Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • M271
    • By M271 8th Aug 17, 6:48 PM
    • 205Posts
    • 78Thanks
    M271
    Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End
    • 8th Aug 17, 6:48 PM
    Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End 8th Aug 17 at 6:48 PM
    I am currently on the MSE Collective Switch with BG which comes to an end on 3rd October. Will a another collective switch be launched before then (statement aimed at MSE reps) or should I just start looking at the best deals around 4 to 5 weeks before my deal comes to an end?
Page 21
    • mikeyorkie10
    • By mikeyorkie10 24th Oct 17, 9:14 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mikeyorkie10
    My understanding is that the responsibility will sit with the supplier that installed the meter as upgrading the meter will allow the supplier to count the meter towards its meter deployment target. Given that there are many different types of foundation meters, it would be unreasonable to expect every supplier to have the technical means to upgrade a meter that it knows nothing about. More importantly, if it is an OTA upgrade, then the only supplier that can communicate with any given meter is the one that supplied it.

From a consumer point of view, it matters not a jot who does the work.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    So .... we just sit tight and someone will/should eventually contact us? Is there any way of contacting whoever or a website that gives all this info on what's happening to the old smart meters? I presume it is the meters themselves that have to be upgraded and then the existing IHD will start to work again. If I don't know the meters have been upgraded, I wont know to turn my IHD back on :-)
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 24th Oct 17, 11:39 AM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    Hengus
    So .... we just sit tight and someone will/should eventually contact us? Is there any way of contacting whoever or a website that gives all this info on what's happening to the old smart meters? I presume it is the meters themselves that have to be upgraded and then the existing IHD will start to work again. If I don't know the meters have been upgraded, I wont know to turn my IHD back on :-)
    Originally posted by mikeyorkie10
    The answer to that is 'no'. The Data Communications Company (DCC) has yet to finish the consultative phase of the SMETS1 adoption. There then follows a period of testing as no two meter solutions are the same. I assume that sometime before 2020, people will be notified when their meters have been upgraded to full SMETS 1 compliance and adopted by the DCC.

https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/media/317173/15443_factsheet_a_e_v4.pdf

https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/media/440317/20171016_smets1_planning_conclusions.pdf

The provisional deployment plan is on the last page. Note: everything connected with this project has so far moved to the right.

If you read the document, the plan is that the DCC will have an Initial Operating Capability to accept SMETS1 meters from 30 Nov 18 with a Full Operating Capability by 30 Jun 19. The Government has already agreed to a further extension to the SMETS1 roll out end date.
    Last edited by Hengus; 24-10-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    • Enceladus
    • By Enceladus 25th Oct 17, 11:37 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Enceladus
    Our BG final bill/statement/debit for gas has been refunded and shows as 'charges reversed'. Still no sign of an electricity bill. However the 1 day variable rate overcharge of £0.42 previously reported has also been credited to our account. So now we're back where we started, a large credit balance that's actually increased by £0.42. And no proper dual fuel statement/bill since April.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 28th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 36,184 Posts
    • 152,916 Thanks
    silvercar
    Finally, the extra payment taken has been refunded. Now the only issue is that the meter readings between Ovo and Sainsbury's don't match. I'm not going to worry as the difference is in my favour. No doubt one or other will sort it in time.
    • PhilJL20
    • By PhilJL20 5th Dec 17, 6:25 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PhilJL20
    Is anyone still waiting for the switch from BG to go through? I transferred on collective switch 8 back in September. My gas supply has gone through OK but the electricity is still pending. I rang Ovo and they said they're waiting on a third party to confirm meter readings.

Phil
    • mikeyorkie10
    • By mikeyorkie10 5th Dec 17, 6:58 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mikeyorkie10
    Is anyone still waiting for the switch from BG to go through? I transferred on collective switch 8 back in September. My gas supply has gone through OK but the electricity is still pending. I rang Ovo and they said they're waiting on a third party to confirm meter readings.

Phil
    Originally posted by PhilJL20
    No... I went to TogetherEnergy and it all happened in 3weeks, including the BG refund��
    Good luck!
    • victor2
    • By victor2 5th Dec 17, 7:49 PM
    • 4,712 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    victor2

Phil
    Originally posted by PhilJL20
    My switch to Avro went through OK, but I now have a dispute over the final and starting readings, as they weren't the same. I gave Avro the actual readings off my (BG installed) smart meters. BG used the latest smart meter readings they had, which were slightly less, but near enough. Avro used some other readings that were considerably less as the starting readings. Avro say that's the readings they were given by the third party who handles these things, and that BG should have used them for their final bill.
    We're talking about just over £20 worth of utilities that I've paid BG and Avro for, when they were actually used as a BG customer.
    Avro said "Don't worry, you won't pay for the same utility usage twice", until I pointed out that's exactly what they've charged me for. It's BG's "fault" but why would they use obviously incorrect readings when they have smart meter readings?
    Remains to be seen how Avro will resolve this...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin