Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • OXFORD_SMOGGY
    • By OXFORD_SMOGGY 11th Aug 17, 10:18 PM
    • 598Posts
    • 129Thanks
    OXFORD_SMOGGY
    Wireless adapter on/off problem with Dell XPS 12
    • 11th Aug 17, 10:18 PM
    Wireless adapter on/off problem with Dell XPS 12 11th Aug 17 at 10:18 PM
    I have a dell xps 12 ultrabook.

Recently the wireless network adapter has been turning on and off sporadically so I am without internet for up to 4 minutes sometimes even if I reset the adapter..

I also have the mouse freeze when I plug the laptop charging cable in.

The laptop is about 3 years old.

I have followed all google videos running on max performance to avoid the adapter turning off and disabled/re-enabled and also updated all drivers/software etc I even bought a wireless usb external wireless adapter to check it wasn't the hardware and that turns on and off also. I have even done a complete fresh wipe and reinstall of the whole computer. There is just something underlying that is turning it on and off.

I literally cant find anything else on the internet I can do now, any ides as to how I can get working appreciated.

The only thing I can think of is maybe it is because the battery is old/past it!
    Printing money since 2008
Page 2
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 2nd Sep 17, 11:32 PM
    • 9,882 Posts
    • 7,361 Thanks
    GunJack
    Ah ok makes sense thanks, so which driver shall I reinstall,the windows 8 driver it came with?
    Originally posted by OXFORD_SMOGGY
    If dell/the wifi card manufacturer don't release an update, think I'd go back a couple of versions from the one you're currently using, usually available from the manufacturer's site. You may have to try several to find one that's stable on your machine.

A bit hit'n'miss I know, and you may or may not find one that works better than the current one..fingers crossed for you

Alternatively, you could uninstall the wifi card and delete the installed driver, reboot the machine and it should install an earlier one on reboot...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • OXFORD_SMOGGY
    • By OXFORD_SMOGGY 2nd Sep 17, 11:57 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    OXFORD_SMOGGY
    " you could uninstall the wifi card and delete the installed driver, reboot the machine and it should install an earlier one on reboot..."

i believe ive tried that already and still didnt work, will try again
    • were
    • By were 3rd Sep 17, 6:57 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    were
    Are you using a wireless mouse? if so remove the batteries and unplug the usb mouse transceiver and have another try with the pad or a wired mouse
    • OXFORD_SMOGGY
    • By OXFORD_SMOGGY 3rd Sep 17, 12:11 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    OXFORD_SMOGGY
    ah yes I have a wireless mouse but it still freezes on the touchpad
    • OXFORD_SMOGGY
    • By OXFORD_SMOGGY 3rd Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    OXFORD_SMOGGY
    the main problem is the wireless network really makes my pc unsusable
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 3rd Sep 17, 12:32 PM
    • 3,271 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    the main problem is the wireless network really makes my pc unsusable
    Sorry, not familar with XPS 12; does it have a USB connector? Worth spending £12? eg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIZA100-Wireless-Complies-Standard-Supports/dp/B074MD7V9K/
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • OXFORD_SMOGGY
    • By OXFORD_SMOGGY 3rd Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    OXFORD_SMOGGY
    Thanks Ive tried that alreay with a usb wireless connector still have the same problem even after uninstalling the internal one!
    • were
    • By were 4th Sep 17, 1:56 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    were
    is it still under dell warranty? Think you will end up formatting the device and re-installing windows.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 4th Sep 17, 8:51 AM
    • 3,271 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Yes, simpler - worth trying a windows 10 reset (with keep data option). This keeps docs/pics (but back them up anyway) but loses program installations; you'll know pretty quickly if it works when it asks for wifi details when it starts up again at the end of the reset.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 4th Sep 17, 10:46 AM
    • 3,022 Posts
    • 2,092 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Think you will end up formatting the device and re-installing windows.
    Originally posted by were
    Yes, simpler - worth trying a windows 10 reset (with keep data option). This keeps docs/pics (but back them up anyway) but loses program installations; you'll know pretty quickly if it works when it asks for wifi details when it starts up again at the end of the reset.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab

. I have even done a complete fresh wipe and reinstall of the whole computer. !

I think you can rule out software issues here, especially as you have tried a different interface (usb)
    This sounds like a motherboard issue to me .. when combined with the other issues you mention.
    As already asked above, is the machine under warranty ?
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • OXFORD_SMOGGY
    • By OXFORD_SMOGGY 6th Oct 17, 5:47 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    OXFORD_SMOGGY
    Ah jeez really, just so odd that it can work for an hour and then for 15 minutes not be useable and appears disabled in the configuration, very odd.

I have also noticed that if I restart my PC it does not restart sometimes, just tries to for ages unless I turn off and urn back on fully and manually
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 7th Oct 17, 10:30 AM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    Tarambor
    The touchpad not working when the charger is plugged in is usually caused by electrical noise/RFI aka "hash" produced by the switch mode power supply in the charger. I've experienced this with several customers laptops where they were using third party chargers bought from Ebay, the touch pad would work fine until the charger was plugged in and turned on. Given the level of interference produced it could also cause other issues with the laptop too. Do you have another charger you can try?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,146Posts Today

6,477Users online

Martin's Twitter