Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gizmo21
    • By Gizmo21 9th Aug 17, 5:42 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Gizmo21
    Robinson Way
    • 9th Aug 17, 5:42 PM
    Robinson Way 9th Aug 17 at 5:42 PM
    Hi, we took a bank loan out in 2000 and to cut a long story short we fell into arrears. My husband tried to use PPI as he was (and still is) adamant he ticked the box when he took the loan out, but when he phoned up about it in about 2001 they said he hadn't ticked the PPI box. We left it and didnt pay the debt for a while, but for the past 10+ years (not sure exactly how many) we've been paying a little amount each month. Our debt has been sold to about 3 different companies in this time. Yesterday we received a letter from Robinson Way informing us that the debt has now been sold to them and to contact them with a payment offer. The debt had just fallen under £2000 but they've gone and hiked it back up to over £2000 Then today we received an expenditure form to fill in. Previous debt collection companies just carried on taking our usual payment. So why are Robinson Way different? Also I've been reading on google about asking for the original CCA, where would we stand on this as the loan was taken out in 2000? I'm not really clued up on all this to be honest and I'm sorry if I come across as confusing or stupid. I suffer from anxiety and the whole thought of arguing with them and them sending threatening letters terrifies me!
Page 2
    • Max and sasha
    • By Max and sasha 4th Oct 17, 9:33 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Max and sasha
    No Gizmo they can't start a court claim without having the proper paper work I.e the cca.
    What fatbelly was saying is ignore the letters unless they find the correct CCA

Max
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 4th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 11,646 Posts
    • 8,779 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Yes they can start a court claim, but you can stay it. This is part of the Rankine judgement - starting a court claim is not considered to be enforcement.

I'm saying ignore letters and phone calls unless they start a court claim
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th Oct 17, 10:05 PM
    • 12,691 Posts
    • 12,033 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Starting a claim is a whole different ball game to obtaining a CCJ.

Lack of a credit agreement would normally nip it in the bud.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Gizmo21
    • By Gizmo21 5th Oct 17, 8:46 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Gizmo21
    Thanks all It's a huge help knowing I can keep commenting and you're all there for advice.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 5th Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 12,691 Posts
    • 12,033 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Companies, individuals, if they start a court claim, they must provide evidence on request.

These rules apply to everyone no matter who you are.

The legal system, which may not be perfect, still requires evidence to be produced.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Gizmo21
    • By Gizmo21 7th Oct 17, 1:18 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Gizmo21
    Ah good. Thanks Sourcrates
    • Gizmo21
    • By Gizmo21 25th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Gizmo21
    Received another letter from them.
    "we have sent you a number of letters and tried to telephone you, but your account remains unpaid. The full balance is due but we can now offer you a reduction to the balance you owe to settle the account. We can even discuss you repaying this reduced balance by affordable installments"

Still nothing about the documents we requested. I like their use of "we have sent you a number of letters", they've sent one letter!
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 25th Oct 17, 6:24 PM
    • 11,646 Posts
    • 8,779 Thanks
    fatbelly
    One is a number.

So is zero
    • Gizmo21
    • By Gizmo21 25th Oct 17, 7:14 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Gizmo21
    I had a feeling someone would answer with that Haha!
    Do I continue to ignore them? I'm guessing it's them just clutching at straws because they've so far got nowhere with the document hunt?
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 25th Oct 17, 10:40 PM
    • 11,646 Posts
    • 8,779 Thanks
    fatbelly
    The offer of a reduction indicates the are getting desperate. Expect bigger reductions to follow. There's no need to engage with them - they know they have to comply with your cca request
    • Gizmo21
    • By Gizmo21 26th Oct 17, 1:58 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Gizmo21
    Great, thanks fatbelly. I'll continue to ignore them then
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,040Posts Today

6,366Users online

Martin's Twitter