Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 9th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,647Posts
    • 8,610Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Have you put the central heating on yet?
    • 9th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    Have you put the central heating on yet? 9th Aug 17 at 5:09 PM
    I couldn't find the old thread but if I missed it please move this one!

Two nights ago I had to have a hot water bottle but last night the whole house was so cold that we put the heating on, and it's still on now.

How about everyone else?
Page 4
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 8th Sep 17, 7:55 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 7,948 Thanks
    Living proof
    My mother as a widow would keep her house just above freezing during the winder in order to save money to go on a foreign holiday once a year. Complete madness. I would rather go hungry than cold, but I have no intention of doing either!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 8th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 7,767 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Not yet, dressing gown, candles & throws will do for the time being!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Frith
    • By Frith 8th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 4,193 Posts
    • 39,154 Thanks
    Frith
    I don't have any central heating but the wood burning stove has been lit this evening. The first fire is always as effective as the first pancake you make...
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • MrsLWW
    • By MrsLWW 8th Sep 17, 9:56 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    MrsLWW
    I broke yesterday, it was just getting a little nippy. DH thinks I'm mad lol.
    Debt peak approx £30,000
    CURRENT DEBT: Jan2017: £21,249 - Feb2017: £20,953 - March17: £19,223 - Apr17: £18,463 - May17: £16,374 - Jun17: £15,618: Jul17: £14,903 (CC Paid OFF!) Aug17: £12,700
    My parents always said "If you can't afford it cash, you can't afford it!" so true!.... mind you, turns out we can't afford much lol
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 8th Sep 17, 10:21 PM
    • 22,968 Posts
    • 88,585 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Just had it on for an hour to test it is working. All is well and I'll try to leave it until at least October, preferably November before having it on for more than that.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 8th Sep 17, 10:35 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 7,948 Thanks
    Living proof
    One minute is was distinctly nippy and the next absolutely sweltering. When I turned up the thermostat from next to nothing to 20 degrees I completely forgot that it under-registers and that 16C is quite hot enough. I'll turn it down when I go to bed - maybe it won't be needed in the morning.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 8th Sep 17, 10:51 PM
    • 7,009 Posts
    • 18,924 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Not yet, but I've bought another sweater...
    • SparksAlive
    • By SparksAlive 9th Sep 17, 7:54 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    SparksAlive
    Nope, and I had the window open last night in the bedroom! ��
    • tt07
    • By tt07 9th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    tt07
    At the moment it's a temptation but not in and nothing a jumper won't sort, would like to get to October, but we will see.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Sep 17, 8:46 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 5,262 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm feeling quite chilly today, I will put an extra blanket on the bed tonight and wear my fluffy socks.

I will try and hold out switching the heating on until October, but will do it sooner if I need to.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Trina90
    • By Trina90 9th Sep 17, 8:46 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Trina90
    One good aspect of living in a mid - terrace.. don't feel the cold.. yet. Still needing to have the windows open. Think we would be able to leave it quite late but I do now have a pair of Skinny Pigs (hairless guinea pigs!) to keep warm! I will be buying them lots of fleecy beds.
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000
    2016: £130,000
    Currently: £118,000
    • DianneB
    • By DianneB 9th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 1,619 Thanks
    DianneB
    Mine went on yesterday evening, it was decidedly chilly in Norfolk!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Sep 17, 10:37 PM
    • 23,240 Posts
    • 48,567 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Not until next month....am hoping to tough it out until then
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    • 4,539 Posts
    • 27,344 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    My thermostatic time switch put the heating on this morning. No Problemo!
    Watching the trail
    of cheap supermarket bags filled with a lfe gone by
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 10th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 12,730 Posts
    • 16,911 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    The central heating is off probably not to be turned on for a month or so. However, the sitting room fire is lit and it's very cosy in here.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 10th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 16,950 Posts
    • 25,856 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Still not needing any heating although the heavier quilt may be on the bed soon.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 10th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 7,619 Posts
    • 25,634 Thanks
    Primrose
    Heating still off but sitting here wrapped up looking like a Mrs. Michelin Woman! Need to keep getting up from my book and moving around to get the circulation going.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 10th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 7,767 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Sadly had to put it on to dry towels & jeans. It's not cold enough here yet to warrant heating for the ambient temperature but our permanently open loft window has been closed as there's definitely a chill in the breeze these past few days!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • societys child
    • By societys child 10th Sep 17, 8:05 PM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 4,851 Thanks
    societys child
    Remembered the problems last year with the boiler pressure relief valve, so fixed it. Needed to test it over the past couple of days . . .

Oh and my missus had to have a venesection, always shivers for a few days afterwards, so yeah the heating has been tested a few times during the past few days.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 23,240 Posts
    • 48,567 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Still not needing any heating although the heavier quilt may be on the bed soon.
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    Good idea, I'll get the second quilt on the bed! I was toying with the idea of the HWB this evening but can now see that was premature when I have 2*15 togs to keep me snuggly
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,846Posts Today

9,023Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin