Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 32_Briggsy
    • By 32_Briggsy 9th Aug 17, 9:49 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    32_Briggsy
    Family memeber ran £15k debt in my name!!
    • 9th Aug 17, 9:49 AM
    Family memeber ran £15k debt in my name!! 9th Aug 17 at 9:49 AM
    I've been a home owner for 5 years and went into my bank yesterday to apply to re-mortgage my house after splitting from my partner. To my shock and horror I was refused any credit from my bank, they were unable to tell me the reasons why, but advised me to look on experion to see my credit file. The advisor in the bank was confused as my income is more than sufficient to cover the money I'm looking to raise, I've never missed any mortgage payments and never been in areas / overdraft. My rating with the bank is A1.

So I got home and loaded up my credit file to find I'm £15k in debt! £10k loan and £5k credit card!! Then it clicked, about 10/15 years ago I was young and naively let me uncle pay his wages into a bank account that I now never use, its still in my old address. I totally forgot about it. But somehow he's been able to run this debt up. Now I'm stuck in no mans land as I cant raise any funds to pay my partner off the mortgage. I spoke to my uncle and he's come clean, he knows he's got this debt and willing to hold his hands up and claim fraud. He's pretty much passing this account as his own, he gets his wages paid into it and his bills come out of it too, but its in my name. Can anyone advise where I stand legally.
Page 2
    • Loubyloux
    • By Loubyloux 10th Aug 17, 9:42 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    Loubyloux
    This happened to me, slightly different circumstances as they just obtained credit for catalogues etc in my name when they lived in my property so I didn't give them access to any details but as a family member they had my name, dob, address and everything which was all they needed.
    I just ended up having to pay it all as if it was my own debt, it sucks but the alternatives weren't any easier.
    A big thank you to all comping posters!!
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 10th Aug 17, 10:52 PM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 7,660 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    You need to stop him using the account and get money off him monthly to repay the debt unless he is able to get a loan in his own name to clear it which is doubtful. Has he anything he can sell to give you the money back?

Obviously the other option is to report him for fraud (for taking out the loan and credit card in your name). That will also involve you coming clean about letting him use your bank account which is also against the terms and conditions and liable to give you a CIFAS marker. Those can ruin your credit rating too so maybe get the legal advice first as to how much you could be held liable for this situation.
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 3 months to go.
    • 32_Briggsy
    • By 32_Briggsy 11th Aug 17, 11:24 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    32_Briggsy
    I just seeked some advice through my employer assistance provider (Canada life). Other than raising the funds to pay off the debt he advised there's not really any other option than to go to the bank where the debt is placed with and come clean as to what has happened. He did not seem to think a CIFAS marker would result in any suspension of my accounts with Halifax. I've got a solicitor appointment next Thursday, I'm going to wait and see what is advised then before proceeding.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 11th Aug 17, 1:22 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 1,733 Thanks
    Candyapple
    I just seeked some advice through my employer assistance provider (Canada life). Other than raising the funds to pay off the debt he advised there's not really any other option than to go to the bank where the debt is placed with and come clean as to what has happened. He did not seem to think a CIFAS marker would result in any suspension of my accounts with Halifax. I've got a solicitor appointment next Thursday, I'm going to wait and see what is advised then before proceeding.
    Originally posted by 32_Briggsy
    Please go back and read post #10 in your thread here and click on the link I posted and actually read it, specifically post #7.

If you get a CIFAS marker your life as you know it for the next 6 years financial wise is dead. If you do get a marker then you will have to open an account with www.mycashplus.co.uk
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • 32_Briggsy
    • By 32_Briggsy 11th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    32_Briggsy
    Ok so an update. I put in a fraud claim against my uncle with Barclay's. The outcome was expected and they said I was liable for the debt.

For the credit card I've set up a standing order of 100 per month to clear the debt.

For the Barclay's loan and account that is overdrawn they have gave me a repayment plan. Basically it's a 0% Barclay's resolve loan with mostly payments of £198 over 5 years to clear the debt. My uncle says he's going to send the money over to me monthly (supposedly)!! Surprisingly not been hit with a CIFAS!!

Now this is sorted I'm hoping to go back to Halifax to reapply for re-mortgage. Can any advise of how this resolve loan may affect my chances of getting a re-mortgage after been declined last month.
    • 32_Briggsy
    • By 32_Briggsy 13th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    32_Briggsy
    Any advice on how best to approach my mortgage company with regard a re-mortgage, with the recent changes? Some had mention about having a correct notice put on my file?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

806Posts Today

5,378Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin