Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 9th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,680Posts
    • 8,794Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Have you put the central heating on yet?
    • 9th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    Have you put the central heating on yet? 9th Aug 17 at 5:09 PM
    I couldn't find the old thread but if I missed it please move this one!

Two nights ago I had to have a hot water bottle but last night the whole house was so cold that we put the heating on, and it's still on now.

How about everyone else?
Page 8
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 8th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 6,924 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Our central heating has finally been turned on but only for 90minutes I the morning and 3hrs in the evening.
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 £294£360
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 3402.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
    • Wassa123
    • By Wassa123 18th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Wassa123
    Ours is now on from 7-7:30ams in the morning, and from 5-7:30pm in the evening, set to 15 degrees C.

Our house is tall narrow 3 story townhouse (2 up, 2 middle, 2 down), so it's a bit like a chimney. In the evening after the heatings turned off it's chilly downstairs but warm upstairs which is annoying!
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 18th Oct 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    Still not needed here in Yorkshire
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Oct 17, 8:13 PM
    • 23,554 Posts
    • 49,350 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Originally posted by luvchocolate
    I’m impressed! Was gloating about not switching it on yet myself, but then I am a lily-livered Southerner
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 19th Oct 17, 9:22 PM
    • 15,398 Posts
    • 125,437 Thanks
    JackieO
    No, still not on here ,but we have been experiencing very mild weather here in Kent so far this autumn
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 20th Oct 17, 9:26 AM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    Yesterday I had to put it on for an hour or so, I was wet through got caught in the heavy rain.
    Still only got summer duvet on, but that may be changing soon !
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 20th Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    • 12,911 Posts
    • 17,102 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Ours has been lit for a month. However, the thermostat is set at 18 so it's only actually fired up a couple of times.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 20th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 2,284 Posts
    • 33,047 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    It’s been so mild here, no need for CH yet, but we are right down south - have had woodburner on a few times, more for comfort factor than anything else, not bragging, CH will go on as soon as it warrants it - hate being cold
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

Sept GC £250/£0.00
    • tboo
    • By tboo 20th Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    • 486 Posts
    • 1,508 Thanks
    tboo
    Originally posted by luvchocolate
    Same here - house temp is 16.5 so only need a cardigan (obviously other clothes as well )

Tried the CH a few weeks ago to test it and it hasn't been on since.

Will hold out for a while longer or if hubby cracks as he's a wimp.

----------------------------------------------------------
    “Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.”
    ----------------------------------------------
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 20th Oct 17, 3:18 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 5,979 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Our heating still isn't on. It's very mild here.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 20th Oct 17, 6:25 PM
    • 36,021 Posts
    • 464,225 Thanks
    pigpen
    Fortunately I tested mine a couple of weeks ago.. the expansion doohicky had deflated so that needed refilling and the valves needed changing and I had 1 radiator just full of air!.... works now.. but my Hive is not working so I'm still on a mission with that... 11 months and counting.. 1 thermostat, 2 hubs, full wire change and 1 new receiver.. it is a pile of poop!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 20th Oct 17, 6:52 PM
    • 12,911 Posts
    • 17,102 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Our Hive took about fifteen minutes for me to fit and has worked flawlessly for two years now. No wires needed. Excellent piece of kit.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Oct 17, 1:16 AM
    • 23,554 Posts
    • 49,350 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Our Hive took about fifteen minutes for me to fit and has worked flawlessly for two years now. No wires needed. Excellent piece of kit.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    I am intrigued, going by the BG quote I had I thought it required some expertise to fit (although the day-to-day operation is notoriously simple, and I know many are happy with it). My question is whether it’s worth fitting in advance of changing radiators, a boiler etc or there’s any advantage to waiting?

