Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In the last 12 months the domestic energy market has changed. Ofgem ran scared after the CMA review and it is now playing loose with the tariffs that suppliers can offer under the pretence of greater competition. At the same time, it is issuing more Supply licences than ever before - again to stimulate competition. Suppliers are now allowed to offer referral fees to existing customers that bring in new customers. Smaller suppliers are also not interested in paying any referral fees. £60 saved is £60 a year that can be offered off the tariff cost.

MSE CEC plays fair by showing tariffs that offer it no financial return. It cannot really be expected to offer a collective tariff that pays it nothing; moreover, I suspect that it is also being careful not to recommend a supplier/s that cannot offer an acceptable level of customer service.

FWIW, I think that collective energy tariffs that beat the market have probably had their day.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 September 2017 at 8:43PM
    Options
    Bobblehat wrote: »
    Thanks Polymaff ... I see what you mean now.

Still no comment from any MSE staff despite my invite ..... better not hold my breath!

"It's not a market-leading deal ..., but it's a cheap tariff from a major supplier."

MSE, the former we know - but the latter, oh, what happened to "the cheapest big six deal on the market"?

It is a funny old world, Bobblehat, but MSE - at one time so keen to strike out at misleading marketing by others just can't see themselves as others see them.

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity" W. B. Yeats
  • Bobblehat
    Options
    Hengus ..... while noting you undoubted expert contribution to this forum, I am not really commenting on the quality of the CEC comparison tool nor whether MSE make any money out of a collective deal (I would not objective if MSE did! They provide us with a service that costs money to run) .... nor am I commenting on the market or regulatory changes.

The bottom line on one of my points is - why are MSE CEC offering a collective switch with a company that is dearer than what that company offered before there was a collective switch with that company? It just seems so against the ethos of CEC and MSE and as a follower of MSE for a few years, it's a question I would dearly love to have an answer to, for any doubt in their expertise to be eliminated.

Again, at the risk of sounding like broken record (read vinyl - for younger readers), the other point I made is why only 25,000 applications max on the collective switch for a club that has 3 million members, click, members, click, members .... click? I wonder how many CEC members are going to have their last MSE CEC collective switch with BG end on 3rd October? More than 25,000 ...... more than 250,000? More? It was a very popular deal that I for one was very grateful for.

I know I can't be the only one on this forum who would like these questions answered. I have also observed that MSE staff have contributed to the threads when needed. Where are they now? We members can debate this till the cows come home ...... but we may not find the answers unless MSE contribute.
  • fryedslyce
    Options
    As I've said before, I've gone with TogetherEnergy. I note now that they are coming out cheapest on Confused.com but still aren't appearing on the MSE Energy comparison site - strange?

Also just switched to TogetherEnergy went via TopCashback Energylinx comparison site, so should get £37 cashback.
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Which is the best comparison site if we are to find our own way this year, the energy club ?
  • sam1974_2
    Options
    Pfffft collective fix is hardly a deal !

WHAT YOU'RE CURRENTLY PAYING £115/month £1,381/year

npower - an extra £373/yr but you'll get £25 cashback
    Estimated new costs £1,754/yr - £146/month

Various others inbetween, then:-

EDF Energy - an extra £516/yr but you'll get £25 cashback
    Estimated new costs £1,897/yr - £158/month
    This one-year collective fixed deal from EDF is the cheapest big six deal on the market
    Really ::eek: obviously npower isn't one of the big six :rotfl:
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sam1974 wrote: »
    Pfffft collective fix is hardly a deal !

WHAT YOU'RE CURRENTLY PAYING £115/month £1,381/year

npower - an extra £373/yr but you'll get £25 cashback
    Estimated new costs £1,754/yr - £146/month

Various others inbetween, then:-

EDF Energy - an extra £516/yr but you'll get £25 cashback
    Estimated new costs £1,897/yr - £158/month

Really ::eek: obviously npower isn't one of the big six :rotfl:
    EDF online is cheaper than npower, before I take into account cashbacks. Mind my monthly use estimates is under half yours :eek:
  • fredandwilma
    Options
    Bobblehat wrote: »
    Tell me where I can find Martin's comments on this .... I'd love to read them!

Here:-

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/?_ga=2.115109063.1980190342.1504677060-1197782252.1504677060
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • mikeyorkie10
    Options
    hubb wrote: »
    Which is the best comparison site if we are to find our own way this year, the energy club ?
    I think you just have to try them all as not all companies appear on all sites !
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I jumped to npower last week anyway - slightly above average use . Club is highlightling edf ... but below it lists npower as cheaper
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure