Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ld123
    • By ld123 9th Aug 17, 5:52 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 6Thanks
    ld123
    County court claim for SIP ticket
    • 9th Aug 17, 5:52 PM
    County court claim for SIP ticket 9th Aug 17 at 5:52 PM
    Hello,

I am hoping that posting a new thread is correct - I have read through the newbies thread and have come to this conclusion as my case has got to a county claims court!

I have received a County court claim letter stating I owe £242 for breaching the terms of parking outside my apartment last year. However, I have always been paying £50 a month (for approximately a year) via the mobile app for my parking, which is why I ignored all previous communications regarding this (stupid in hindsight, I know)

The only thing I can imagine that may have happened is I missed the deadline to renew the monthly lease (this would have been by a matter of minutes, no more than an hour or two) or a malfunction with the app. I am sure I will be able to provide evidence from the monthly payments via my bank statements.

The charges are £167 for the claim, £25 court fee and £50 legal representatives costs. The car park has since been closed (around 3 months now) and I have had to find alternative parking.

The car is a company car which I am the keeper - letters have been going to my parents as I presume my work have this address registered so I don't often get them in time either; I believe they contacted my workplace who ignored the previous letters too. I just wondered if I should go ahead and pay this fine or if I can challenge it?

Any advice would be much appreciated, I don't want to give too much away on here as advised previously so if I have missed any vital information please let me know! And apologies if I should not have started a new thread - I couldn't see anything about county claims court, only a brief mention of CCJs?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by ld123; 13-08-2017 at 8:51 PM.
Page 3
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Sep 17, 1:45 PM
    • 49,978 Posts
    • 63,380 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I would genuinely much rather pay a small fee to have the case over and done with
    So would most people - the thought is quite scary and intimidating as well as a waste of a day - but seeing as that is not possible, you must defend. You are most likely to have to appear at a hearing, yes. The only other thing Gladstones are sometimes doing, is discontinuing much later on than this, just before a hearing (same week) in which case you can then claim costs by writing to the local Judge.

But yep, most go to a hearing and 99% of people coached here, win.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,337Posts Today

7,310Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin