Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 12th Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    • 484Posts
    • 1,044Thanks
    Arklight
    Charity shops. Their noses are turned upwards
    • 12th Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    Charity shops. Their noses are turned upwards 12th Aug 17 at 1:05 PM
    We're having a clear out and I've triaged everything into stuff I could eBay and it would be worth it, stuff I could eBay but can't be bothered as I wouldn't get that much, and stuff to throw away.

I'm putting all of group 1 and some selected items of group 2 together for charity donations and tried to take some out to local charity shops.

Cancer Research: Woman pulled a face at me when I walked in with the bag and said 'donations?' After continuing to be quite rude she then looked through it and decided that they wanted it after all (because it was decent as new department store gifts) and started thanking me. By that point I didn't really want to give it to her but, whatever, they won't get anything else.

St Barnabas House: Lady sees us unloading the car and rushes out. "We don't WANT any more donations." She says angrily, and points at a sign in their window, which does indeed say they don't want any donations and anyone found leaving donations outside their shop will be arrested for fly tipping.

I point out, as nicely as I feel able, that we are going to Cats Protection next door, and not trying to darken the door of her shop with things to sell.

Cats Protection are about as welcoming as an angry cat. They go through our stuff.

"We'll take that, but we can't sell THAT in here..." They continue to make out like they are doing us a massive favour even allowing us to be in there. Of course they want the stuff they want, it's good and I could sell it myself. Again I don't really want to leave it with them by then. They won't take any books or kids toys and are appalled that we think they might do.

Today we tried ringing around the remaining ones. Some will take 'some' things, but they clearly don't really want them, and would rather we just stayed away. Whoever we are, and whatever it is we've got.

I am flipping fuming. What the hell???

I still have a loft full of barely played with Early Learning Centre toys, a Mamas and Papas cot and travel cot, mint condition, and hundreds of perfectly good books and barely worn toddler and baby clothes. Do I just have to throw all this away?

When did charity shops stop accepting things to sell? Why are they so rude?
Page 6
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 19th Aug 17, 3:32 PM
    • 3,416 Posts
    • 10,313 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    I follow a local blogger who has cultivated a good relationship with the local charity shop volunteers.

She runs a business buying, renovating and selling vintage clothing. Nothing is wasted, she even cannibalises torn or faded clothing to repair something else.

She'll even have vintage suff that ends up in the rag bag - patchwork items only need small scraps or fabric.

The staff will keep stuff back for her.
    Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway...
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 19th Aug 17, 5:26 PM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 5,956 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    I once came across a charity shop that had a section labelled male authors and female authors. I did wonder how they classified George Eliot-female writing under man's name-or Nicky French-husband and wife team.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 19th Aug 17, 6:40 PM
    • 13,422 Posts
    • 36,574 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I once went into a charity shop that had two bookcases and one was labelled 'books for women' and the other 'books for men'. In the 'books for women' case was romance, chick lit, celebrity memoirs and cookery. In the 'books for men' case was crime and thrillers, literary fiction, history, science, politics and basically all books that were on serious subjects or required an education to read. The woman behind the desk said that soooo many women had complained, but the manager was very old-fashioned and wouldn't change it!
    Originally posted by Hermia
    OOOH! There would be "A Letter" to whoever was over that character complaining about such sexism in the 21st century and stating I would be telling everyone about this and refusing to go in the shop again until it was put right.

Hmmm...on the other hand - I might just go on the local Facebook page and expose that manageress/manager for being like that.....

On the other hand - I might just find a quiet hour or so and whip off the "Men/Women" labels and mix the books up to just be "People" books.

It would very much depend what mood I was in - but I would certainly do at least one of those things - rather than letting the manageress/manager get away with that.

Thinks - probably the Facebook route - and including a suitably-worded comment about "The manageress/manager is there to serve the customers. The customer is always right and I think it would be more appropriate to have a person in that position that is more responsive to customer feedback. I am astonished that one person is being allowed to implement a policy that is of their own personal making - rather than taking account of the customers wishes".
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 19-08-2017 at 6:45 PM.
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 19th Aug 17, 8:29 PM
    • 7,456 Posts
    • 7,838 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Pollycat, Vfm4me & Prinzess as one of 4 children of 2 librarians, fiction books (even our own books) were ordered by author
    Originally posted by Floss
    Letter by letter, or word by word?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • mmmsnow
    • By mmmsnow 19th Aug 17, 8:49 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 1,029 Thanks
    mmmsnow
    I used to volunteer in Barnados many years ago and some of the "donations" we got were horrifying. We had to wear gloves to sort through them.

To give you an idea: one bag was stuffed with soiled clothes and a pair of pants with a used sanitary towel still attached.

While this obviously doesn't excuse the rudeness with which your donations were met, it does give you an idea of what some of the volunteers are dealing with.

My last clear out went to my local Barnados and the lady was absolutely lovely. A few of my local charity shops have a lot of new items to sell so they seem to be cutting down on space for donations.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 19th Aug 17, 9:52 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 10,992 Thanks
    Hermia
    OOOH! There would be "A Letter" to whoever was over that character complaining about such sexism in the 21st century and stating I would be telling everyone about this and refusing to go in the shop again until it was put right.

Hmmm...on the other hand - I might just go on the local Facebook page and expose that manageress/manager for being like that.....

On the other hand - I might just find a quiet hour or so and whip off the "Men/Women" labels and mix the books up to just be "People" books.

It would very much depend what mood I was in - but I would certainly do at least one of those things - rather than letting the manageress/manager get away with that.

Thinks - probably the Facebook route - and including a suitably-worded comment about "The manageress/manager is there to serve the customers. The customer is always right and I think it would be more appropriate to have a person in that position that is more responsive to customer feedback. I am astonished that one person is being allowed to implement a policy that is of their own personal making - rather than taking account of the customers wishes".
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    It was bizarre. I wish I had had my phone on me 'cause I would have taken a pic. It was obvious the manager knew nothing about books because anyone who reads knows that women make up a huge chunk of crime/thriller readers.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th Aug 17, 9:02 AM
    • 13,422 Posts
    • 36,574 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    That was my very first thought - that I sometimes pick up a crime/thriller book when I fancy a bit of light reading. I certainly don't pick up chick lit books (read one or two early on and decided they are far too "fluffy" for me). I certainly frequently read books that come (more or less loosely) under a more "politics" type heading.

Cookbooks - well the keenest cook I know personally is male (an ex boyfriend that picked it up as an interest from me) and he certainly keeps a good weathereye out as to what cookbooks are being published. I'm currently awaiting a book from Amazon that he recommended.

I was wondering whether they do the same division in childrens books - as I recall reading the standard ones that both sexes read (eg "Janet and John" and "Famous Five" books). Beyond that - I was reading Biggles books and science fiction ones and I'm guessing this person would have classified them as "boys books".
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 20-08-2017 at 9:06 AM.
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • hunters
    • By hunters 20th Aug 17, 9:09 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    hunters
    In this non sexism world of yours why are you talking about a manageress/manager? Surely the person who runs the shop is the Manager.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th Aug 17, 9:13 AM
    • 13,422 Posts
    • 36,574 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It wasnt clear what sex the person who is managing the shop is. Therefore the use of both titles to cover all bases. Maybe some people would automatically picture both sexes when the word "manager" is used. Others would certainly picture a man.

Cup of coffee - and deep breath. No need to take offence at living in the 21st century.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 20-08-2017 at 9:15 AM.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 21st Aug 17, 11:16 AM
    • 3,556 Posts
    • 11,779 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    I used to volunteer in Barnados many years ago and some of the "donations" we got were horrifying. We had to wear gloves to sort through them.
    Originally posted by mmmsnow
    Yes, we must acknowledge that most charity shops unfortunately receive an awful lot of the following:

-torn and stained clothing
    -broken toys
    -another 10 copies of Fifty Shades Of Grey
    -another free Sports Direct mug
    -audio/video cassettes
    -massively out of date film/travel guide books

Obviously the volunteers should save their reaction to this until after the donor has left, through basic manners.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 21st Aug 17, 2:41 PM
    • 4,104 Posts
    • 28,295 Thanks
    tessie bear
    sorry in wrong thread xx
    Last edited by tessie bear; 21-08-2017 at 6:00 PM.
    on the brink...
    • SallySunshine
    • By SallySunshine 21st Aug 17, 5:08 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    SallySunshine
    i love charity shops, but am now getting slightly overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of clothes they have in stock.
    Sometimes If i see an item that is torn or damaged I point it out politely to the staff, as perhaps it was missed when pricing, stocking etc.
    Twice I have been spoken to quite rudely when mentioning this, other times thanked for pointing it out.
    I do this because now I've started wearing specs I can see so more closely and clearly, having in the past bought something without inspecting it thoroughly.

Saw a lovely brown handbag the other day, priced at £10, no brand and used, then noticed the shoulder strap was badly worn, pointed it out to manageress and got a bit of a mouthful that all the items were closely inspected before being put out for sale.

Nearly offered to send her and her staff to Specsavers!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 21st Aug 17, 5:17 PM
    • 17,611 Posts
    • 44,834 Thanks
    Pollycat
    i love charity shops, but am now getting slightly overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of clothes they have in stock.
    Sometimes If i see an item that is torn or damaged I point it out politely to the staff, as perhaps it was missed when pricing, stocking etc.
    Twice I have been spoken to quite rudely when mentioning this, other times thanked for pointing it out.
    I do this because now I've started wearing specs I can see so more closely and clearly, having in the past bought something without inspecting it thoroughly.

Saw a lovely brown handbag the other day, priced at £10, no brand and used, then noticed the shoulder strap was badly worn, pointed it out to manageress and got a bit of a mouthful that all the items were closely inspected before being put out for sale.

Nearly offered to send her and her staff to Specsavers!
    Originally posted by SallySunshine
    I saw a lovely Mantaray dress yesterday in BHF that fit me perfectly and was in gorgeous autumnal shades. I have lots of opaque tights in different colours that would have gone with it.
    I came out of the changing room and was giving it a final check over before paying for it when I noticed that it had a hole in the fabric at the neckline.

I took it to the till, put it on the counter and said 'I was going to have this but it's got a hole in it' and walked out before he could offer it to me at a reduced price.

It would have been very easy for the staff to miss it though - I'm mega-picky.

SallySunshine - she would have got a mouthful back if I'd been the customer.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 21st Aug 17, 5:57 PM
    • 13,422 Posts
    • 36,574 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I would have also had my say back if I'd been told off for pointing out defects.

I've been too trusting with 2 charity shop purchases recently - and discovered they were faulty when I got them back home. So will certainly be inspecting very closely in future and pointing it out to the staff if I do spot a fault. I will not be expecting a "mouthful" back for doing so
    • maisie06
    • By maisie06 21st Aug 17, 9:55 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    maisie06
    Same around my way - Charity shops bordering on rude, you'd think we were offering old rags full of Ebola virus!! I just advertise stuff on local facebook groups now - free to good home, if it doesn't go within a few days off to the tip it goes....although the local branch of the Salvation Army were very grateful for good quality kids clothes, books and toys, maybe try them or another church group, they distribute things to people in need.
    • pleasedelete
    • By pleasedelete 22nd Aug 17, 6:00 AM
    • 2,113 Posts
    • 3,537 Thanks
    pleasedelete
    When a relative of mine died and his wife was downsizing the Salvation Army came. He had lots of long johns, vests , big underpants (style he wasn't a fat man) and cotton pyjamas which we had set aside for rags however they specifically asked if they could have them as their older clients use them and they were very hard to get.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 22nd Aug 17, 2:30 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    I was speechless. She was one of those women with a face like she had been sucking lemons so I assume she was just a miserable old wotsit. As someone else said upthread I also read mainly on my commute. I love the way people who presumably don't read assume all bookworms spend hours every day reading whilst lying on a chaise longue!
    Originally posted by Hermia
    When I worked full time and commuted by train I read much more than I do now, it was a great way to pass a dull day after day journey. It's just downright rude to comment like that, even if she was (wrongly) thinking it!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Sep 17, 11:34 AM
    • 982 Posts
    • 5,003 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I went into a PDSA shop this morning and the staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. I haven't been in a CS in a while, but I was pleasantly surprised.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 7th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Mnd
    We donate to our local cancer hospice shop and have never had a problem, my wife has a very creative way to boost their fundraising by seeing her stuff on display and buying it back! I kid you not!
    Last edited by Mnd; 07-09-2017 at 8:22 PM. Reason: Speling
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 11th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 1,770 Thanks
    purpleybat
    i took lots of stuff to our local BHF shop the other week. I was aware lots was quite old fashioned and lots suitable for ragging only so I washed the lot and told them when I dropped it off it was unfortunately a bit of a mixed bag.
    last week when I took shoes and bits down I was chatting to the manageress (lovely lady) and she told me about half of previous lot went for recycling due to the style. I fully understood this cos it was stuff i'd hung onto for years. what surprised me was that she thanked me for them being washed, I thought (until then and reading this page) that everyone washed donations.
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

344Posts Today

4,370Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin