Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 10th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    • 5,748Posts
    • 19,859Thanks
    missymoo81
    Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary
    • 10th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary 10th Aug 17 at 4:56 PM
    Right debts are at an all time high! House is an all time mess!!!!! I'm going to put the two credit cards onto a single 0% card (hopefully) and try and pay it all off in 2 years! Which means hefty payments of £340 a month!! I CAN do it.
    And to get me started I am going to spend only £10 per week on shopping for the next 6 weeks!!!!! OH is away working so it's just me DD 4yr old May and DS 5yr old Roo to feed.

I have MASSES of food in all cupboards, freezers and fridge!

Along side this I need to get the house sorted, img my house is a mess, just stuff everywhere, Everything needs a good clean and a good declutter!

So who's with me?!

Will write a meal plan and shopping list for Monday later! And to keep myself accountable I will update daily!

Much love

Missy
    Last edited by missymoo81; 12-08-2017 at 8:02 AM.
Page 33
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 6th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Rachel24
    You do amazing missy! How much cash are you needing now? I need to find £50 by Tuesday but no idea where from! Got £12 pending on PA survey site but that’s it! Xx
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 6th Oct 17, 1:14 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    missymoo81
    I still need the £200 but I have the £18 from eBay so far and I will hopefully get more bids and I have £20 of stuff to take back to the shop so £162 to find! I will do this! I am adament!

Going to have a trawl through the freezer in the hope that some sausages magically appear which means I won't need to buy any. Hmmm wonder if I can make
    Seitan sausages?!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 6th Oct 17, 1:18 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 3,533 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Cheese sauce mix seems expensive for what is essentially milk, flour and cheese. Do you want an easy mac cheese recipe - DS1s school one specifically.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 6th Oct 17, 1:20 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Cheese sauce mix seems expensive for what is essentially milk, flour and cheese. Do you want an easy mac cheese recipe - DS1s school one specifically.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    It's the oxo one, my nan uses it and I think you get 300g for that and you need 4 desert spoonfuls for sauce.... So I thought it would work out good value, mind you I didn't check to see if you needed to add milk or not?!

And yes redo I do!!!!!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 6th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 3,533 Thanks
    redofromstart
    It might have powdered milk in it?

Macaroni cheese (from my sons school cookbook)
    100g macaroni
    100g cheddar, grated
    250ml semi skim milk
    25g plain flour
    25g margarine or butter

Cook the macaroni for 10 minutes until al dente
    Put the fat, flour and milk in a saucepan, bring it to a simmer, whisking all the time until it thickens. Add 75g grated cheese.
    Drain the macaroni and stir it into the cheese sauce, tip it all into a grill proof dish. Top with the rest of the grated cheese. Put it under a hot grill till the cheese and bubbling and golden brown.

You can add slices of tomato to the top, or crumbled up crispy bacon to the sauce (his favourite), or sweetcorn if you want it to be more of a balanced meal. If you add a little mustard you can reduce the cheese, or if you use a stronger flavoured cheese.

DS makes a double quantity, and eats it over two days but he is a hollow legged teenager. Also if i have the oven on anyway then it gets shoved in for ten minutes rather than mess about with the grill.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 6th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    missymoo81
    It might have powdered milk in it?

Macaroni cheese (from my sons school cookbook)
    100g macaroni
    100g cheddar, grated
    250ml semi skim milk
    25g plain flour
    25g margarine or butter

Cook the macaroni for 10 minutes until al dente
    Put the fat, flour and milk in a saucepan, bring it to a simmer, whisking all the time until it thickens. Add 75g grated cheese.
    Drain the macaroni and stir it into the cheese sauce, tip it all into a grill proof dish. Top with the rest of the grated cheese. Put it under a hot grill till the cheese and bubbling and golden brown.

You can add slices of tomato to the top, or crumbled up crispy bacon to the sauce (his favourite), or sweetcorn if you want it to be more of a balanced meal. If you add a little mustard you can reduce the cheese, or if you use a stronger flavoured cheese.

DS makes a double quantity, and eats it over two days but he is a hollow legged teenager. Also if i have the oven on anyway then it gets shoved in for ten minutes rather than mess about with the grill.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Thank you I really appreciate you taking the time to post that! I'm wondering if I can halve the cheese and put nutritional yeast in instead.....

Have finally managed to light a fire after 30 minutes of trying!!!! God I am rubbish at it!! But it's done and we won't freeze, the house is really cold today, the wind seems to be blowing in the wrong direction. I think I'll make the Cowboy stew pie for dinner tonight as fancy something hearty.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 6th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,461 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    It is cold today isn't it? I thought it was me being soft

I can't wait to collect the bigger two from school and get our pjs on
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 6th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    missymoo81
    It is cold today isn't it? I thought it was me being soft

I can't wait to collect the bigger two from school and get our pjs on
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    That's exactly what we're doing!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 6th Oct 17, 3:47 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Cowboy pie cooking on the woodburner . No sausages needed just used some mince. Have half ordinary and half sweet potato for the mash. Children are outside on the trampoline. After dinner in pyjamas for film and cuddles!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 6th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Cowboy pie
    Pie filling
    1.5 carrots
    1 green pepper
    1 small sweet potato
    Tin beans
    Tin tomatoes
    Half bag quorn mince
    2 small onions
    2 small handfuls of mushrooms
    Paprika
    Onion salt
    garlic powder
    Cumin

Pie top
    1 big sweet potato
    4 mes sized White potatoes
    Butter and milk for mashing
    Cheese for top

Chop and Bung all ingredients in a casserole dish, either slow cook or cook in oven.

Peel top potatoes, simmer when soft mash

When pie mix is soft and carrots are no longer hard. Top casserole dish with mash top with cheese and shove under grill!

Have just made this up so I hope it's nice as its still cooking!
    Last edited by missymoo81; 06-10-2017 at 5:14 PM.
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 6th Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 2,314 Thanks
    laurenh1
    I am definately going to try that. Sounds yummy. We walked into town this morning, stopped on the way for our free side from the kfc app & got Ted a sweetcorn. Then tesco & aldi for thr shop (ill write out later) . I had a small amount left in my weekly budget so got the kids hallowed outfit s and their haircuts and a few boxes of chocs on offer to put up for Xmas. We are film & cuddles tonight too
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 6th Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Sounds like a busy day Lauren! Am snuggled watching a film now, lovely!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 6th Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Changed meal plan slightly
    Macaroni cheese
    Seitan roast
    Gardeners Pie and mash
    Cowboy stew - scrummy
    Curry and flatbreads
    Pizza
    Pilaff

Have decided to make mango chutney as I haven't used my mango and I could make chutney and use it in my curry. I made cupcakes whilst the woodburner was on earlier and I'll cover them in jam and coconut for weekend snacks. Saved the last egg to Make banana and chocolate loaf too.

Cowboy pie was scrummy, May was a bit too tired to eat it though. We're still mid film but May is asleep on the sofa!
    Last edited by missymoo81; 06-10-2017 at 7:02 PM.
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 6th Oct 17, 8:45 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 2,314 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Mac n cheese went down a treat with my boys!!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 6th Oct 17, 10:26 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Oooh great! Looking forward to having Mac and cheese! Small ones are a bit pasta'd out at the moment. Mind you, they'd eat it every day if they could! More meals I'm going to add in to future meal plans (writing them down so I don't forget them)
    Nachos, as I think small peeps will like them.
    Tuna pasta bake
    Veggie fried rice
    Stir fry

Shopping list as no longer need sausages
    Chedder 1.49
    Milk £2.00
    Bananas 0.50p
    Bread 0.36p
    Cheese sauce £1.85
    Macaroni 56p
    Tomato puree 0.37p
    £7.13

Think I'm going to roll the rest of the money over to the following week and buy a sack of potatoes, I can get 10kg for £3.50. And we can make masses of meals:
    Gnocci
    Jacket spuds
    Cheese and potato pie
    Obviously something and mash
    Erm.... Trying to think of other things..... Oh soup is another one. I could make potato curry.....
    Last edited by missymoo81; 07-10-2017 at 5:28 AM.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 7th Oct 17, 12:31 AM
    • 514 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    The cowboy stew sounds lovely...I'll have to try that one.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3206 in Oct 17
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 7th Oct 17, 5:31 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    missymoo81
    The cowboy stew sounds lovely...I'll have to try that one.
    Originally posted by Honeysucklelou2
    Thanks honeysuckle
    Well children are awake! Very glad I didn't have a glass of wine last night as would be rather grumpy now!
    Not sure what to do this weekend, no plans at all!
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 7th Oct 17, 7:17 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 2,314 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Im sorry you had to get up so early hun, hard on your own with two kids sometimes. I am debating going to get Another clothes horse today as washing isnt drying fast enough on just the one while heating is off.house looks like a laundrette at the moment lol xx
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 7th Oct 17, 7:44 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Im sorry you had to get up so early hun, hard on your own with two kids sometimes. I am debating going to get Another clothes horse today as washing isnt drying fast enough on just the one while heating is off.house looks like a laundrette at the moment lol xx
    Originally posted by laurenh1
    Thanks Lauren, washing is the bane of my life!!!!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 7th Oct 17, 8:15 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Been thinking, think I will wait til OH is here before I buy potatoes as I don't think we'd eat them in time just me and the tiddlers. So the extra money from Monday's shopping I think will be spent on stocking up for Xmas. Going to get some chocolate coins as we always go through loads at Christmas! Actually thinking about Xmas food shopping, I always start now so there's never a huge expensive shop at the end of the year. But from last year I remember the 19p/ carrots and potatoes etc that I wish I could have taken advantage of.. So I'm going to try and work down the freezer and hopefully have room for such cheap veg.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,273Posts Today

5,955Users online

Martin's Twitter