Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 9th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,642Posts
    • 8,589Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Have you put the central heating on yet?
    • 9th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    Have you put the central heating on yet? 9th Aug 17 at 5:09 PM
    I couldn't find the old thread but if I missed it please move this one!

Two nights ago I had to have a hot water bottle but last night the whole house was so cold that we put the heating on, and it's still on now.

How about everyone else?
Page 6
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 14th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,819 Thanks
    carlislelass
    On today, having carpets laid so the place feels freezing
    • Judi
    • By Judi 14th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 15,052 Posts
    • 61,187 Thanks
    Judi
    Given in... yes its on and its staying on.
    Originally posted by Judi
    Damn, i'm a bit hot.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Sep 17, 1:04 PM
    • 9,670 Posts
    • 104,327 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I always have mine on a thermostat, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would choose to be cold, I'll always pay to be warm. Then again I have been truly cold living in the field.
    Originally posted by gt568
    Same here. My health is very poor, and I can't run around to get warm, so the heating gets used. Mr LW seems to feel the cold more than I do, too. We refuse to sit and shiver purely to save a bit of money.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 14th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 1,566 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I didn't have the central heating on at all last winter except for when I came back from holiday. I tell a lie, had it on constant at 12/14 as a frost setting, and had the loft hatch open whilst I was away.

For heating I rely on a wood burner which heats the whole house, plus excess solar power that goes into the immersion tank. I've had the stove on 3 times so far this season, the last on Sunday after getting soaked in a gale playing football and on the Friday as my GF came to visit. It was far too hot, but we kept all our clothes on..!

I have no intention being cold but if I'm moving or cooking then there's no problem. Then comes a cardigan or a jumper and maybe a bodywarmer if I'm sat at my desk, and finally the stove goes on and I waste loads of time staring into the flames!
    • gt568
    • By gt568 16th Sep 17, 10:29 AM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    gt568
    Lovely and toastie here with the CH ticking away nicely!
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 16th Sep 17, 11:28 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    We're having it on twice a week for around half an hour or so. House was built in the early 80s and has double glazing so it warms up quite quickly.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £3 a Day in September2017 - £15.90/£90 (2017 total - £164.27) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments in 2017 - £749.69
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 16th Sep 17, 7:47 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 1,713 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    Hi

We don't have central heating. Something which I know seems unheard of. Our two bed semi was built in the 80s and I is really warm. I did have a gas fire in the living room (gas wall heaters in bedrooms) but a design fault of the houses is that the corresponding wall upstairs develops a crack over time. Each year the crack has got worse, the longer and hotter i've had the downstairs fire on. I've had the gas man come and test everything and check the flue but he can't find anything wrong and suspects heat transference! I think it's just that modern houses aren't as sold as older ones myself.

I don't like central heating and as I don't want to spend any more years re-filling the crack, I've opted for an electric fire instead. It emits same energy as the gas fire with the main difference being that all the heat will come back into the room rather than some of it go up the flue as it does with gas.

Naturally being electric I'm nervous about the costs but will monitor it and see. Who knows I may end up having to get central heating in the end but I'l try anything if it means I don't have to. I do suffer with the cold so interesting times ahead. At present the heat is off though.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • berries
    • By berries 16th Sep 17, 8:40 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    berries
    Nope not yet!! Have had my open fire on a few times first winter in my house!! Have had a new heating system fitted when I moved in at March best check it out soon. I've changed my thin throws for a durvet now ...might need thicker one soon!!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Sep 17, 9:37 AM
    • 17,609 Posts
    • 44,827 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Heating still off.
    My new 4.5 tog feather & down duvet is really toasty.

I have my blanky for when I'm downstairs watching TV.

It seems to be chillier around 4pm - 6pm than later in the evenings.
    Does anyone else think this?
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 17th Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    coffeehound
    It seems to be chillier around 4pm - 6pm than later in the evenings. Does anyone else think this?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Circadian rhythms perhaps?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    • 23,175 Posts
    • 48,397 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    It is definitely cooler today, despite the sun being out this afternoon.

I took some exercise earlier this evening, had a hot shower and am here in my warm winter wrap and fleecy socks. Its the 17th and I am still determined not to put the heating on for the next 13 days.

I have lit a candle as a concession though, the first one post-summer. Mainly to add to the hygge factor
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 18th Sep 17, 1:37 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    purpleybat
    I thought Saturday evening was chilly, but I think I was feeling it as was a little under the weather and very tired. I didn't bother putting the heating on, I just snuggled under a duvet on the sofa
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 18th Sep 17, 8:29 AM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 5,817 Thanks
    MandM90
    We have a wood burner and plenty of free wood to use up, so will see how long we can resist. It's only a diddy one, that heats the living room for the first 2 hours then spreads to gently take the chill off everywhere. I'm hoping between that and the electric blankets we can hold off until October. The only trouble we have is when it rains, as hubby cycles home and needs his soggy shoes dried for the next day. Might try propping them upside down over dehumidifier and see if that does the trick!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th Sep 17, 10:16 PM
    • 23,175 Posts
    • 48,397 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    HWB evening #2. That and my 30 togs help me to sleep.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Sj62
    • By Sj62 18th Sep 17, 10:26 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    Sj62
    Tried vainly to avoid turning the CH up to 19 but spent an hour trying to find fingerless gloves to wear indoors so s*d that - on it went. It's on the thermostat so has switched itself off now.

The duvet is on along with a bedspread and I found a brand new set of bed socks in the CS so they will be in the bedside drawers, just in case ...
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 19th Sep 17, 4:08 PM
    • 15,231 Posts
    • 123,592 Thanks
    JackieO
    Not yet as its not really cold enough here in Kent.I am hoping to hang on until at least the end of the month if I can
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 19th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 18,841 Posts
    • 82,728 Thanks
    pipkin71
    I haven't put the heat on yet but we did have candles on yesterday for a couple of hours
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 19th Sep 17, 6:47 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Man alive, it was down to 3 degrees last night — in mid-September! Months and seasons are so last century, the weather is now officially whatever it is and the rule book is in the multi-fuel stove. (Which is a roundabout way of saying I put an oil-filled heater on overnight.)
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 19th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 32,778 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    CH - not yet, but woodburner, yes - DH is a chippy so we loads of Free wood, we'd be mad not to use that first
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

Sept GC £250/£0.00
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 19th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    • 22,918 Posts
    • 88,406 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I'm home alone and have been cold for the last two days at work, one of which had me getting soaked to the skin whilst moving stuff from one side of the site to another.

I'm in a less than ideal mood, and there's no food in the house, so I decided 'stuff it' and put the heating on.

Still hungry, but not in as much of a bad mood now. It means the cats aren't hysterically clambering all over me to get some warmth and sticking their claws into my leg either, as they're both splodged out with big, peaceful looks on their faces.

I'd rather have warmth than food at the moment.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,851Posts Today

8,165Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin