Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • M271
    • By M271 8th Aug 17, 6:48 PM
    • 205Posts
    • 78Thanks
    M271
    Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End
    • 8th Aug 17, 6:48 PM
    Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End 8th Aug 17 at 6:48 PM
    I am currently on the MSE Collective Switch with BG which comes to an end on 3rd October. Will a another collective switch be launched before then (statement aimed at MSE reps) or should I just start looking at the best deals around 4 to 5 weeks before my deal comes to an end?
Page 18
    • mikeyorkie10
    • By mikeyorkie10 5th Oct 17, 7:09 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    mikeyorkie10
    I have now switched from British Gas, and my meter is also displaying 'Connecting to smart meter'. I was hoping it would continue to work, but without the cost information.

I would have also liked to have taken manual meter reading from the device, without having to go outside, however the 'Meter Readings' option has also disappeared! Seems a little petty seeing as I can see the hub is still paired to the meters outside.
    Originally posted by jrpatten
    I know but it seems the same functionality that sends the meter readings to the supplier also sends the updates to the monitor. When they turn off their data collection, the monitor also dies. There will be a possible fix but it may take til 2020! Only alternative is to ask for a new generation SMETS2 Monitor when they become available ....
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 6th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    nic_c
    I know but it seems the same functionality that sends the meter readings to the supplier also sends the updates to the monitor. When they turn off their data collection, the monitor also dies. There will be a possible fix but it may take til 2020! Only alternative is to ask for a new generation SMETS2 Monitor when they become available ....
    Originally posted by mikeyorkie10
    They have been available for a long time now. BEFORE I joined the BGas collective last year there was a docu on TV about this quizzing why S1 were being installed when the newer versions were out - it was because they had vast stocks of the first version and because demand wasn't as expected. So don't think its because they aren't available, it's because they equally work well for the current supplier and they don't care if they stop when you move away, because you've moved away.

The spec for the second version has been around since 2012 and last updated in 2014 (https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/smart-metering-equipment-technical-specifications-second-version). So even if it took them a year to get the units manufactured from the final 2nd gen spec, they should have been installing them before the British Gas Collective deal we have been on was offered.

So the big question is if you have had a meter installed whilst on the collective, why was everyone fobbed off with an old model when the newer model had been around for a while. If you combine this with the data vulnerability and public heath concerns of them, it makes you wonder if at some point it will be like a future PPI and people will be able to claim to get them replaced and for inconvenience caused.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Oct 17, 1:27 PM
    • 4,333 Posts
    • 2,549 Thanks
    Hengus
    They have been available for a long time now. BEFORE I joined the BGas collective last year there was a docu on TV about this quizzing why S1 were being installed when the newer versions were out - it was because they had vast stocks of the first version and because demand wasn't as expected. So don't think its because they aren't available, it's because they equally work well for the current supplier and they don't care if they stop when you move away, because you've moved away.

The spec for the second version has been around since 2012 and last updated in 2014 (https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/smart-metering-equipment-technical-specifications-second-version). So even if it took them a year to get the units manufactured from the final 2nd gen spec, they should have been installing them before the British Gas Collective deal we have been on was offered.

So the big question is if you have had a meter installed whilst on the collective, why was everyone fobbed off with an old model when the newer model had been around for a while. If you combine this with the data vulnerability and public heath concerns of them, it makes you wonder if at some point it will be like a future PPI and people will be able to claim to get them replaced and for inconvenience caused.
    Originally posted by nic_c
    This is nothing to do with the SMETS2 specification or old models. SMETS2 meters connect to The Data Communications Company not individual suppliers. This organisation only went live in certain areas in late 2016. To allow for further testing of equipment and links, the Government restricted the rollout of smart meters (each of the Big 6 suppliers only had install 1500 meters each in the first year and they were permitted to include SMETS1 meters in these totals). The Government has now directed that The DCC and suppliers are to find technical solutions to graft SMETS 1 meters on to the central hub by 2020. This may be achieved via firmware or by a change in the comms hub. With 10M SMETS1 meters already deployed, it is unlikely that the Government or industry will want to replace these meters anytime soon. They have 43M more meters to install by 2020.
    • Enceladus
    • By Enceladus 6th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Enceladus
    British Gas final bill
    We were on the MSE collective fix that expired on Oct 3rd. We switched to the OVO 2 year fix. And that was effective from yesterday 5th Oct.

When I log in on the BG site it tells me that our energy account is closed and the balance is £0.00 in credit, which is incorrect. However if I navigate to the payment history it correctly states that we are £364 in credit. And the last bill is from April. Despite submitting meter readings we have not had a bill since then. I was expecting a bill in July.

The first OVO direct debit is due in a few days, so I'd really like to know where we stand with BG. The BG direct debit is due in a week. And I don't want an unexpected double whammy.

When can I expect to see the final BG bill?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 6th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    • 26,889 Posts
    • 13,038 Thanks
    Cardew
    We were on the MSE collective fix that expired on Oct 3rd. We switched to the OVO 2 year fix. And that was effective from yesterday 5th Oct.

When I log in on the BG site it tells me that our energy account is closed and the balance is £0.00 in credit, which is incorrect. However if I navigate to the payment history it correctly states that we are £364 in credit. And the last bill is from April. Despite submitting meter readings we have not had a bill since then. I was expecting a bill in July.

The first OVO direct debit is due in a few days, so I'd really like to know where we stand with BG. The BG direct debit is due in a week. And I don't want an unexpected double whammy.

When can I expect to see the final BG bill?
    Originally posted by Enceladus
    I posted this on 29 Sept(post #314)

I also have had my closing GAS account from BG using the(accurate!) meter reading I gave to Ovo. However not yet anything on Electricity.

As posted earlier I received notification from BG that I was to get two increased separate DDs on 01 Oct even though my BG account closed on 25 Sept - I am well in credit. I rang BG to ensure these DDs were cancelled. The very helpful call centre operator explained he couldn't cancel DDs but he set them both to £0.00!
    Still nothing on my electricity bill. I rang BG and they have up to next week to produce bill and send refund to my bank account.
    • kennywebb
    • By kennywebb 6th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kennywebb
    When BG end it, they end it!!
    Just switched from BG using Energy Club. Wanted to check a few things on my BG account, logged on to find everything has been taken offline!! Account closed....................

Is this normal? Seems a bit sudden and final.
    • Tharweb
    • By Tharweb 6th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    Tharweb
    I switched on 26th September. I can still access my BG on-line account which tells me I am £0.15 in debit, which will be taken two weeks after the date of my final bill, which was produced on 2nd October.

Maybe it's different if you owe them money?

The only weird thing is, the bill only refers to gas, not electricity and I was dual fuel.
    This site has saved me a fortune ...it's also cost me a fortune!
    © Tharweb 2006
    • mikeyorkie10
    • By mikeyorkie10 6th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    mikeyorkie10
    I switched on 26th September. I can still access my BG on-line account which tells me I am £0.15 in debit, which will be taken two weeks after the date of my final bill, which was produced on 2nd October.

Maybe it's different if you owe them money?

The only weird thing is, the bill only refers to gas, not electricity and I was dual fuel.
    Originally posted by Tharweb
    It is weird .... I was dual fuel. Got a gas bill credit bill, said nothing would happen until the electric final bill was sorted which I sort of understood. Electric also in credit but a smaller amount - £25 vs £125 for gas. Guess what, got the £25 in my bank already, no sign of the gas credit and nothing showing as owing on what's left accessible on my online account!!

Watching to see what happens next��
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 6th Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    nic_c
    Just switched from BG using Energy Club. Wanted to check a few things on my BG account, logged on to find everything has been taken offline!! Account closed....................

Is this normal? Seems a bit sudden and final.
    Originally posted by kennywebb
    That's why I downloaded copies of all statements, in case they retrospectively change my usage
    • mikeyorkie10
    • By mikeyorkie10 6th Oct 17, 8:41 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    mikeyorkie10
    That's why I downloaded copies of all statements, in case they retrospectively change my usage
    Originally posted by nic_c
    Yeah, I've got all my statements, plus my smartdata ....... just in case!
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 6th Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 26,889 Posts
    • 13,038 Thanks
    Cardew
    It is weird .... I was dual fuel. Got a gas bill credit bill, said nothing would happen until the electric final bill was sorted which I sort of understood. Electric also in credit but a smaller amount - £25 vs £125 for gas. Guess what, got the £25 in my bank already, no sign of the gas credit and nothing showing as owing on what's left accessible on my online account!!

Watching to see what happens next��
    Originally posted by mikeyorkie10
    For myself, on that BG tariff, it was not possible to be in credit for both gas AND electricity.

On that tariff I paid a single DD that covered both gas and electricity. The bills I got stated, say, Gas cost £200, Electricity £150, Total = £350. This left me with a single credit or debit figure that covered both fuels.

Like you I have had my gas bill leaving me with a large credit. From that credit I will be getting an electricity bill from 30 June to 25 Sept and that will be deducted from my credit.
    • vigman
    • By vigman 7th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    vigman
    Can I please ask again whether people on the old BG dual collective tariff had a separate DD for gas and electricity as I had?

Can't understand why I had a gas refund mid-September and now a £0 balance? Why did BG not wait until the switch to OVO was finalised?

Also have not had an email from OVO confirming DD bank details (as stated on the online account opening screen) although both fuels with them from October 10th?

TIA

Vigman
    Last edited by vigman; 07-10-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Added content
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
    • mikeyorkie10
    • By mikeyorkie10 7th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    mikeyorkie10
    Can I please ask again whether people on the old BG dual collective tariff had a separate DD for gas and electricity as I had?

Can't understand why I had a gas refund mid-September and now a £0 balance? Why did BG not wait until the switch to OVO was finalised?

Also have not had an email from OVO confirming DD bank details (as stated on the online account opening screen) although both fuels with them from October 10th?

TIA

Vigman
    Originally posted by vigman
    Nope, I had a single direct debit. When I looked at the account, they seemed to split it into two separate amounts but this was never reflected on the DD. I am still awaiting the gas element of the credit I should receive! I have asked BG what's going on.

I've had confirmation from Together that both have transferred over ok.
    Last edited by mikeyorkie10; 07-10-2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Missed a bit
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 7th Oct 17, 12:50 PM
    • 26,889 Posts
    • 13,038 Thanks
    Cardew

TIA

Vigman
    On the collective tariff I had a single DD covering both gas and electricity.

However on the day I received confirmation that my BG account was finishing on 25 Sept, I got two letters from telling me that I was to have a separate DD for gas and another DD for electricity wef 01 Oct. This was presumably computer generated on the assumption that I would be staying with BG on their standard tariff

Were you with BG before you went on the BG/MSE collective?

I received notification from Ovo of my DD amount well before the switch took place(26 Sept) and they took the DD amount on 28 Sept.
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 9th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Bobblehat

Vigman
    I had two DD's on the BG Collective Tariff. I liked it that way for bonuses on current accounts etc ... plus it made it easier to keep an eye on what was going on with each energy bill.

(Addenda ... which turned out to be quite helpful when BG kept doubling up my DD each month for electricity for quite a few months ....... then could not get setting up a simple new DD right for months and months on the electricity!)
    • vigman
    • By vigman 9th Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    vigman
    Update: I had been with BG for gas and Se for electricity before the collective so BG obviously added a DD for electricity when it came through.

OVO has now set up DD but I had no notification of account used or DD guarantee.

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
    • Djstrobe4real
    • By Djstrobe4real 9th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Djstrobe4real
    Coming from BG to OVO
    My switch was completed on the 26th September and I received a bill for gas that night but electricity is still outstanding... how long does it take. I submitted readings immediately and they are pretty similar to previous so no huge spike to arrouse any suspicious activity... has everyone else closed and switched?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 9th Oct 17, 7:17 PM
    • 26,889 Posts
    • 13,038 Thanks
    Cardew
    My switch was completed on the 26th September and I received a bill for gas that night but electricity is still outstanding... how long does it take. I submitted readings immediately and they are pretty similar to previous so no huge spike to arrouse any suspicious activity... has everyone else closed and switched?
    Originally posted by Djstrobe4real
    Welcome to the forum.

My case is exactly the same as yours i.e. switched 26 Sep and had a gas bill showing a large credit on 28th Sept, but also nothing yet about electricity. The bill total for electricity will be deducted from my gas credit.

Spoke to BG and they state they have 3 weeks to action electricity; several other posters have the same experience as thee and me.
    • Enceladus
    • By Enceladus 10th Oct 17, 2:20 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Enceladus
    Just to be clear, if BG is advised that a transfer is in progress by the new supplier in the period up to ‘end of fixed contract plus 20 days’ then you have tariff protection. In other words, you will stay on your present fixed tariff rates until the actual transfer goes through.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Well BG seem to be ignoring the tariff protection.

Switched from the BG MSE Fix that expired on 3rd Oct to OVO. The dual fuel transfer is effective from 5th Oct.

Just had a final gas bill and this shows one rate until the 3rd Oct. For the 4th (1 day) I've been charged a significantly higher rate. Also the standing charge has increased by £0.04 + VAT.

The final bill is gas only, electricity has gone AWOL. And the website says my energy account is closed.

I calculate the gas overcharge as £0.42. (Presumably electricity will be similarly overcharged. I realise it's only one day but across all of us it mounts up, free profit for BG.
    Last edited by Enceladus; 10-10-2017 at 2:23 AM.
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 10th Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    Well BG seem to be ignoring the tariff protection.
    Originally posted by Enceladus
    A week or so ago, when I spoke to BG about my change from them to AVRO, I was told that I would see that it looks like I would be on the standard tariff after the Collective switch ended, but there would be a refund shown in the final bill to make up the difference. If I log on now, I see I am on the standard tariff for both gas and elec.

I will be watching my switch like a hawk to see evidence of this refund!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,815Posts Today

7,903Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Common question, but actually its pretty meaningless - the amount to govt is arbitrary - i explain why here...? https://t.co/W6NFlmztaV

• RT @avantiproperty: @MartinSLewis You've got too much time on your hands.

• Today's Twitter poll: Bit out of no where this one. If you wear a watch which wrist is it on...

• Follow Martin