Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 9th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,699Posts
    • 8,885Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Have you put the central heating on yet?
    • 9th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    Have you put the central heating on yet? 9th Aug 17 at 5:09 PM
    I couldn't find the old thread but if I missed it please move this one!

Two nights ago I had to have a hot water bottle but last night the whole house was so cold that we put the heating on, and it's still on now.

How about everyone else?
Page 5
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 10th Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    • 7,785 Posts
    • 26,109 Thanks
    Primrose
    Opening all the curtains as wide as possible Whenever the sun shines as this helps to warm the room up. Make a point of closing them in winter as soon as dusk arrives and the temperatures start dropping
    • Witless
    • By Witless 10th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 2,174 Thanks
    Witless
    Sorta. Not on at the moment, but timer / thermostat set for the morning for 30 mins. (I'm convinced the mercury is telling me lies: there's no way that it's 11°C here, it's raw!)
    • janb5
    • By janb5 11th Sep 17, 12:38 AM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 6,377 Thanks
    janb5
    Put it on-house feels very cold. It`s on a timer for early morning and evening.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 11th Sep 17, 5:55 AM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 2,132 Thanks
    coffeehound
    It strange how quickly the indoor temperature plummets when it's raining outside. Wet days are when I always feel like putting some heating on so it was on yesterday and overnight.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 11th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 2,031 Thanks
    purpleybat
    heating doesn't go on til late October unless it gets REALLY cold.
    I didn't spend hours a few years ago knitting blankets not to use them when it's a bit nippy
    sorting energy bills today has convinced me that more thermals will be worn this year rather than putting heating on.
    oh and after british gas left us with no heating and hot water in the middle of winter the other year, I can confirm that a woolly bobble hat in the house does keep you more toasty
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170 sep 123.67/160 oct 151.56
    • gt568
    • By gt568 11th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    gt568
    I always have mine on a thermostat, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would choose to be cold, I'll always pay to be warm. Then again I have been truly cold living in the field.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • chella
    • By chella 11th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 1,262 Thanks
    chella
    Heating went on last night for an hour. It was windy and raining outside, the house felt uncomfortable, even though I had my dressing gown on. Just an hours blast did the trick. Plus now I know my boiler is working well.

NOT BUYING IT!!! 2015

• Sassia
    • By Sassia 11th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Sassia
    I put our heating on for an hour yesterday mainly to test it worked as knowing my luck there will be a cold snap and the heating wouldn't come on! I used the opportunity to get some washing dry on the radiators so put it on again for an hour in the evening. Done the same today. I normally have a rule that it doesn't get put on until October!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 17,008 Thanks
    caronc
    Last night for a couple of hours as I had guests and we were in the front room which is North facing so chilly. I've not had it on today as weather is better but if the forecast is correct for the next few days it will be going on low for a few hours each day to curb the chill/damp.
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • LadyhavershamLost
    • By LadyhavershamLost 11th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    LadyhavershamLost
    Biggies (17 & 15) have been swanning around in t-shirts - asking to put heating on - told them to put a jumper on!

Am not putting heating on until at least half term if possible.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Sep 17, 8:52 PM
    • 13,074 Posts
    • 17,290 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Am not putting heating on until at least half term if possible.
    Originally posted by LadyhavershamLost
    Good for you!

When is half term though? Tomorrow?
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • LadyhavershamLost
    • By LadyhavershamLost 12th Sep 17, 8:39 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    LadyhavershamLost
    October 23rd in Berkshire..
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Sep 17, 9:37 PM
    • 15,269 Posts
    • 62,590 Thanks
    Judi
    If i put it on its too hot, if i turn it off its too cold....
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 12th Sep 17, 9:49 PM
    • 7,785 Posts
    • 26,109 Thanks
    Primrose
    If i put it on its too hot, if i turn it off its too cold....
    Originally posted by Judi

I've found one of those quilted body warmers does a very good job of actually keeping you warm when you don't want to put the heating on. I always thought that with them being sleeveless, my arms would miss not having the extra covering that a sleeved jacket of some kind provides but actually this doesn't seem to be the case. I have a couple I bought from charity shops and wouldn't be without them.
    • Penguin8410
    • By Penguin8410 13th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    Penguin8410
    its definitly colder and we're in a flat which is south facing and generally warm all year round! windows were all shut last night except our bedroom one which is open even in snow.

have bought me and the kids new slippers from tesco £14 for 3 pairs and have jumpers on in the evening. Hoping to last out until october.....
    £45438 £0

Debt free date 19/07/2017

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 23,895 Posts
    • 50,127 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I've just spoken to my mum, and she tells me she feels cold tonight.

I've been wandering around town and feel anything but! Am hoping to get some sleep this evening, last night was spent listening to the howling wind. It wasn't even that bad in London!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Sep 17, 9:07 PM
    • 18,291 Posts
    • 46,813 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Just changed from our 1 tog duvet to new feather & down 4.5 tog.

I am wearing my UGG boots that I wear as slippers & have got my blankey ready on the sofa if it gets colder.
    Heating still off.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 13th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 2,132 Thanks
    coffeehound
    First year in a Long time we haven't had an 'Indian Summer' . . . or maybe it just hasn't happened yet . . .
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 14th Sep 17, 6:49 AM
    • 369 Posts
    • 5,331 Thanks
    Slowdown
    I agree. It feels like we've plunged into late autumn without those balmy September days we often have.
    We have a policy of no heating before November but we have plenty of jumpers and woolly socks. I do love a hot water bottle too.
    Given the gas prices and the fact I'm leaving my job at Christmas, I'm hoping for a mild winter.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 14th Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    • 15,269 Posts
    • 62,590 Thanks
    Judi
    Given in... yes its on and its staying on.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,287Users online

Martin's Twitter