to sell.

Cats Protection are about as welcoming as an angry cat. They go through our stuff.

"We'll take that, but we can't sell THAT in here..." They continue to make out like they are doing us a massive favour even allowing us to be in there. Of course they want the stuff they want, it's good and I could sell it myself. Again I don't really want to leave it with them by then. They won't take any books or kids toys and are appalled that we think they might do.

Today we tried ringing around the remaining ones. Some will take 'some' things, but they clearly don't really want them, and would rather we just stayed away. Whoever we are, and whatever it is we've got.

I am flipping fuming. What the hell???

I still have a loft full of barely played with Early Learning Centre toys, a Mamas and Papas cot and travel cot, mint condition, and hundreds of perfectly good books and barely worn toddler and baby clothes. Do I just have to throw all this away?

When did charity shops stop accepting things to sell? Why are they so rude?
Page 7
    • Sassia
    • By Sassia 11th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    Sassia
    We have a couple of really good charity shops here that actually collect things. Himself asked one whether they would take clothes and handbags that might be a little worn. She said yes and any that aren't suitable for selling go to the 'rag man'. They all seemed very grateful. Maybe our area doesn't get many donations.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    • 23,234 Posts
    • 48,545 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    oh, in a shop, definitely! I just organise by colour at home :-)
    Originally posted by kboss2010
    Some turn it into an art form!

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 22,958 Posts
    • 88,558 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Why does everybody have a 'sports direct 'mug? Why can't you find one identical but without the slogan, more to the point? - they're perfect for a bucket of strong tea when I get in from work (no kettle there, so it's an essential medical device in my world. And self defence from the OH's). I just wouldn't go into Sport Direct unless you paid me - and even then, it would be borderline if under £90 for a Saturday afternoon.

The local independent one was quite surprised by the handbags I dropped off the other day. Probably quite understandably, as they looked brand new and were about the £40 mark. It's not a wealthy area, so getting some in a fairly classic style seemed to go down well.

Does anybody else feel a bit smug when their donations go into the window display?
    Last edited by Jojo the Tightfisted; 11-09-2017 at 8:02 PM.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 11th Sep 17, 8:17 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 7,767 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Some turn it into an art form!

Originally posted by VfM4meplse

Yup! That's *exactly* why I love organising by colour, it appeals to my crafty eye! Isn't that visually stunning??
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • elsien
    • By elsien 11th Sep 17, 11:13 PM
    • 15,064 Posts
    • 37,731 Thanks
    elsien

Does anybody else feel a bit smug when their donations go into the window display?
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    Yep. Although I have to say it's a very rare occurence. There's not many designer labels amongst my stuff.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Sep 17, 7:38 AM
    • 23,234 Posts
    • 48,545 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Why does everybody have a 'sports direct 'mug? Why can't you find one identical but without the slogan, more to the point? - they're perfect for a bucket of strong tea when I get in from work (no kettle there, so it's an essential medical device in my world. And self defence from the OH's).
    I agree - it's what I drink my tea from every morning. I wouldn't turn my nose up if I found another in a chazzer, I'd snap it up! Luckily I found an "Old Git" mug for 75p that holds 600ml (2 teabags, left in the mug) that suits me fine. The more oversize mugs, the better!

I think my Sports Direct mug came free with an online order (Amazon / Boots / BHS but I can't quite remember which). Sports Direct is not my kinda thang!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 17,643 Posts
    • 44,941 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I agree - it's what I drink my tea from every morning. I wouldn't turn my nose up if I found another in a chazzer, I'd snap it up! Luckily I found an "Old Git" mug for 75p that holds 600ml (2 teabags, left in the mug) that suits me fine. The more oversize mugs, the better!

I think my Sports Direct mug came free with an online order (Amazon / Boots / BHS but I can't quite remember which). Sports Direct is not my kinda thang!
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Sports Direct used to automatically add the mug to every on-line order (and charge you £1). You had to manually remove it if you didn't want it.
    I always removed it.
    No idea if they still do that.

I can't bear to drink tea or coffee from anything but a china mug.
    I have some lovely Denby mugs but they are too thick.
    Currently drinking my morning coffee out of a china Wallace & Gromit mug.
    • GreenBitterfly
    • By GreenBitterfly 12th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    GreenBitterfly
    Yes, I donated recently a Star Wars jigsaw and was pleased to see it form part of a Superhero/Sci-fi display in the window of my local Scope. I was glad I donated it, as obviously these odds and ends of donations from people came together to form a larger display.

About a week ago, I took a bag of donations to the local Cancer Research shop and overheard them looking through the bag at the counter. One of the workers/volunteers said 'they were obviously well looked after books', some of them were unread books, that I tried about 20 pages of and didn't like them! Either way, I'm definitely donating to them again!

Although I won't donate any Doctor Who books there as any time I have, they seem to be stuck on the shelf for weeks.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 12th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 4,099 Posts
    • 10,999 Thanks
    Hermia

Yup! That's *exactly* why I love organising by colour, it appeals to my crafty eye! Isn't that visually stunning??
    Originally posted by kboss2010
    It looks gorgeous, but I cannot imagine how long it takes to find the book you need! I once saw an organising guru on YouTube show off a bookshelf like this and she admitted she only read a few books a year so it didn't matter that it took ages to find the one she was looking for!
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 12th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 5,449 Posts
    • 24,790 Thanks
    thorsoak
    We have two charity shops on the little island I call home - one has turned very "picky" and hands off the goods - ask us if you want to inspect something - whilst the other is always grateful for anything - and is quite open about the fact that if they don't think it will sell, they will put it aside for the recyclers - but they always, always say "thank you for thinking of us". During the summer, they have giant book sales, which go down a bomb with local caravanners !
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    • 17,643 Posts
    • 44,941 Thanks
    Pollycat
    It looks gorgeous, but I cannot imagine how long it takes to find the book you need! I once saw an organising guru on YouTube show off a bookshelf like this and she admitted she only read a few books a year so it didn't matter that it took ages to find the one she was looking for!
    Originally posted by Hermia
    Yeah, me too.
    I may not have the books that VFM has but I can lay my hands on any book that I know I have on my shelves within seconds.
    As pretty as it looks, it's not for me
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,509Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin