Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alan Cross
    • By Alan Cross 9th Aug 17, 5:42 PM
    • 1,124Posts
    • 1,117Thanks
    Alan Cross
    Low/zero alcohol 'wines'... any good?
    • 9th Aug 17, 5:42 PM
    Low/zero alcohol 'wines'... any good? 9th Aug 17 at 5:42 PM
    I noticed the other day that my local Tesco had a shelf given over to a range of these drinks. For some time I've been trying to cut down on my alcohol intake and have been wondering whether something of this sort would come along.

A couple of years ago I switched my beer drinking, small as it was, to things like Beck's Blue and Bavaria which I find quite authentic as regards taste.

The last time I tried an alcohol free wine however, admittedly many years ago when the technology maybe wasn't as good as today's, the thing was absolutely awful. It's always struck me that, far more than with beers, the alcohol content of wine is a strategic part of its taste.

Can anyone say whether they think these drinks are any good to the taste? Someone must be buying the things..!
Page 2
    • Farway
    • By Farway 17th Aug 17, 2:37 PM
    • 5,650 Posts
    • 7,376 Thanks
    Farway

I thought the purple stuff they add was supposed to make it undrinkable anyway.
    Originally posted by AlisonW
    I think straining through bread removes the purple
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 17th Aug 17, 3:02 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    AlisonW
    I think straining through bread removes the purple
    Originally posted by Farway
    Thanks for the tip.
    • pricew1970
    • By pricew1970 18th Aug 17, 12:17 AM
    • 966 Posts
    • 1,037 Thanks
    pricew1970
    There's a tramp sitting on my doorstep trying to waste his time
    With his mentholated sandwich, he's a walking clothes line
    And here comes the bishop's daughter on the other side
    And she looks a trifle jealous, she's been an outcast all her life
    • Teg-Rem
    • By Teg-Rem 18th Aug 17, 6:06 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    Teg-Rem
    my daughter tried the new alcohol free wine in A**i the other week and took it back said it was *** awful. She isn't supposed to drink too much because she has weak bones but says she would rather not drink at all or carry on but drink less. I would love to find something nice that isn't alcohol but so far have had no luck, will keep an eye out the same as you for replies, believe the recent offering from te*** is supposed to be good though ie the finest prosecco.
    • Datchet
    • By Datchet 6th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Datchet
    I think that most low/ alcohol free wines don't taste great owing to the process of booze removal. I go further on low and zero beers... They taste AWFUL!!

On the wine front, you can pick up 6-9% proper wines from Germany & SA that are properly fermented to a lesser strength. There are French wines ciders and perrys that are 3-5% but are very sweet.

Or just normal stuff in a spritz
    "Is it that the future is so uncertain, the present so traumatic that we find the past so secure? " Spike Milligan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,105Posts Today

5,091Users online

Martin's Twitter