It’s been cooler today, although you wouldn’t have thought so in my home - my little niece whipped her blouse off and ran around the house semi-naked before she would be persuaded to cover up. Even then with the incentive of Peppa Pig

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 21st Oct 17, 8:57 AM
    • 12,911 Posts
    • 17,102 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I am intrigued, going by the BG quote I had I thought it required some expertise to fit (although the day-to-day operation is notoriously simple, and I know many are happy with it). My question is whether it’s worth fitting in advance of changing radiators, a boiler etc or there’s any advantage to waiting?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Fitting a Hive is incredibly easy if you already have a central heating timer with an industry standard back plate. Installation involves loosening two screws, snapping the Hive receiver on to the backplate in place of the original timer, tightening the screws, plugging the the Hive Hub into a mains socket, connecting the hub to a spare Ethernet port in your router, putting the batteries into the thermostat. All done bar the scheduling. If you like, you can drill two holes to fix the thermostat to the wall.

Incidentally, our boiler was installed circa 1972. I wouldn't wait.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    • 23,554 Posts
    • 49,350 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Fitting a Hive is incredibly easy if you already have a central heating timer with an industry standard back plate. Installation involves loosening two screws, snapping the Hive receiver on to the backplate in place of the original timer, tightening the screws, plugging the the Hive Hub into a mains socket, connecting the hub to a spare Ethernet port in your router, putting the batteries into the thermostat. All done bar the scheduling. If you like, you can drill two holes to fix the thermostat to the wall.

Incidentally, our boiler was installed circa 1972. I wouldn't wait.
    Thanks, will have a go then

Still no heating on! It’s been a lovely autumn day and I’m quite happy snuggling under a duvet on the sofa. Very hygge, I have no idea why people want to venture out on dark Saturday evenings

• wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2
    • By wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2 21st Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2
    Not yet but new intelligent electric blanket is certainly on!
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 21st Oct 17, 10:44 PM
    • 36,021 Posts
    • 464,225 Thanks
    pigpen
    With all due sarcasm.. whoop-de-doo for you Just as a matter of interest.. how far apart are all your bits for it? I have a rather large house and I just wonder if they are all simply too far apart. My meter for my solar panels won't stay connected either and I don't know about the smart meters because I was never given the monitors to go with those for some unknown reason.

I've had mine 5 years and it hasn't worked for most of that time.. I've had, in total, 6 thermostats, 5 hubs, 3 receivers and so many call outs I've lost count..

It was a piece of cake to fit.. however, getting it to stay connected is a titanic task.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 22nd Oct 17, 12:35 AM
    • 12,911 Posts
    • 17,102 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    With all due sarcasm.. whoop-de-doo for you Just as a matter of interest.. how far apart are all your bits for it? I have a rather large house and I just wonder if they are all simply too far apart.
    Originally posted by pigpen
    That could be the reason, although our house is a rambling old cottage with ironstone walls that range from four to two feet thick and the Hive seems to manage where the BT superdooper Smartrouter fails.

Why not try moving the bits closer together? Also, if you've had it five years, it's probably the old version, which may make a difference.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; Yesterday at 12:43 AM. Reason: Typo
    • kittie
    • By kittie 22nd Oct 17, 6:43 AM
    • 11,144 Posts
    • 62,177 Thanks
    kittie
    my house is still too warm for ch, 20 degrees downstairs in the living areas this morning, it is always cooler upstairs. Pellet stove on for an hour or so every few days to top up the tank heat, above what the solar panel input can do. PV = electricity, solar panel= water heating. It looks as though I won`t be using much fuel at all this winter season, maybe for 4 months at max of one 10kg bag a day, if it is very cold out
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 22nd Oct 17, 10:46 AM
    • 15,398 Posts
    • 125,437 Thanks
    JackieO
    No still off and the sun is shining here in Kent.Weather has been very mild and my friend has cornflowers still flowering in her garden !!!.The longer this mild spell lasts the better Even the windy day we had yesterday has now dropped to barely a breeze after all the predictions for howling gales it just never happened.My hebe shrub in the garden has flowered three times this year and the grass is still growing very odd weather at the moment,it will be a shock when it does finally turn nippy I'm sure

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin