Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • M271
    • By M271 8th Aug 17, 6:48 PM
    • 205Posts
    • 78Thanks
    M271
    Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End
    • 8th Aug 17, 6:48 PM
    Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End 8th Aug 17 at 6:48 PM
    I am currently on the MSE Collective Switch with BG which comes to an end on 3rd October. Will a another collective switch be launched before then (statement aimed at MSE reps) or should I just start looking at the best deals around 4 to 5 weeks before my deal comes to an end?
Page 8
    • payless
    • By payless 6th Sep 17, 7:57 AM
    • 6,579 Posts
    • 2,339 Thanks
    payless
    I jumped to npower last week anyway - slightly above average use . Club is highlightling edf ... but below it lists npower as cheaper
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 6th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    polymaff
    Thanks, Fred, that was the one I couldn't re-find.

"which is the cheapest Big 6 tariff" - claimed yet again.

"The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly and with unflagging attention. It must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over." J Goebbels
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 6th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    "The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly and with unflagging attention. It must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over." J Goebbels
    Originally posted by polymaff
    Hey ...that sounds like me
    • vigman
    • By vigman 6th Sep 17, 9:44 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    vigman
    Now I'm really confused about what to do I can't risk the hassle of a small company that cannot be contacted easily or who may make errors (mainly due to serious health problems) It took a lot to move to dual fuel from BG and SE to the BG collective!

Seems that if I stay with BG dual then I go from £1100 to £1500 approx. If I take the switch at least it is to a known company and is estimated to save £268 pa

If I did the switch does the Cheap Energy Club use existing details like meter and account numbers, please?

TIA

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
    • jmnathan
    • By jmnathan 6th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    jmnathan
    If I did the switch does the Cheap Energy Club use existing details like meter and account numbers, please?
    Originally posted by vigman
    Your new supplier will contact BG to request all of this information.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 6th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    • 1,799 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    hubb
    So obviously I am now going to do my own comparisons using all the sites (sigh), when will be the best time to set the wheels in motion timed with my BG ending on the 3rd Oct ?
    • vigman
    • By vigman 6th Sep 17, 10:29 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    vigman
    Getting even more confused as British Gas Home Energy Secure to Aug 19 says I will only pay £4-34 PER YEAR more for gas than on the current collective? As said somewhere else " surely some mistake?"

Added info: OK just checked and I see that is it the electricity from BG that is getting hiked. My gas stays around £750 pa but my electricity goes from £350 to £750 approx!

Was it sensible to go dual fuel?

TIA

Vigman
    Last edited by vigman; 06-09-2017 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Added info
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
    • Reue
    • By Reue 6th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    Reue
    Getting even more confused as British Gas Home Energy Secure to Aug 19 says I will only pay £4-34 PER YEAR more for gas than on the current collective? As said somewhere else " surely some mistake?"
    Originally posted by vigman
    I've no idea how they are (massively under-calculating) those predicted figures. The tariffs are:

Old gas: Unit rate 2.657p per kWh Standing charge 21.809p per day
    Old Elec: Unit rate 9.041p per kWh Standing charge 21.809p per day

New gas:

Unit rate 3.89p per kWh Standing charge 25.75p per day
    New Elec:

Unit rate 14.36p per kWh Standing charge 25.75p per day

So 7.882p difference in standing charge per day for both fuels. 365 days = £28.77 in standing charge increases alone. How on earth they can claim is "£6.29" extra spend per year (based on my account) I've no idea. The maths doesnt add up!
    • vigman
    • By vigman 6th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    vigman
    I've no idea how they are (massively under-calculating) those predicted figures. The tariffs are:

Old gas: Unit rate 2.657p per kWh Standing charge 21.809p per day
    Old Elec: Unit rate 9.041p per kWh Standing charge 21.809p per day

New gas:

Unit rate 3.89p per kWh Standing charge 25.75p per day
    New Elec:

Unit rate 14.36p per kWh Standing charge 25.75p per day

So 7.882p difference in standing charge per day for both fuels. 365 days = £28.77 in standing charge increases alone. How on earth they can claim is "£6.29" extra spend per year (based on my account) I've no idea. The maths doesnt add up!
    Originally posted by Reue
    Really useful, thanks!

I logged back in and my annual gas increase had changed.......to £6-67 per year!?

Where's the British Gas rep to explain it has to increase by at least the rise in standing charges before the unit price hikes?

Vigman
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 6th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    Wait for it EDF
    Originally posted by malamute
    Sorry .... what is the point you are trying to make in your post?

Did you see my previous posts (and others' posts) that have pointed out that the EDF collective switch is dearer than what EDF were offering a day or so before the switch was announced .... and dearer than another big 6 tariff that is not a collective switch and dearer than many, many smaller company tariffs?

If you were trying to make a different point ... please tell us.

Edit: - Quoted post now seems to have disappeared from the thread?
    Last edited by Bobblehat; 06-09-2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: quote disappeared
    • PEJ9
    • By PEJ9 6th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    PEJ9
    MSE says you can change supplier within 50 days of your fixed tariff ends without incurring exit fees. I've just checked with British Gas and they've told me exit fees will apply until after the end date of the current tariff.
    • Reue
    • By Reue 6th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    Reue
    MSE says you can change supplier within 50 days of your fixed tariff ends without incurring exit fees. I've just checked with British Gas and they've told me exit fees will apply until after the end date of the current tariff.
    Originally posted by PEJ9
    My welcome email specifically states:

If you switch to another energy supplier before 15th August 2017 we'll charge you an exit fee of £20 for electricity and £20 for gas. We'll collect exit fees before any other amounts you owe us, either from payments you make or from your credit balance.

Also in the email they sent me about my tariff ending soon:

If you are thinking about switching from this tariff
    We hope you'll decide to stay with us but, as your fixed contract is ending, you can move to a different supplier without any notice or paying an exit fee.

Whoever you spoke to at British Gas clearly hasn't got a clue.
    Last edited by Reue; 06-09-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    • vigman
    • By vigman 6th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    vigman
    Whoever you spoke to at British Gas clearly hasn't got a clue

---------------------------

What bothers me with all these large organisations who state one thing and implement another!

So many times a fee or charge is incorrectly made and it takes ages to sort this out despite assurances from company support representatives

Imagine if there is a dispute in this case and you want to switch. The new company will see an unpaid charge on your account even if it should never have been applied in the first case. I had this with a telecom company and it is so frustrating when you are in the right!

Vigman
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 6th Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    Originally posted by PEJ9
    BG phone staff are lying AGAIN. Moneysavingexpert.com has reported BG to OFGEM, please read http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2017/09/british-gas-charges-customer-exit-fees-to-switch-tariff-within-penalty-free-switching-window
    • quoit
    • By quoit 6th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    quoit
    After mulling over the news yesterday of what turned out to be a disappointing Collective Switch deal from EDF, I switched to Bulb Energy via the CEC.

I've already received my welcome email and attached letter from Bulb informing me that I'll be switched over to them on 27th Sep.

This is a good start so far.

I'll be keeping an eye out for British Gas attempting to charge me exit fees!
    • superbigal36
    • By superbigal36 6th Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    superbigal36
    I've not read the full thread, but am another for being dismayed that this tarriff is advertised by that "cheeky fibber Martin" being the lowest of the big 6, to then find an identical offer from Npower much lower.

I assume Npower will being doing rather well out of people currently searching these parameters.
    • mikeyorkie10
    • By mikeyorkie10 6th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mikeyorkie10

I'll be keeping an eye out for British Gas attempting to charge me exit fees!
    Originally posted by quoit
    I'll be watching for exit fees after my TogetherEnergy switch as well!
    • wizk1
    • By wizk1 6th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    wizk1
    I've just taken the plunge and switched to npower with the £60 cashback from TCB. I'm disappointed but also not surprised that MSE couldn't negotiate a lucrative offer like they did with BG last year, but overall, with cashback included, I'll effectively pay the same (perhaps a smidge more) overall for the year as my current BG fix.
    | Student Overdraft: -£2,000 £0 | Car loan -£4,288.80 £0 |
    Cashback earned to date (Cash back credit cards, cashback sites, tarting, stoozing, etc.): £4,451.89 (As of 03/01/13)
    • quoit
    • By quoit 6th Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    quoit
    The cheaper Big Six npower tariff didn't appear when I did a comparison. I guess that is down to my location and how much energy I use.

The disappointing EDF collective fix was the cheapest tariff of the Big Six on offer... disappointing in the sense that it has replaced a non-collective EDF tariff which was available up to a few days ago.
    • mrscirocco
    • By mrscirocco 6th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mrscirocco
    Anyone investigated ThePeoples Energy Company - looks to be one of the cheapest but doesn't appear in mse comparisons
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,638Posts Today

8,831Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin