Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 10th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    • 5,748Posts
    • 19,858Thanks
    missymoo81
    Missy's spend 10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary
    • 10th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    Missy's spend 10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary 10th Aug 17 at 4:56 PM
    Right debts are at an all time high! House is an all time mess!!!!! I'm going to put the two credit cards onto a single 0% card (hopefully) and try and pay it all off in 2 years! Which means hefty payments of 340 a month!! I CAN do it.
    And to get me started I am going to spend only 10 per week on shopping for the next 6 weeks!!!!! OH is away working so it's just me DD 4yr old May and DS 5yr old Roo to feed.

I have MASSES of food in all cupboards, freezers and fridge!

Along side this I need to get the house sorted, img my house is a mess, just stuff everywhere, Everything needs a good clean and a good declutter!

So who's with me?!

Will write a meal plan and shopping list for Monday later! And to keep myself accountable I will update daily!

Much love

Missy
    Last edited by missymoo81; 12-08-2017 at 8:02 AM.
Page 32
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Oct 17, 7:19 AM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 10,538 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Does anyone know how to make cheap easy macaroni cheese? And whether aldi sell macaroni pasta? Roo is asking for it as he loved it for school dinners yesterday!
    Originally posted by missymoo81
    Dried macaroni is cheap usually, or use value pasta instead with a cheese sauce mix, or make your own sauce with milk, flour and cheese. It can be expensive if you add too much cheese though

Well done on finding 10 in your handbag. I found 20 on the pavement once It was early in the morning, pouring with rain and there was nobody around. I thought well if I don't rescue it it will disintegrate. It was one of the happiest days of my life
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = 818/Emergency Fund 2 = 192.63
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 5th Oct 17, 11:35 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Thanks for the macaroni recipe. I wondered whether it was cheaper to buy sauce granules as cheese is so expensive..... Will have a think, will add broccoli to it too for greens. Hmmm I could made a sauce out of butternut squash and add some cheese to it.... Healthier and should be tasty, might try that.....

Another - on money today is my third no spend day but have just checked my bank and the money I spent on coffees has only just been taken so am 10 down on what I thought. That's karma for me finding the 10 lol.

Love your theory hairy. A disintegrated 20 would have done no one no good lol.

Ok finish work at 5 need to drive home and cook tea, put small ones to bed for 6.30. Do a workout and then settle down to watch bake off as I missed it. Going to write lists too. Hoping I can eek milk out until Monday too but still have 4 pints. Wondering what to do at the weekend for free.... Might be bikes to the park and picking up Autumn stuff to make Autumn pictures and baking.....
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 5th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Things I need to do in Oct:
    Look into rainbows and dancing for May
    Look into football for Roo
    Look into swimming for both
    eBay more look into selling amounts

With school trips and tooth fairies etc I still need to find 200!!!! Trying to think of higher price things I can sell on eBay next week.... Hmmmm thinking caps on
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 5th Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,459 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    We are obviously dairy free, I make 'cheese' sauce with nutritional yeast.

IOU letter from the tooth fairy? Mine don't get money but get a nice letter with a choice of an activity to do. Explain to school and ask them to wait until payday? Afterall they can't leave them behind so even if you didn't pay they'd still go.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 5th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    We are obviously dairy free, I make 'cheese' sauce with nutritional yeast.

IOU letter from the tooth fairy? Mine don't get money but get a nice letter with a choice of an activity to do. Explain to school and ask them to wait until payday? Afterall they can't leave them behind so even if you didn't pay they'd still go.
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    I have nutritional yeast but don't find it all that cheesey..?! Prob just me. Scraped together 1 for Roo, and bless he was so happy with it, that the tooth fairy actually came. I'll have a think about the school trip. Thanks HI
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 5th Oct 17, 12:34 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,459 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I don't find it as strong as real cheese but the kids are happy with it. and I cut value pasta into smaller pieces when making macaroni cheese.

Glad roo was happy, we only do the notes because I actually never have change/cash So it started a 'tradition' it has choices like sweets at the shop/a pocket money toy from the supermarket (1)/a picnic in a den etc.

Are you looking into the clubs to all run together? I'm so unsure what to do with mine we find it hard to fit everything in just now but DS wants to go to scouts (or which ever it is for an 8 year old) but the nearest one doesn't finish till 8pm! Which I think's late on a school night
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 5th Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    I'm really finding it hard! And the cost is another thing but having s boy and a girl is tricky too. Going to try street dancing I think as that is before school. We do beavers now and multi-sports, but that is an after school club, I think it's going to overflow onto Saturday mornings which to be honest I don't really want to do but I don't know what else I can do. Swimming in going to see if they can go together. On what day though I don't know!!!! It's crazy!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 5th Oct 17, 1:49 PM
    • 12,242 Posts
    • 216,162 Thanks
    greenbee
    Don't over commit them - they're only little!

My niece is currently (Y1) refusing to do ANY after school activities. She did too much last year (gymnastics, ballet, tap, stagecoach, swimming) and has rebelled. My nephew does hockey & rugby by choice this term. Last year he tried art club and science club.

They have been doing swimming lessons, but we're going to take them out and start taking them ourselves again (I taught them both to swim) as they're not getting much out of the sessions apart from being exhausted after work.

Maybe pick one evening where they can do something they like in the same location to avoid wearing you out. And bankrupting you.

ETA - clubs before/after school on the days that you work might be a good idea... as long they're at school so it makes your day easier as you don't have to rush to work and back.
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 5th Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    laurenh1
    You have inspired me to do Mac and Cheese for my boys for tea tomorrow nights !!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 5th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Thanks Greenbee, I know, I'm going to consider things, I think they can do some things at the same time. So I will see what I can do. Thanks for the advice X

Yaaay Lauren, glad to have inspired you!

Ok so far today:
    Children has banana and shreddies for breakfast
    I had a banana and some biscuits
    Lunch children had school dinner, I had left over Bolognese and cake
    Dinner children will have pasta bake and I'm not sure what I'll have....

Thanks everyone for reading and posting, it really means a lot x
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 5th Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 3,487 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Agree with Greenbee on the activities, I exhausted me and them dashing around so none of us enjoyed it. I used to let them choose one club.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 5th Oct 17, 6:50 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Everyone's fed and everyone's in bed, including me! Don't know what's wrong with me lately, just don't want to sit downstairs on my own I guess. I used to just sit and have s glass of wine or two but then that was in the summer. And it's not at all summery now. Another NSD. Hope you're all
    Ok.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 10,538 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I agree that one or two activities each at the most is best for all.

Mine did swimming lessons together on Saturday morning. Some of their friends went too so I could enjoy a chat with the other mums

Cubs and beavers were at different times but on the same evening in the same venue, so only used up one evening. Apart from that they did nothing on the other evenings as DH and I rebelled, not to mention the cost.

After a couple of years they got bored with beavers and cubs and all did taekwondo instead.

It's good for kids to do nothing sometimes as it develops their imaginations .
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 5th Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    I get what you're all saying, and I really appreciate your comments. And I don't want to overstretch me or them, that's the last thing I want. The trouble is they've asked to go to these activities. But if they both do the 2 things they want to do each, along with me wanting them to do swimming, (as we live by the sea and rivers, so it's more of a safety thing as I can't swim either, nor can OH!) It's too many things to fit In.... As they go to after school club one day as I have to work and MIL has them another day as I work. It's just really hard to find any sort of time! 'sigh' life with kids is one big juggling act. Feeling slightly stressed with money and work and trying to organise after school stuff, also have 4 parties for small ones to go to. It is just manic! And breathe. Just looking at shopping for Monday. Should really meal plan first, am struggling though as am so tired, i just don't feel like cooking much.
    Last edited by missymoo81; 05-10-2017 at 7:37 PM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Oct 17, 7:59 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 10,538 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You could always suggest they choose one activity plus swimming each, try it for six months or so and then if they don't love it try their other choice. I agree with you that swimming is very important.

You sound like you need to take an evening off and rest missy.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 5th Oct 17, 8:46 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ok meals for the weekend and next week:

Breakfast: shreddies/toast/porridge
    Lunch: tuna/cheese sandwiches or left overs with homemade cakes
    Dinners:
    Macaroni cheese
    Seitan roast
    Pie and mash
    Cowboy stew
    Curry and flatbreads
    Pizza
    omlette and chips

Have been inspired by bake off with the pies!
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 5th Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,459 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Oooh whats cowboy stew?

I agree with the others please dont try do too much x
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 6th Oct 17, 7:22 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Oooh whats cowboy stew?

I agree with the others please dont try do too much x
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    It's more like a pie, I've just made it up, saisages, beans, tinned tomatoes, paprika, sweet potato all cut into chunks and bunged in the slow cooker, then topped with cheesey mash! Mmm mmm
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 6th Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ok so shopping list I think will be something like:

Chedder 1.49
    Milk 2.00
    Bananas 0.50p
    Bread 0.36p
    Cheese sauce mix1.85
    Macaroni 56p
    Sausages 1.18

We still have loads of windfall apples and pears. And carrots and frozen broccoli and tons of beans etc for veg. So should be under this week, maybe if I don't get tempted in to spend the other 2, which is likely in Aldi! But I won't go over!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 6th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    eBay sales are up to 18, not great but something at least. Paid for school trip, have no cash whatsoever now!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,655Posts Today

7,325Users online

Martin's Twitter