Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 10th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    • 5,823Posts
    • 19,628Thanks
    missymoo81
    Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary
    • 10th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary 10th Aug 17 at 4:56 PM
    Right debts are at an all time high! House is an all time mess!!!!! I'm going to put the two credit cards onto a single 0% card (hopefully) and try and pay it all off in 2 years! Which means hefty payments of £340 a month!! I CAN do it.
    And to get me started I am going to spend only £10 per week on shopping for the next 6 weeks!!!!! OH is away working so it's just me DD 4yr old May and DS 5yr old Roo to feed.

I have MASSES of food in all cupboards, freezers and fridge!

Along side this I need to get the house sorted, img my house is a mess, just stuff everywhere, Everything needs a good clean and a good declutter!

So who's with me?!

Will write a meal plan and shopping list for Monday later! And to keep myself accountable I will update daily!

Much love

Missy
    Last edited by missymoo81; 12-08-2017 at 8:02 AM.
Page 27
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 1st Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Oh yes she is. I am not.
    I am a model of sensibleness and frugality
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Even from my short time reading your diary, I'm not sure that's true......
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 1st Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    laurenh1
    I agree that this is the hardest time for hanging washing inside. Mine takes ageees to dry because heating is off.

My LO is currently tucked up with my complaininh of ear ache, going tp book the dr tomorrow as its either not shifting or hes having my life sp he can get it with me!!
    Im aiming for 5 no spend days this week and anything i dont spend will go on xmas gifts, here is hoping xx
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 1st Oct 17, 10:07 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    Wow, Missy, your diary is so popular!
    I just wanted to say thank you for the pointer about the jam recipe, I googled it and found it. Trust HFW to do away with fiddly equipment and get down to the serious business of enjoying fruit and veg!
    Also I do echo the praise for dehumidifiers when it comes to drying laundry. I used to have a small, Victorian built basement flat with no obvious place to dry laundry, and no space (or money!) for a tumble dryer. I borrowed an old dehumidifier and cut my laundry drying time down by about 66%, and also saved my flat. I was getting mould and the walls felt physically damp in areas I regularly dried laundry. The cost of running a dehumidifier can be offset by not having to spend out on damp treatments in the long run (oh, and ironing men's t-shirts is indeed a total waste of electricity )

Loving your diary, I popped in midday and was inspired to have a spring clean!
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 1st Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 3,827 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Loving this laundry drying discussion Wet laundry all over my house too and now I'm wishing I could buy a heated dryer and a dehumidifier .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt at highest = £58,766
    Current debt = £16,234, Emergency Fund = £200
    Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 1st Oct 17, 10:23 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hey Lauren, sorry little one is poorly bless him. Roo used to get earache all the time and end up with an ear infection. Poor thing. Like the NSD challenge, I'm wondering if I can do the same.... I will try and have 5 too! How's the grocery budget looking? Had some Xmas presents arrive today! Actually feeling on top of things, and was chuffed as the doll I ordered for May had gone up another £3 after I ordered it!

Hey LavenderBee, I do so love your name, makes me think of summer. Bless your lovely words, that makes me so happy that I've inspired someone. I don't think my diary is necessarily popular, I just ramble on, a lot!

I've been inspired by the lovely Hidden and mummytogirls to eBay this evening, have just listed 8 things and already have 2 watchers, result! Fingers crossed they sell as have just realised I have a super expensive month. With 3 family birthdays and 3 children's parties and at least 2 meals out for birthday celebrations. It will cost a good £100 for all of that!!! It's scary! So hopefully eBay can make up at least a little bit of the shortfall. Was really hoping to get curtains and a rug I've had my eye on. But they're super expensive and it's a super expensive month so may well have to wait a while.
    So didn't get all of my jobs done today that I wanted but I am chuffed that I was inspired by so many diaries on here to actually get stuff done!
    Tomorrow I have bits todo but will write a list tomorrow
    Last edited by missymoo81; 01-10-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 1st Oct 17, 10:24 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Loving this laundry drying discussion Wet laundry all over my house too and now I'm wishing I could buy a heated dryer and a dehumidifier .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    I know, I have the I wants too hairy! So sad the things I lust after these days. A dehumidifier and a heated airer.....
    Last edited by missymoo81; 01-10-2017 at 10:39 PM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 1st Oct 17, 10:30 PM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 3,827 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It is very sad
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt at highest = £58,766
    Current debt = £16,234, Emergency Fund = £200
    Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 1st Oct 17, 11:24 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    It's a long shot, but you might find something on Freecycle, or something cheap on Schpok to help with your laundry woes? Dehumidifier or an extra airer?

Laundry is my least favourite chore - ever. I will consider any measure to make it better (apart from paying to have it done of course)

Oh and Missy, you also inspired me to pull my finger out and get back in the discount supermarkets. I used to live on less than a tenner a week too (it was only me, but equally I had no supplies/money for supplies) - I had a lot of lentil dahls, economy soup, porridge and vegetable stir fries too!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 2nd Oct 17, 5:29 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    It's a long shot, but you might find something on Freecycle, or something cheap on Schpok to help with your laundry woes? Dehumidifier or an extra airer?

Laundry is my least favourite chore - ever. I will consider any measure to make it better (apart from paying to have it done of course)

Oh and Missy, you also inspired me to pull my finger out and get back in the discount supermarkets. I used to live on less than a tenner a week too (it was only me, but equally I had no supplies/money for supplies) - I had a lot of lentil dahls, economy soup, porridge and vegetable stir fries too!
    Originally posted by LavenderBee
    Yay lavender, I'm off to aldi today and Asda which I haven't been to for about 5 years so that should make a nice change. Obv I don't need a lot but it's nice to look. Thanks for the idea, I'm going to have a look on Gumtree in a mo for drying stuff. OH will come home and I'll be a drying ninja!

Meant to say lavender sorry I didn't post the jam recipe, I typed it all
    Out and lost my post then told myself I'd do it later and then promptly forgot! So glad you found it though. Just reminded me, I really need to stew those apples, have a glut of pears too, any ideas? Is there such a thing as pear chutney? Will ask my friend Google shortly!

So have been woken up by May singing!!!! It's far too early for that!!!!! Bless her! I didn't get to sleep until late as was on here until late

Have lots to do today, so list reads like this:
    Fill out reading books
    Do reading with Roo
    Do letters with May
    Get everyone to school on time
    Write envelope and post
    Hassle nutrition guy for figures
    Do tiny bit of work send emails
    Hassle friend for email address
    Unload DW
    Put on washing X 2 and hang
    Check fridge etc for ingredients for dinners
    Meet friend
    Go to aldi
    Have coffee
    Go to Asda
    Try and actually put some clothes away!
    Go to Bootcamp

Wooohoo have one bid on eBay stuff already!!! Yaaay
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 2nd Oct 17, 6:18 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ok positives from the weekend:
    I changed all of the beds and washed and dried the most of the sheets
    I washed and dried and ironed all uniforms
    I did 5 loads of washing
    I built a den
    I visited grandparents
    I visited parents
    I unloaded and loaded DW several times
    I didn't run out of milk!
    I showered the children
    I did a good workout
    Hmmmm can't think of anything else
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 2nd Oct 17, 7:22 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Wash load on!!!!

Having an argument with myself, do I drive 5 minutes out of my way so around 20 mins detour in total, to poss save £2.00 on bananas in Tesco.....not sure....
    Last edited by missymoo81; 02-10-2017 at 7:32 AM.
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 2nd Oct 17, 7:57 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    laurenh1
    So far i have spent

2.49 on coffee
    1.49 milk
    1.00 on mini cheddar

So 4.98 so far!! I am hoping not to need tp go again until friday when I will need fruit more milk & nappies. I have managed to sell some things on face book which ill put towards halloween costumes for the boys. If i cant stick yo budget while hubs away I never can.
    Have you any suggestions for milk reducing with Littlies? I go through a bottle a day!! Xx
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 2nd Oct 17, 7:58 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 2,044 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Are you more likely to do impulse purchases in T? I would find that far harder to resist in a bigger store, too easy to just look while you are in and then self -justify a need or a bargain.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 2nd Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 2,044 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Have you any suggestions for milk reducing with Littlies? I go through a bottle a day!! Xx
    Originally posted by laurenh1
    I had the other extreme, one who hated milk and one who didn't eat but would have milk so was unrestricted

It depends how old they are - under two they should be on whole milk iirc, over two semi-skim. I might be wrong though, might be over 5 A lot of people on old style swear by buying whole milk and then adding water to make it into semi skimmed. Might be worth checking the guidelines to see how much milk they should have. Offer water as a drink instead, its what they will get at school after all. Glass of water first and then a glass of milk.

HTH
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 2nd Oct 17, 9:15 AM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 23,194 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    See that's some impressive list of positives and things done. Even if you'd like to have done more x

Have a lovely day x
    DFW £1388.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £511.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 2nd Oct 17, 10:11 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Thanks hidden X

And well done on the spends Lauren. Mine have hot milk in the morning and milk on cereal but have cheese etc. We only go through about 10pts a week. Try watering whole milk down a little if they are also getting their calcium etc from cheese and yogurt. Mine are perfectly healthy and we've had stints if veganism too do not using cows milk at all!

Have had the worst morning, shouting. And everything taking 4 times longer than it should, ended up bawling at May for no good reason. Well we were late and she wouldn't stand still for me to do her hair. Did my make up in 2 minutes flat and went to school with the worst hair style ever as I hadn't put mousse on it! I have a mass of curly hair and I like wild if I don't take it with something! Forgot Mays book so had to walk all the way back again after I had dropped them off.

Right have sent my work email and have hassled nutrition guy, washing is on line (go me) and I have hung shopping bags, trousers to take back and letter to post on door so I won't forget them. Need to get out of the house, feeling a bit wobbly today about being on my own without the children.... Trouble is this is usually when I satisfy myself by spending.... Need to curb it Ss have no spare cash with all these birthdays etc.

Going to get fuel, walk into MR T with 50p so just enough for reduced bananas if any. Then go and see my friend. Think I may need to start doing a fitness class or something on a Monday, really hate this quiet :,(
    Last edited by missymoo81; 02-10-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 2nd Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 5,234 Posts
    • 17,523 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Sounds like a fun morning Missy

Have a lovely day x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7250.00 Cap 1: £529.05 BC: £5196.94

AFD 0/10 NSD 0/10 LTW 0/10

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 2nd Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    You'll think I'm insane, but if I want exercise, have time by myself to do it (sadly no kids for us) and need a few bits from the shops and don't want to come out with a trolley-load, I run to the shops There's nothing like the fact that I'm going to have to run home uphill with anything I buy (in a backpack!) to make me put down any non-essentials! That way:

Workout achieved
    Shopping done
    No unnecessary spending

Bananas are probably not the best fruit to do this with though

Have a lovely day, Missy. I give you a round of applause for two family visits on the weekend! That's as much as I struggle with in a month!

Just out of curiosity, what's the energy app your OH uses?
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 2nd Oct 17, 1:47 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    Oh and pears - how about drying them? I've read various ways on drying fruit without special equipment (all you need is an old Fairy Washing Up bottle and some sticky back plastic... no, wait, that's Blue Peter!) but not actually tried any out. Dried pears are delicious and would make a great sweet treat for the small ones (and not so small ones too)
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 2nd Oct 17, 1:51 PM
    • 12,162 Posts
    • 215,458 Thanks
    greenbee
    How about poaching pears as they then freeze well? They're nice done with cinnamon in the poaching liquid?

LB - I like the idea of running to/from the shop, but I think the backpack would annoy me too much... so I end up going for a run, not bothering shopping and then having to be creative with what I've got!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,436Posts Today

6,402Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin