Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skinnydad
    • By Skinnydad 9th Aug 17, 9:15 AM
    • 45Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Skinnydad
    4 year old Samsung TV needs new Screen!
    • 9th Aug 17, 9:15 AM
    4 year old Samsung TV needs new Screen! 9th Aug 17 at 9:15 AM
    I was hoping that someone could provide some much need advice. I have a Samsung Plasma TV approx. 4 year’s old and it has developed a few lines down the right hand side of the screen.I called Samsung who referred me to one of their service centres for advice.The person I spoke to had stated that this indicates that the panel has gone (or going) and it would be approx. £500 to replace.Needless to say I was perplexed with this as they hadn’t physically seen the TV or performed any fault finding.As it was out of warranty (1 years manufactures) and I didn’t have an extended warranty then this is going to prove to be costly.I remember reading something from the sales of goods act that stated "Consumer experts say retailers are exploiting ambiguous legislation to wriggle out of their responsibilities. And claim the law is quite clear. The Sale of Goods Act offers protection against faulty goods even when the manufacturer's guarantee has run out. The act says goods must last a reasonable time - and that can be anything up to six years from the date of purchase.” Also a recent comment from ‘Which’ stated: You shouldn't have to pay a penny, even if the guarantee has expired, if the goods are faulty and less than six years old.

Samsung replied with the following:

With this in mind, each product is supplied with a warranty which protects it against such potential failure, within the terms and duration of the warranty. I understand from the details you have provided that it is now beyond the one year standard warranty which does mean that any required repair would have to be carried out on a chargeable basis.
    On the other hand, under the Sale of Goods Act and even the new UK Consumer Rights Act of 2015, please be advised that the consumer’s statutory rights under the Act are against the retailer who sold the product, not the manufacturer of that product (unless you have purchased the product directly from the manufacturer).

The issue is I’m not sure where I legally stand in a case like this. Who should I pursue and is it worth it? Granted the TV is 4 years old albeit that it wasn’t in use for nearly the first year as we moved house etc. and it’s not as if this is on 24 x 7 as we both work and lucky if it’s on 4hrs a day.It’s not that we can’t afford a new television it’s just that I believe it has not lasted a reasonable period of time.Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
Page 3
    • Al Ross
    • By Al Ross 17th Aug 17, 5:01 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Al Ross
    You can use the Currys Vouchers to purchase anything in their store,it doesn't need to be a TV.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 17th Aug 17, 5:12 PM
    • 3,617 Posts
    • 1,829 Thanks
    KeithP
    Although beware Currys will try and give you vouchers,so you have to buy from them again.
    Originally posted by Al Ross
    Having decided a refund is due, the seller is obliged to refund using the same method as the original payment unless the consumer agrees otherwise.

So, unless the consumer originally paid using vouchers or gift cards, he does not need to accept a refund in vouchers or gift card.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 17th Aug 17, 5:29 PM
    • 3,112 Posts
    • 2,836 Thanks
    Undervalued
    Having decided a refund is due, the seller is obliged to refund using the same method as the original payment unless the consumer agrees otherwise.

So, unless the consumer originally paid using vouchers or gift cards, he does not need to accept a refund in vouchers or gift card.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Maybe, but if the are making a "goodwill gesture" without admission of liability it is far less clear cut!

Obviously you could turn it down and sue them for the legal bottom line providing you are happy to take that risk.
    • Skinnydad
    • By Skinnydad 21st Aug 17, 10:38 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Skinnydad
    All getting rather complex folks, thanks for all the varying opinions and good solid information..I checked the receipt we paid £700 via visa.. Sure they may offer you a couple of hundred as a goodwill gesture, however they keep the TV and recycle, then your without a TV (albeit you'd need to replace at some point anyway) and would need to fork out in the region of £700 again for a similar model.. Oh the joys..my preferred solution would be if it's a manufacturing defect then replace the parts and give us a line free TV back..
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 21st Aug 17, 4:24 PM
    • 9,613 Posts
    • 7,611 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    It would probably be uneconomic to repair a 4 yr old plasma TV
    • Skinnydad
    • By Skinnydad 14th Sep 17, 3:22 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Skinnydad
    Just a quick update on this thread. I paid the £95 and sent the TV back to Curry's. They have just informed me that it is a manufacturing issue and that as the parts are no longer available that their claims department will be in touch with me. Strangely enough prior to embarking on the SOGA claim I called Samsung Direct. They put me in touch with one of their official repair centres and they said the part was available however it was around £300 for the panel. Just wondering if they offer me a settlement should I push for the part? thanks
    • Leo2020
    • By Leo2020 14th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    Leo2020
    They don't have to provide a remedy that is disproportionately costly. If giving you a partial refund is cheaper they can do that - they don't have to repair.
    • Al Ross
    • By Al Ross 14th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Al Ross
    Just a quick update on this thread. I paid the £95 and sent the TV back to Curry's. They have just informed me that it is a manufacturing issue and that as the parts are no longer available that their claims department will be in touch with me. Strangely enough prior to embarking on the SOGA claim I called Samsung Direct. They put me in touch with one of their official repair centres and they said the part was available however it was around £300 for the panel. Just wondering if they offer me a settlement should I push for the part? thanks
    Originally posted by Skinnydad
    The £90. fee should be refunded,plus whatever they decide?

Please let us know what you get.
    • karenj2610
    • By karenj2610 14th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    karenj2610
    Did you use credit card to pay as you could try a claim on Section 75 consumer credit act.
    My son had an identical fault with screen Currys repair it once. It failed again and he claimed on his CC. Or maybe charge back on debit card.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 19,258 Posts
    • 9,369 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Did you use credit card to pay as you could try a claim on Section 75 consumer credit act.
    Originally posted by karenj2610
    Not after four years use of the product he couldn't!

Any attempt to claw this back from the credit card company would be swiftly reversed or refused in the first place.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 14th Sep 17, 10:49 PM
    • 3,617 Posts
    • 1,829 Thanks
    KeithP
    Not after four years use of the product he couldn't!

Any attempt to claw this back from the credit card company would be swiftly reversed or refused in the first place.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    If the OP used a credit card, and he has a valid claim against the seller, then under section 75 of The Consumer Credit Act, he has an equally valid claim against the credit provider - even after four years or more.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Sep 17, 12:01 AM
    • 19,258 Posts
    • 9,369 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    If the OP used a credit card, and he has a valid claim against the seller, then under section 75 of The Consumer Credit Act, he has an equally valid claim against the credit provider - even after four years or more.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Not convinced that any such claim would be successful, four years on. The least the credit card company would require is an independent report indicating that the fault was inherent. No way there would be a 100% refund after four years use of the product.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 15th Sep 17, 12:53 AM
    • 3,617 Posts
    • 1,829 Thanks
    KeithP
    Not convinced that any such claim would be successful, four years on. The least the credit card company would require is an independent report indicating that the fault was inherent. No way there would be a 100% refund after four years use of the product.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    But you jumped on a new poster with wrong information.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the suggestion that karenj2610 made.
    • Skinnydad
    • By Skinnydad 15th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Skinnydad
    Thanks Karen not sure how I'd pursue this. KeithP for your assistance and MIneptitude for saying it as you see it. I'll inform you of the outcome after they call me. My issue is it's a £700 TV. It no longer works as designed, naturally there's depreciation I understand this. However if they offer me say half I'd need to find another £350 (which is difficult to obtain at present) to purchase another TV. So in 4 years i'll have had an outlay of £1400, which in my books is not good value for money. I don't expect them to give me a brand new TV however a similar spec refurbished one would do the job. I suppose it's all about expectations. Thanks again...
    • Spank
    • By Spank 15th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 857 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Spank
    Not really, you take the cash they give you an buy another 4 year old tv with it & you've not lodt out (that's assuming the money you get is enough)
    Thanks Karen not sure how I'd pursue this. KeithP for your assistance and MIneptitude for saying it as you see it. I'll inform you of the outcome after they call me. My issue is it's a £700 TV. It no longer works as designed, naturally there's depreciation I understand this. However if they offer me say half I'd need to find another £350 (which is difficult to obtain at present) to purchase another TV. So in 4 years i'll have had an outlay of £1400, which in my books is not good value for money. I don't expect them to give me a brand new TV however a similar spec refurbished one would do the job. I suppose it's all about expectations. Thanks again...
    • andrewmp
    • By andrewmp 15th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1,534 Posts
    • 788 Thanks
    andrewmp
    My guess is they'll offer you around £200. Sounds about fair and will go a canny way towards a new set. I'd be surprised if they offered you as much as half the original price paid after four years.

I'd imagine you'd be able to get a better spec TV for about £400 these days so you'll only have to find about £100 on top if they give you £200 plus the £95 back.
    Last edited by andrewmp; 15-09-2017 at 10:15 AM.
    • Leo2020
    • By Leo2020 15th Sep 17, 12:25 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    Leo2020
    As I posted they can offer you a partial refund. You've had use of a TV for 4 years you are not going to get 4 years use for free.

I appreciate where you are coming from in the sense that you are having to buy another TV sooner than you planned to but you won't get all your money back after 4 years. Also as pointed out by andrewmp you will not get half back, it will be less than half. Sorry to repeat the news you don't want to here but there is no point telling you anything else otherwise you will have false expectations.
    • Skinnydad
    • By Skinnydad 15th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Skinnydad
    Totally understand, where would you get a reputable brand 51 inch TV for £400. Thanks again to all..
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 15th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 9,985 Posts
    • 6,978 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Totally understand, where would you get a reputable brand 51 inch TV for £400. Thanks again to all..
    The point is though your TV was 4 years old, so I'm pretty sure you'd be able to pick up a half decent, 4 year old TV for £400.
    • takman
    • By takman 15th Sep 17, 2:25 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 2,171 Thanks
    takman
    Try eBay there are a few Samsung 51" Plasma TV's for around the £250 mark, here is one example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132324651260
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,286Posts Today

8,144Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin